Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a UVM fan on this site said that UVM now has the full 13 scholarship allotment.

I was wondering if they will offer 5'11 point guard James Sorrentine, TJ's little brother. I've posted before how I saw him as a junior and really liked his game. Picture perfect jump shot, gets good elevation and a great follow through. Also has good speed and can run up and down the court all day. Biggest weakness is a lack of physical strength, but that can be improved with a good weight program.

Last I read he was being recruited heavily by DII NE-10 schools, but not much serious DI interest, which I find hard to understand. Based on what I saw, he has a better shot than his brother and could be a good PG in this conference.

Any news on him?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I actually just found out about T.J.'s brother, James last night after reading the UVM 03-04 yearbook thing. I was actually going to make a post inquiring about him. I guess he plays for their father at St. Raphaels Academy in RI. From what I've seen and heard UVM has signed two players Schneider and Duell and has 2 scholarships remaining. I have no idea what or who or how those scholarships will be used. UVM will need guards by 05-06 but UVM is more in need of big men in 04-05. I'd like to see UVM spend one scholarship on a guy 6'8" or bigger and the other on a guard. If that guard happens to be T.J.'s little Bro I would feel more confident about UVM's future.

If his shot actually is better than T.J.'s then IMHO, James would be recruited by a D-I school. My how the memories of 01-02 fade.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's got a great jumper and with his elevation he can get it off against almost any guard.

I also read he may do a year of prep school. He really just needs strength and little more maturity, all the tools are there.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'd like to read what ever it is you've read. Is it online? If so what's the link?

A year of prep may be better for James than redshirting at UVM. With Hehn, Jensen, T.J., Goia, Njila plus redshirt Kyle Cieplicki coming back next year another freshman guard wouldn't play much.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw him play in the National Prep School Tournament last year against Miami Senior High School, so I'm drawing off my own observations.

I read the prep school thing off some message board. Rivals.com had reported in the fall that Vermont, New Hampshire, Holy Cross, and Colgate had shown early interest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts