Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981435256

Rumors are swirling that the Thunder might be looking to shop James Harden this offseason? Speculation has Harden going to the Bobcats in exchange for their pick in this year's draft. James Harden had a breakout season and led the Thunder to the Finals against the Heat this past season. He was the 6th Man of the Year and was key to the Thunder's success.

The Bobcats had one of the poorest seasons of all-time this past season with a 7-59 record. The Bobcats have the 2nd pick in the draft and analysts have predicted them picking Bradley Beal with this pick. The Thunder have expressed interest in Bradley Beal, according to Bradley himself. The speculated deal would have Beal going to the Thunder in exchange for Harden. This looks like a perfect scenario for the Bobcats. By getting Ben Gordon from the Pistons just a few days ago, the addition of Harden could give them a very good 1-2 punch.

People may think the Thunder are crazy for trading an established player in Harden for a player that could end up being a playoff bust. But, this off-season finance is going to have a big effect on the Thunder's decision. If the Thunder decide to keep Harden, they will have to extend his contract before the July 1st deadline. If OKC were to extend this deal, they would likely end up passing the luxury tax threshold. Being a small market team, this would make it tough for the Thunder to survive. Even with such a great fan base in Oklahoma City, the team might not be able to be successful as a 'business' if they end up the luxury threshold.

Beal definitely has the potential to be as good if not better than Harden if everything falls into place. But for now no one can know for certain. Who do you think this deal benefits most?
Wow...just imagine how Harden would feel, going from the Western Conference Champions to the worst team in the NBA.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
It would be a brilliant move for OKC. Harden is going to command a significant contract and it will be difficult to retain him while keeping the rest of the team intact.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
If they do who do they take? Robinson is the likely guess but i say they try for a home run with MKG. Robinson just doesnt seem like a elite NBA PF but MKG has got it all if he can get the offensive game together

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
If they do who do they take? Robinson is the likely guess but i say they try for a home run with MKG. Robinson just doesnt seem like a elite NBA PF but MKG has got it all if he can get the offensive game together
Why take Robinson when you have Ibaka? If this goes down the pick has to be MKG. The only concern people have with the guy is his relative lack of upside, and that becomes a non-issue when you're putting him next to Durant and Westbrook. MKG's defense, attitude, and fundamentals are ideal for a team like OKC.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Would be a smart move from OKC. Harden is going to command a contract he doesn't deserve, and one you can't really keep in OKC if you want to grow at all.

I agree that picking up MKG would be the smart move. He just fits in there on that team so well. Not to mention expectations get sheltered when you're playing on a stacked team like the Thunder.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
If the Thunder swap Harden for Kidd-Gilchrist they just don't have enough offense unless they trade Serge Ibaka for a scoring 4 and possibly move Thabo as well for more offense. Harden's lack of offensive production is one of the big things that cost OKC the title, along with turnovers and a few questionable decisions by the refs. Durant and Westbrook are going to get theirs, but when the rest of your rotation is Perkins, Ibaka, Thabo, Collison, Maynor, and a rookie that can't shoot or dribble, you aren't winning it all.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Would be a smart move from OKC. Harden is going to command a contract he doesn't deserve, and one you can't really keep in OKC if you want to grow at all.

I agree that picking up MKG would be the smart move. He just fits in there on that team so well. Not to mention expectations get sheltered when you're playing on a stacked team like the Thunder.
Exactly, my thoughts. Keeps the OKC machine going too. They can re-sign Russ and Ibaka next and get replacement on a rookie deal. Also, agree about MKG.

Almost seems like too perfect and they won't do it - will be stuck in the future. Or they'll wait too long.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Exactly, my thoughts. Keeps the OKC machine going too. They can re-sign Russ and Ibaka next and get replacement on a rookie deal. Also, agree about MKG.

Almost seems like too perfect and they won't do it - will be stuck in the future. Or they'll wait too long.
I'm crossing my fingers. I'm pretty excited for the draft tonight and any trades that happen.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
People dont get that MKG got a offensive game the guy was a guard in highschool and got push to a position he didnt know in college SF and was giving the ball to everyone else around him

Give MKG a chance to be a scorer i think he could do it

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
People dont get that MKG got a offensive game the guy was a guard in highschool and got push to a position he didnt know in college SF and was giving the ball to everyone else around him

Give MKG a chance to be a scorer i think he could do it
And what better place to show that than the Thunder? I wouldn't be surprised if he blew up like Harden did with all that weak coverage.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
The thing is, trading for MKG allows the Thunder to be players with their MLE over the next few years in order to find a big man who can score in the paint. That is by far, the one thing they desperately need.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts