Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a few posters in the Bassy Telfair thread talking about Jameer, and that got me to make this thread. Do you think that Jameer will be a good player in this league and how good do you think he'll be.

For me, definately yay. I see him being at least a borderline all-star, but I can see him making a few all-star appearances, and maybe even develop into a close to perrenial all-star. Once he improves his jumper a bit more (it's already not that bad), he will be a very good player. He is a tremendous passer, has great shot-selection, decent jump-shot, a good rebounder for his size, great at getting steals, a pesky defender, great quickness, great cross-over, and he also is a good decision maker and doesn't have a lot of turnovers like a lot of rookie point guards. Ever since being put in the starting line-up, he is averaging 16 ppg/4.3 rpg/5 apg/3 spg/2.1 tpg/54% FG/31% 3P/38 mpg. Those are great stats for a rookie point guard. I still think the best comparison for him is Tim Hardaway, and I think he could reach that level.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Yay.

I fell in love with his game when he was in St. Joe's, and I'm glad to see he's finally getting the PT he deserves in Orlando. He's everything I'd want in a PG, knows when to take the initiative, and has great field goal percentage. I definitely see him becoming at least a very good role player, kinda like Mike Bibby in his old Sacramento form.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pan Mengtu said:
He's already a good player in this league.
The thread is meant to describe how good you think he'll be in the future and throughout his career.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think he will progress along side Dwight Howard and will become an inside-outside threat. I think he'll be in the all-star game at least once in his career.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Yay.

I think when you look at the Magic in the future, the makeup of the franchise will be Howard, the clear franchise player, surrounded hopefully by some solid role players like Nelson, Hedo, and players we'll acquire in the future. I could see Nelson developing into an All-Star caliber player and potentially the leader of this team.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Yay. I think Nelson will be a nice player. Not a franchise-level player and perhaps not an All-Star. But a Chauncy Billups caliber player (not comparing styles and body types, just overall ability levels) is quite possible. A good building block around a top player (as Howard seems likely to become).

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Nay. Said it last year and I still believe it, Dalonte West was the jewel of that St. Joe's team. I haven't really seen him much this year because he's backing up Stevie Franchise and the Magic games I get to see are limited to pretty close to 0, but I was never impressed by any aspect of his game. For a starting NBA point guard not named Marbury, his passing and vision is average not special.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Nimreitz said:
Nay. Said it last year and I still believe it, Dalonte West was the jewel of that St. Joe's team. I haven't really seen him much this year because he's backing up Stevie Franchise and the Magic games I get to see are limited to pretty close to 0, but I was never impressed by any aspect of his game. For a starting NBA point guard not named Marbury, his passing and vision is average not special.
Neither have you read about him. He's not backing up Stevie Franchise anymore.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Nimreitz said:
Whatever. Dalonte is the better player and I don't see him making an all-star game in his career.
Wow, great response! You disproved all my points and have proved that Dalonte is way better than Jameer Nelson! Who is Dalonte anyway? I'm sorry, I'm a basketball idiot.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Nimreitz said:
Whatever. Dalonte is the better player and I don't see him making an all-star game in his career.
That was a homer comment man.. not saying you are but that was a homer comment.

2004-05
Statistics
PPG 7.6
RPG 2.20
APG 2.7

I think thats way better then this

2004-05
Statistics
PPG 4.3
RPG 1.70
APG 1.3
EFF + 5.26

Delonte is good but right now Nelson is having a way better season then him even if he only played 13 games.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Minstrel said:
Yay. I think Nelson will be a nice player. Not a franchise-level player and perhaps not an All-Star. But a Chauncy Billups caliber player (not comparing styles and body types, just overall ability levels) is quite possible. A good building block around a top player (as Howard seems likely to become).
I vote yay for the same reasons. He's not going to be a franchise player but he'll be among the several best PGs in the league and make an All Star game or two in his career.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yay, can't really complain, he'll be an average to above average player in the league. He's probably doesn't have the ability to be a top 10 or even a top 20 point guard but he'll be be okay. He won't improve much more than what he is now. He'll never be an all-star but a good player to have.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
Sambonius said:
Yay, can't really complain, he'll be an average to above average player in the league. He's probably doesn't have the ability to be a top 10 or even a top 20 point guard but he'll be be okay. He won't improve much more than what he is now. He'll never be an all-star but a good player to have.
How does he not have the ability to be a top 10 or 20 pg in the league? Aside from height, he has many of the same attributes as the best pgs in the league. He's a solid passer and decision-maker. He doesn't turn the ball over much. He's a very good scorer. His jumper is decent but he's improving his range. He's a strong defender and rebounder. His overall numbers as modest but since being given the starting job his numbers are excellent. With the way that he's playing right now, how can you possibly say that he's not going to be a top 10-20 player in the league several years down the line? He's already a top 20 pg right now. Considering his age and his skill set, it's not out of the question that he'll be a top 10 pg in the future. In fact, I think it's a strong possibility.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts