Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question here... who will make the better two-guard for the Bulls next season? Assuming Jay Williams is our PG of the future (and all indications are as such) and Rose is our 3 for the next 3-4 seasons, the only major minutes to be had are at the shooting guard position. Forget about all the hype surrounding these guys, draft slots, endorsements via MJ, etc.. and let's compare the two. [one note: E-Rob was purposefully left out of this debate b/c he is a buster; he's got his cheddar and is only good for two dunks a game]

1. Shooting - slight edge goes to Hassell; Crawford is a better pull up jumpshooter while Hassell excels off the pick and roll and shooting an open set shot; Hassell is a more dependable 3 point shooter

2. Passing - edge goes to Crawford; with Jay Williams and Rose handling the rock will Crawford get his touches? he needs to work on moving w/o the ball; Hassell is an adequate passer

3. Defense - big edge goes to Hassell, often matched up against the opposing team's best wing player (T-Mac, Kobe, Stack, etc), the Bulls best on the ball defender; Crawford is a decent defender though gets smashed on any pick-and-role

4. Rebounding - edge goes to Hassell; bigger body helps Trent grab a few more here

5. Intangibles - even; Hassell has earned the respect on the court w/ solid and consistent play, Crawford showed some flashes after coming back strong from his ACL injury

Don't get me wrong guys, I like Crawford a lot. But if I'm going to battle in the East next season, I want Hassell getting major minutes at the two. His solid defense, rebounding and shooting is something the Bulls need. Crawford has shown a nice floor game and outside touch, but I don't see his game fitting in well with Jay Williams on board. Yes, they can 'coexist' as everyone has been saying, but I don't think we'll see that situation too often. This is Jay williams' team now, and Crawford needs to either alter his game or get ready to pack his bags. If JK finds a worthwhile package, Crawford will be headed out West in no time.

Your opinions welcome.

VD

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I agree with most of your take on hassell and crawford except for one point. You said hassell is a better three point shooter than Crawford. I disagree. Crawford lit it up in threes last year when he came back from his injury. Granted it wasn't over a full season but i think he will do just fine in shooting the threes. Other than that one point, i agree with you. Good post!!

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Good post, but I also disagree about their shooting ability. The numbers don't lie, Jamal gets the edge in that category....

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by KC
Good post, but I also disagree about their shooting ability. The numbers don't lie, Jamal gets the edge in that category....
True, true. I didn't realize Crawford had such numbers (48%, 45% 3 point) over Trenton (43% on 36% 3pt). Then again, Crawford only played in 20 games or so, so its not the best statistical comparision.

Aside from the shooting argument, would you still give more minutes to Crawford over Hassell at the 2? Or does Crawford remain a PG and get minutes from Jay Williams?

VD

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by Vin Diesel
Assuming Jay Williams is our PG of the future (and all indications are as such) and Rose is our 3 for the next 3-4 seasons, the only major minutes to be had are at the shooting guard position.
I disagree with this premise. I don't think JWill is going to come in and pull 40 mpg at PG. I think there are plenty of minutes to go around for a 3-guard rotation. The two guard spots total 96 minutes of PT. Divided by 3, that's an average of 32 mpg for each player. The fact that both Craw and JWill can play either position means we can have any combination of the three out there at any given time.

·
A!
9,434 Posts
I say we give Jamal the opportunity to win the PG spot in camp, which we are, and if he fails, then I think we should try him out at the 2 for a couple weeks into the season and give him a chance to succeed. He has too much talent to sit on the bench, even though Hassell might be more prepared to play SG....

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Yeah, i agree with KC and Kneepad, there are plenty of minutes to go around for the guards, and we owe it to Jamal to at least try him as a two guard. Even if he doesn't work out there. we'll be able to at least showcase his talent and increase his value for a trade next summer, or even at the deadline if we're in the hunt for a playoff spot.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Personally, I think they should split minutes at the 2. Perhaps they will both be on the court at the same time with Crawford playing pg while Jay Will is resting. One thing Crawford needs to do better is penetrate. He has shown me nothing of that sort in all of the games I've seen him in. If he can beat his man off the dribble and get to the line, I give the edge to Crawford. I think Hassell is better as of right now, but Krause loves Crawford so I see him getting the nod.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
TOTALLY AGREE

Originally posted by truebluefan
I agree with most of your take on hassell and crawford except for one point. You said hassell is a better three point shooter than Crawford. I disagree. Crawford lit it up in threes last year when he came back from his injury. Granted it wasn't over a full season but i think he will do just fine in shooting the threes. Other than that one point, i agree with you. Good post!!
Yeah, I was just gonna say, lets re-assess these two after this season...or even the all star break. I think you will change your mind as to whom is the better player...all around.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
I think Hassell is going to be a very strong player. He showed more poise and readiness to contribute than any Bulls rookie since Brand, and still has considerable upside. He doesn't need to make drastic changes to any part of his game... all he needs is playing time to grow more and more comfortable and confident with his shot and defense.

And Hassell can be a fairly strong scorer, I think, in the way his game resembles the game of Hersey Hawkins in his Philly days (actually, I only know Hawkins' game from the occasional films of watching Barkley back in the day... I saw more of his game in the down swing of his career in Charlotte and Seattle). Hawkins had a pretty decent career, and he showed a lot of skill and professionalism, even in his short stint with the Bulls. And Hawkins could drain the three at any given moment. I'd love to see Hassell pan out into that kind of player.

Crawford, on the other hand, could come on extremely strong this year. But as BCH and others have been pointing out, players need to show up and reveal a DIFFERENCE in their games on the COURT... Craw would have to show an actual difference in the direction of his game, rather than just continuing to improve in the direction he has been taking. Because so far, he is a guard that has good quickness and dribbling skills, but holds the ball too long. He has a sweet shot and a very nice jumper, along with good athleticism but a slight frame.

Crawford needs to continue to bulk up, but also show more half-court penetration skills, and develop his mental game. He is, in essence, still somewhat raw. There IS more upside (we could see a lanky GP-style shooting guard)

Hassell, on the other hand, is not raw. Were he on another team, he could probably step in and be the sixth man type player right away.

So what might be ideal is for Hassell to get primary minutes at SG while Crawford gets consistent PT but not in huge chunks. This might actually push Craw to develop faster, because of the competition... last year, he had the luxury of getting a lot of minutes at PG, and while he showed up big, he might develop quicker with fewer but more quality minutes. And when Crawford warrants more minutes, he can start taking them. And Hassell might be able to spot minutes at SF, if Robinson ends up being injured again.

And Mason Jr. picks up whatever scrap minutes are leftover, unless HE shows himself to be worthy of more.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Am I the only one?

Who wants to keep Crawford!? Every trade proposal has him involved...why? Because he is extremely talented, better than Hassell I say!! I think Jamal should be starting at SG next season. Anyone here feel the same??

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Keep Crawford.

As per my post, he is not better than Hassell, though he has more potential. Hassell is going to surprise a lot of people too, though, and if the Bulls are wise they will make keeping him as much a priority as Crawford.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I think it's a tough comparison because you are comparing a guy who played hardly any college ball, hardly any ball his rookie season, and hardly any ball this season due to the ACL injury with a guy who has played 4 years of college ball and 1 full season of pro ball. Sure, Hassell is more polished right now (which should be expected) but JC has SO much potential. I think that there are plenty of minutes in a three guard rotation. I envision Crawford being the starting pg at the begining of the season, JWill will gradually beat him out of it, but both will get heavy minutes, JC will get about 20mpg at the point and about another 10-12mpg at the 2, JWill will get the remaining 28mpg at pg IMO. I also disagree with the statements about E-Rob. The guy has been injured and people ought to cut him some slack. I also would not be one bit surprised if NEITHER Trent or JC are the starting 2 guard. I could envision the Bulls moving Rose to the 2 and sliding E-Rob, or possible free agent acquisition Matt Harpring in to man the 3.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My personal opinion, deal Crawford, only if you can get a proven talent for him. Sure, he could be one of the top players in the league some day, but he can just as easily turn out to be a bust. I'm all for keeping Crawford, but if we can get gold (or silver) for an unproven player, pull the trigger!

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I wonder if thats what GS was thinking when they traded Carter for Jamison. Maybe thats what Portland was thinking when Davis was dealt for J. O'neal?

·
Registered
62 Posts
As I was reading this thread for the first time, I was thinking exactly what you posted above, Ace. Hassell has a good deal more experience than Crawford at this point in time, and is drawing upon his experience to perform at a higher level than JC on defense and certain aspects of the offensive game. However, I believe that JC has more raw skills that will ultimately take him to a higher level as he matures as a player. I also agree that we are likely to see Rose and Robinson (if healthy) starting and finishing games at the 2 and 3 spots.

I expect playing time in the guard court will be determined by matchups and by who is performing at the highest level as the season progresses. But even if they don't start, there will still be plenty of minutes for Crawford and Hassell. Fizer has demonstrated that you don't have to start the game to be a major contributor for the Bulls.

I expect all these guys to show marked improvement this season and am anxious to watch them develop individually as players and gel as a team. Go Bulls!

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I agree Proffessor. Perhaps the best thing about THIS Bulls roster is that there will be players pushing each other at nearly every position. It will help JC develop to have JWill breathing down his neck, likewise with Hassell & Mason/Crawford, Chandler/Fizer Baxter, Rose/E-Rob. It should be an interesting season! I'm just hoping the Bulls can squeak into the playoffs this year. Go Bulls!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Speaking of erob, why is everybody so down on him. Sure he was injured, but if I remembered correctly he scored well during the few times he got to play this season.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Originally posted by Showtyme
I think Hassell is going to be a very strong player. He showed more poise and readiness to contribute than any Bulls rookie since Brand, and still has considerable upside. He doesn't need to make drastic changes to any part of his game... all he needs is playing time to grow more and more comfortable and confident with his shot and defense.

And Hassell can be a fairly strong scorer, I think, in the way his game resembles the game of Hersey Hawkins in his Philly days (actually, I only know Hawkins' game from the occasional films of watching Barkley back in the day... I saw more of his game in the down swing of his career in Charlotte and Seattle). Hawkins had a pretty decent career, and he showed a lot of skill and professionalism, even in his short stint with the Bulls. And Hawkins could drain the three at any given moment. I'd love to see Hassell pan out into that kind of player.

Crawford, on the other hand, could come on extremely strong this year. But as BCH and others have been pointing out, players need to show up and reveal a DIFFERENCE in their games on the COURT... Craw would have to show an actual difference in the direction of his game, rather than just continuing to improve in the direction he has been taking. Because so far, he is a guard that has good quickness and dribbling skills, but holds the ball too long. He has a sweet shot and a very nice jumper, along with good athleticism but a slight frame.

Crawford needs to continue to bulk up, but also show more half-court penetration skills, and develop his mental game. He is, in essence, still somewhat raw. There IS more upside (we could see a lanky GP-style shooting guard)

Hassell, on the other hand, is not raw. Were he on another team, he could probably step in and be the sixth man type player right away.

So what might be ideal is for Hassell to get primary minutes at SG while Crawford gets consistent PT but not in huge chunks. This might actually push Craw to develop faster, because of the competition... last year, he had the luxury of getting a lot of minutes at PG, and while he showed up big, he might develop quicker with fewer but more quality minutes. And when Crawford warrants more minutes, he can start taking them. And Hassell might be able to spot minutes at SF, if Robinson ends up being injured again.

And Mason Jr. picks up whatever scrap minutes are leftover, unless HE shows himself to be worthy of more.
J-Craw played much better when he started at the end of last season, although he's capable of coming off the bench too. I think Crawfords raw-ness makes it difficult for him to play spot minutes. I'd like to see JCraw start this season along side Hassell, and then after about 8 minutes, depending on match-ups, JWill can come in and either JCraw slides over to the 2 or Hassell comes up. The three of them makes for a very solid rotation. There's no way you can say JWill will completely lock-up all the minutes at the 1. If anything he'll earn his share (32min) as Kneepad suggested.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts