Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
James 'Just Looking For One Team To Believe In (Him)'
Boston Globe - Mike James is expected to decline his player option for 2006-2007 and become a free agent. James realizes that his reputation may make some teams reluctant to offer him a lucrative contract.

''I'm a pit bull because I'm misunderstood," said James. ''A pit bull is the sweetest, most loving dog in the world and full of energy. But if crossed, they've got lockjaw. When I lock on to something, I'm not letting go."

''I'm not looking for all 30 teams to love me," said James. ''I'm just looking for one team that's going to believe in me and treat me as if I can really help that team win a championship at the helm. ...
Link

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
It's hard to predict where the market will go but I'm guessing at least one or two teams will offer more than that.

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
man, this guy was not born to be a free agent. it doesn't really concern me, though. if anything, it kind of supports the argument that he won't be satisfied with a big contract. i mean, he's not treating his current situation in a typical way, so i don't know how easy it would be to treat him like your 'typical' money-hungry free agent. part of me thinks he doesn't know how to handle himself right now because, well, he rarely thinks about it. he's too focused on his game. i dunno.

maybe i'm giving him too much credit here but his recent behavior through the media hasn't really alarmed me. he's not comfortable with it, i guess- which, for me, might symbolize a player who plays less for the $$$ than some of his peers. i mean, who knows how he'll react upon getting paid, but really, this guy hasn't exactly been struggling financially to date. his contract now is already relatively big- it's not like he's even going to double his pay this summer (even :)).

it's not like jyd going from 1.5 to 6 or whatever, or vince going from 4 to 12. i mean, mike might go from 3.5 to 6 (max). and to be honest, while i think most people know this already, it's still worth pointing out: considering the palpable fire he exudes on the court, i don't think you have to worry about mike pitching a tent and lightin' a cuban after he signs. if anything, he'll just want to prove himself again. in other words, if he isn't satisfied yet, he'll never become satisfied. never. players like that usually operate in the face of the 'next illusion' (i.e. the imminent contract)- and when they sign it, and uncover it as an illusion, they just find something else to keep them motivated. that's just the habit. if you're 30 and you're still not satisfied, i don't think you'll ever be satisfied- fatter pocketbook or not.

we'll see, i guess, but i'm thinking that most of those who 'believe' that mike james'll sell out and live at the bank next year are probably just fans who don't like his game that much already. i don't think there are many fans who really believe he'll do that. i think we're just trying to confirm our respective biases. reading over this post, i guess i got one too.

peace

·
Registered
401 Posts
He plays hard. Competes like crazy. Except for shot selection (sometimes) and lack of passing ability, i think he's been fantastic for us. Everyone can complain as much as they want about his recent comments (which is fair...some of what he's said has been very questionable) but the reality is i am glad he was here this year.

I doubt anyone can disagree with that. Anyone wish we DIDN"T have him this year?

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Raptors should sign him to a reasonable 4-year deal and have him provide veteran leadership the entire time, which the Raptors need. He'll start for a couple or three years and slide to the bench easily because he's such a classy guy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
He would be great for us at the 2. I think we need more of a pass first point guard and he could distribute to James. However that would mean Mo Pete would sit on the bench or play the 3 and if he plays the 3 then Charlie is not starting either. That being said, i say get a S&T if we can, if not let him go!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.