Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
J.Crawford vs. J.Williams and the rest of the fights.

Well, for once, K. C. Johnson seems to get things right.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...bulls,0,6541202.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

No more JC at shooting gaurd stuff. Big Bill C. finally puts it straight:

PG: Crawford vs. J.Will - J.Will will eventually win and JC will be gone. Brunson will win the right to ride the bench.

SG: Rose with Hassell to be 7th man of the year... if there was an award. Hoiberg will hang out until somebody gets hurt.

SF: E.Rob vs. Marshall - Simalar fight as PG position. E.Rob will be starter and Marshall will quick off the bench if Eddie dosen't defend and rebound.

PF: Chandler starts with Fizer as a possible 6th man of the year. Baxter and Marshall can both play quality minutes at PF... that may mean Fizer being shipped out to a team that needs a starter at PF.

C: Curry by default. Bagaric and Blount will fight for the 20+ back-up minutes because of Curry's poor D, weak rebounding, and foul problems. I hope Bagaric will start to look like a real back-up center.

[edited by Showtyme... no censored vulgarity... see guidlines, thanks]

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
But the Bulls' coach did know enough to say that one potential backcourt—with Jay Williams at point guard and Jamal Crawford at shooting guard—won't be happening either in a starting or reserve role.

"Not unless we get two or three guys injured," Cartwright said following a morning practice.

The announcement is a departure from the team's stance on draft night, when management tried to ease Crawford's apprehension with the selection of Williams by saying that the two could play together at times. That's what happened—with some success—in summer-league play.
Ouch. That Camby trade idea is looking better by the minute :)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Re: J.Crawford vs. J.Williams and the rest of the fights.

Originally posted by <b>jbob2</b>!
Well, for once, K. C. Johnson seems to get things right.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...lls-headlines

No more JC at shooting gaurd stuff. Big Bill C. finally puts it straight:

PG: Crawford vs. J.Will - J.Will will eventually win and JC will be gone. Brunson will win the right to ride the bench.

SG: Rose with Hassell to be 7th man of the year... if there was an award. Hoiberg will hang out until somebody gets hurt.

SF: E.Rob vs. Marshall - Simalar fight as PG position. E.Rob will be starter and Marshall will quick off the bench if Eddie dosen't defend and rebound.

PF: Chandler starts with Fizer as a possible 6th man of the year. Baxter and Marshall can both play quality minutes at PF... that may mean Fizer being shipped out to a team that needs a starter at PF.

C: Curry by default. Bagaric and Blount will fight for the 20+ back-up minutes because of Curry's poor D, weak rebounding, and foul problems. I hope Bagaric will start to look like a real back-up center.
Wow Mr Cleo... you get all that out of an article that doesn't say hardly any of those things?? I'm impressed!!!

JC isn't getting "shipped out" though, lol. He'll be in a Bulls uni AT LEAST until next year, prolly longer.... maybe forever.

Seriously though, I think these battles in training camp are going to be tooth and nail.

Everyone on this team, with the exception of Jalen is seemingly going to end up with 26-28mpg. And is there really anything wrong with that? Has anyone proven they can handle more???

·
Registered
27 Posts
'One plays, one sits': Cartwright says of Jamal and Jay

>>But the Bulls' coach did know enough to say that one potential backcourt—with Jay Williams at point guard and Jamal Crawford at shooting guard—won't be happening either in a starting or reserve role.

"Not unless we get two or three guys injured," Cartwright said following a morning practice.
-----
"You got Trenton Hassell back there [at shooting guard], who has been wonderful," Cartwright said. "You have Fred Hoiberg there, who is solid.

"We need point guards. Fortunately, we have two good ones. I feel that they'll get enough minutes to be happy—or at least make me happy."<<

My bet? Unless he's just thoroughly dominated during training camp, Jamal goes into the season starting. Jay's job is to outperfom him in subs minutes.

I wouldn't bet against it over the course of the season.

One other note of interest:

>>The Bulls have until Oct. 30 to exercise a team option on Crawford's rookie contract, which is standard practice for most lottery picks. If they don't, Crawford would become a restricted free agent after this season, allowing the Bulls to match other offers.<<

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...bulls,0,6541202.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
I believe that article is wrong.

If the Bulls do not pick up Crawford's option he is an unrestricted free agent next season. Not only that but if they tried to sign him with Bird Rights they could only sign him for the amount he would have been paid. If they wanted to pay him more, they would have to use their Mid Level exception. See the recent Devean George debalce for the Lakers for a similar situation.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I agree with Mike and disagree with JIM.

Clearly, the starting line-up will be Crawford, Rose, ERob, Chandler, and Curry.

Williams will replace Crawford very soon.
Hence, Crawford will be traded. I bet Jerry Krause is "in a way" trying to raise Crawford's value. My gut feeling tells me Crawford will not be a Bull after February. He is too valuable to keep on the bench. Williams is too good to keep on the Bench. Both can't play together so one must go and Crawford is that one.

It doesn't matter how good Jamal will be from now till February, he will be traded anyway. Well Unless, he can play the two.

With that starting line-up, a lot of teams will have problem trying to run with us. Even our bench, they are as good as the starting line-up. Blount, Fizer, Marshall, Hassell, Williams. Gezz, just in one year and we are ddeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Our bench of this year is better than our starting line-up of last year. Or the year before, before, and before.

Still, 40 wins would be enough. I don't want more and hope not less by much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If that is the case (Crawford is a free agent at seasons end if we do not pick up extension Oct 30), than come Halloween we'll know if Crawford is in Bull's future plans. If extension is not picked up, Krause is certainly gonna get something in return for him before the trading deadline. My personal opinion is that both Crawford and Fizer do not fit into Bulls future plans and will be traded, or should be at least. I like them as players, but for the organization, they're of greater value by trade midseason. I just cannot see either of them becoming better players than JWill or Chandler. I think the future lies in three guard rotation of Jay, Rose, Hassell and three forward rotation of ERob, Marshall, and Chandler (Obviously there are some scrub minutes in there somewhere). Center is set. Hopefully we can something of quality in return if indeed we do trade them.... I guess it will all unfold during the season....

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
I think you are right about the 3 guard rotation of jay,rose, and hassell and the 3 forwards of erob,marshall, and chandler with curry at center which is why i think jc and fizer should be packaged at some point for a legitimate backup C ( JC+Fizer for Nazr Mohammed?)to balance out the roster and have the rotation look something like this next season:

Jay,Mason
Rose,Hassell
Erob,Marshall
Chandler,Marshall
Curry,Mohammed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.