Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regardless of who started throwing it off the backboard, Jamal has made it HIS move.

It's like the hook shot was for kareem.
Tossing it off the backboard and dunking it with two hands is to Jamal.

Knicks have started not completely sucking.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I can see the NBA banning that move because it could lead people to throw it off the backboard when theyre shooting free throws. Like for example, when Miami was down to Houston by 2 and Wade was on the line and had one more FT. He had to miss on purpose. I mean whats to stop him from throwing it hard off the backboard and getting the rebound and hitting the J for the tie or the 3 for the win?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
DuMa said:
I can see the NBA banning that move because it could lead people to throw it off the backboard when theyre shooting free throws. Like for example, when Miami was down to Houston by 2 and Wade was on the line and had one more FT. He had to miss on purpose. I mean whats to stop him from throwing it hard off the backboard and getting the rebound and hitting the J for the tie or the 3 for the win?
What is wrong with throwing it off the backboard to yourself, it breaks no rules and it is not that much of an advantage especially off of free throws because the ball might actually go in ( ie antoine walker and dirk nowitzki) also the other team has the opportunity to grab the ball off te backboard so it should be allowed.

·
Registered
6,767 Posts
DuMa said:
Rules that state it has to hit the rim. Duh

·
Registered
785 Posts
kg_mvp03-04 said:
What is wrong with throwing it off the backboard to yourself, it breaks no rules.
Actually if you follow the rules stricktly it shouldn't be allowed. you can't throw the ball up without a "try to shoot at the basket"
and than catch the ball. it's traveling/double dribble violation.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
kg_mvp03-04 said:
What is wrong with throwing it off the backboard to yourself, it breaks no rules and it is not that much of an advantage especially off of free throws because the ball might actually go in ( ie antoine walker and dirk nowitzki) also the other team has the opportunity to grab the ball off te backboard so it should be allowed.
well if you ever played a game of 21 in your life, you could see how easy it is to throw the ball off the backboard to yourself on the FT line before players are able to get it. anyway i dont think it violates rules, just that one instance in FT situations. In game sequences, however are all legal imho.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
DuMa said:
well if you ever played a game of 21 in your life, you could see how easy it is to throw the ball off the backboard to yourself on the FT line before players are able to get it. anyway i dont think it violates rules, just that one instance in FT situations. In game sequences, however are all legal imho.
Not really. If the opposing team is positioned correctly and if you box out the shooter correctly you should be able to pretty easily rebound the ball. Plus, it has to hit the rim when you're on the FT line.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
q said:
Rules that state it has to hit the rim. Duh
yeah i was never sure of that until now. thanks for clarifying it

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
futuristxen said:
It's like the hook shot was for kareem.
Best comparison ever. ;)

Like Kareem's hook, Jamal's off-the-backboard dunk has to be considered one of the most consistent and feared offensive weapons ever. If you're not careful he'll do it to you (if you are a league) twice in a season.

Reactions: SeaNet

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Minstrel said:
Best comparison ever. ;)

Like Kareem's hook, Jamal's off-the-backboard dunk has to be considered one of the most consistent and feared offensive weapons ever. If you're not careful he'll do it to you (if you are a league) twice in a season.
:laugh:

LMAO, if you are a league... that's gold. :laugh:

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
Minstrel said:
Best comparison ever. ;)

:laugh:

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Minstrel said:
Best comparison ever. ;)

He starts off slow. I think by next season he'll be up to twice every four games. Five years from now, I bet he doesn't like, everytime down.

I mean, he always scores off of it. It's actually even more consistent than Kareem's hook. 100% success rate baby!

I mean. How are you going to defend it?
Rebound!? Hahaha. Right. Only Jamal knows where the ball is going.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright let me clear this up for you folks. It is not against the rules. The ball hits the backboard before he catches it again. Thus it's the same as a shot.

But it has become so frequent that scorekeepers are just counting the entire move as a shot, rather than a shot, miss, rebound, make.

·
Premium Member
3,482 Posts
futuristxen said:
Alright let me clear this up for you folks. It is not against the rules. The ball hits the backboard before he catches it again. Thus it's the same as a shot.

But it has become so frequent that scorekeepers are just counting the entire move as a shot, rather than a shot, miss, rebound, make.

Its not counted as a shot. Throwing the ball off the backboard is treated the same as the ball touching the floor, except that it is not part of a dribble.

This is a rule in all of basketball, not just the NBA.

Edit- Actually after asking a friend, I am not sure it is not counted as a shot. Seems to be that it depends on the officials judgement. Some officials will say that it is. Crawford was not given a missed attempt for it tonight, I checked.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
bballlife said:
Its not counted as a shot. Throwing the ball off the backboard is treated the same as the ball touching the floor, except that it is not part of a dribble.

This is a rule in all of basketball, not just the NBA.

Edit- Actually after asking a friend, I am not sure it is not counted as a shot. Seems to be that it depends on the officials judgement. Some officials will say that it is. Crawford was not given a missed attempt for it tonight, I checked.

It's not counted as 2 shots anymore(I think I made that unclear in my initial response). They were talking about it on TV one night. And they said that the scorekeepers just count it as one move. I know this is a fairly recent change. Because I remember a year ago when Jamal did it against the Sonics he got a missed shot, and a rebound. But I think the NBA has decided to just consider it all one move. Which kind of shows how it's becoming a normal move.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts