Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping this guy was not going to push himself as high as he is rumored to be going now. I have thought he would be the perfect fit for the Wizards at the SF spot with the 11th pick. Now it seems he will be long gone by then.

He seemed to have the versatility the Wizards currently use from the SF spot. For everything that MJ brings to the table, Jeffries has the ability to at least mimic with his driving, rebounding, shooting, and passing. Plus his size would not cause him to be a liability.

That leaves the Wizards currently with the 11th and 17th picks. A lot will depend on who falls to the 11th on Draft day, assuming the Wizards use their picks. If Wagner falls, It is hard to envision the Wizards not grabbing him, even though they have not worked him out.

The problem that leaves is that what SF are they going ot be looking for at 17? Hoping Nachbar falls is probably hoping too much with Houston needing a SF at 15. I think questions about Wagner's ability to run a team will mean the Wizards might pass on him and take the best SF available knowing that with Wagner, Dickau, Williams, and Welsch there after that pick, they will get a PG.

Here are some assumptions I have made. I am assuming the Wizards would accept any one of the PGs listed and that all 4 of them will not be taken with picks 12 through 16, though it is possible, I am also assuming that Wagner drops to 11. That may not be as much of a stretch because the depth at F and the propensity to bet on big.

The possible scenarios are large indeed on draft day and these were just some random thoughts after the latest trade.

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Originally posted by BCH
I was hoping this guy was not going to push himself as high as he is rumored to be going now. I have thought he would be the perfect fit for the Wizards at the SF spot with the 11th pick. Now it seems he will be long gone by then.

He seemed to have the versatility the Wizards currently use from the SF spot. For everything that MJ brings to the table, Jeffries has the ability to at least mimic with his driving, rebounding, shooting, and passing. Plus his size would not cause him to be a liability.

That leaves the Wizards currently with the 11th and 17th picks. A lot will depend on who falls to the 11th on Draft day, assuming the Wizards use their picks. If Wagner falls, It is hard to envision the Wizards not grabbing him, even though they have not worked him out.

The problem that leaves is that what SF are they going ot be looking for at 17? Hoping Nachbar falls is probably hoping too much with Houston needing a SF at 15. I think questions about Wagner's ability to run a team will mean the Wizards might pass on him and take the best SF available knowing that with Wagner, Dickau, Williams, and Welsch there after that pick, they will get a PG.

Here are some assumptions I have made. I am assuming the Wizards would accept any one of the PGs listed and that all 4 of them will not be taken with picks 12 through 16, though it is possible, I am also assuming that Wagner drops to 11. That may not be as much of a stretch because the depth at F and the propensity to bet on big.

The possible scenarios are large indeed on draft day and these were just some random thoughts after the latest trade.

I would say package the picks, but I seriously doubt any top 5 team besides Denver would want to do it, because they need help seriously, and 11 and 17 would be great to find some good players. If Washington keeps them, at 11, draft Qyntel Woods, or maybe, just maybe Jefferies or Butler would slip. Then at 17 I would say Dan Dickau or Jiri Welsch is a safe bet.

I'd bet on Dickau, he's more of a pure PG than Welsch is, Welsch is a Point Forward. I would also suspect Hubert Davis and Jahidi White to be trade somewhere as well. Davis wouldn't get much PT, and White is backing up Kwame Brown and Etan Thomas. Or trade Etan, whoever the Wizards like better keep.

Just My $0.02:D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Trading Courtney was a masterstroke.

Not so much for the amount of cap room it saved by trading him - in fact by factoring in #11 and #17 , Washington have increased their payroll by approximately $500K, BUT they essentially have got two players for pretty well the same cost on the payroll

The point is though a logjam has been relieved where there was an unproductive waste and you will get 2 very nice players for only $500K more.

I would peg Caron Butler at #11 or if he is not available , Phoenix who are in bad a$$ luxury tax trouble could palm off Randy Brown at $2.7M to the cap friendly Wiz in exchange for a pick swap whereby the Wiz get #9 and maybe choose between Jeffries or Butler as their 3 .

The Wiz would still have #17 where they could take say Frank Williams. I say Frank Williams asit appears Dickau will be gone at #16. Anyway Frank is a big defensive point that could fit well with Rip ( given his defensive shortcomings )

With Butler at the 3 your perimeter defense is addressed.

Anyway the point is with both draft picks signed , the Wiz would have 12 players at $30M - add in a 2nd rounder and a resigned Bobby Simmons for say $500K and that is 14 players for $31M

That leaves $11 ( the max ) to take payroll up to $42M and to make a run at Mike Bibby . Sacto have a qualifying offer for 5.5M which if he accepts and he stays will put Sacto's payroll to $60M

It really is a matter whether the Maloofs want to pay a crapload of tax next summer ,or if Bibby wants to compete for a ring again next season and earn half of what Washington could afford to pay him.

Of note , only Washington and the Clippers can pay him this amount of money outright if he does not go the sign and trade route

If not Bibby this year , then there is always Kidd, Payton, Davis and Miller ( maybe ) next year to try and pitch toward.

A Wiz line up of

Bibby/Williams/Whitney/Hubert
Rip/ Jordan/Hubert
Butler ( or Jeffries ) / Simmons
Brown/Thomas/L8
Hayward/ White

looks pretty appealing

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fully believe that when the Wizards do get their cap room they intended to make a run at FAs like Bibby. MJ is known to really like Mike Bibby and made him one the guys on Team Jordan.

Bibby is a restricted FA and if he accepted a restricted offer would be a complete FA after next year, when the Wizards have the cash. It is ppossible that the takes one more year to become an unrestricted FA rather than get lowballed by the Kings.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Well BCH, you got your man. This was a nice pickup at #11. I felt that Dixon was a reach in the 1st round.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts