Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...lls-headlines

Apparently the Wizards tried to grab Crawford with the 11th pick. In hindsight, I may have made that deal knowing we could have addressed the SF need with the 17th pick with Qyntel Woods.

I am in no way dissatisfied with grabbing Jeffries and Dixon, but it is definitely a thought.

PG: Crawford/Whitney/Lue
SG: Hamilton/MJ/Davis
SF: Woods/Simmons
PF: Kwame/Etan/Laettner
C: Haywood/Jahidi

I doubt we would have gone after Hughes having secured Crawford. We might have made a stronger push for George, we might still have that exception right now and be making a run at Lewis.

It is all conjecture, but I think everyone knows MJ wants (wanted?) Crawford. I actually like our lineup right now over this proposed lineup.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
At this point in time (after using the exception on Hughes), I guess all talks on Crawford for Jeffries are history.

That being said, if this trade were still on the table, I'd take it as a Bulls fan. Initially, I wasn't very high on Jared Jeffries, but I liked what I saw of him in the Summer League, and adding a 3/4 player for a 1/2 player would solve a weakness in one position and a logjam in another. We could give the reins to JWill at PG and free up some of the minutes Crawford would have gotten at SG to give to Rose, Hassell, and ERob.

For the Wiz, however, I think it's too late to make this deal. Trading Jeffries (in december, of course, or whenever it is the trade could actually take place) would leave a good sized hole at SF, and with Hughes in the mix, Crawford wouldn't be a clear cut starter.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I agree. It is too late.

ANd I have high (homer) hopes for JJ. You will notice though that I have supported JJ from the day our draft position was anounced.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Obviously it wouldn't make sense now, but it would have back then, financially as well. Think about it; Crawford = no need for Hughes = MLE to be used on possibly Clark or Lewis. Lewis would fill the gap at SF had the Wizards not proceeded to take Woods with the 17, but the only reason he would sign for the MLE is to piss off the Sonics, and now he'll likely get a way better offer from the Mavs. But then, what about Clark? He's not re-signing with the Raptors, and the Wiz could have easily signed him for the MLE, had they drafted Woods with the 17, and have a much deeper lineup.

Ahh, what could have been. But we can't dwell on the past. :|

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
If Jeffries could be traded before December, I would suggest a deal of Crawford and ERob for Laettner and Jeffries. (of course, its all hypothetical, given that I highly doubt MJ and Krause would really have the trust to deal with each other).

If that deal could have been pulled off, however, it would open up minutes at SF for the Bulls to sign Matt Harpring, who apparently we really like, while still giving us a young player for Crawford (Jeffries) and a decent veteran backup (L8ner).

The Wiz get a real SF (ERob) to plug the hole left by Jeffries' departure, and get to unload L8ner, which frees up enough PT to re-sign Popeye to be the veteran caretaker in the frontcourt.

Oh well.

Was L8ner for ERob (as a stand alone deal) discussed here? My first guess is that neither team would like it much before the fact, and that, to me, is usually a sign that it's a pretty fair trade :grinning:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Is Crawford that much better than Hughes? Crawford is definitely the better outside shooter...other than that, it seems as though Hughes is better in every other catrgory. Hughes averaged more assists, steals, rebounds, and is a better overall defender and slasher than JC. In addition, Hughes is only what...a year older than JC if that?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Originally posted by local_sportsfan
Is Crawford that much better than Hughes? Crawford is definitely the better outside shooter...other than that, it seems as though Hughes is better in every other catrgory. Hughes averaged more assists, steals, rebounds, and is a better overall defender and slasher than JC. In addition, Hughes is only what...a year older than JC if that?
you forgot about TO's and FG% buddy :p

nobody wants a TO prone point guard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts