1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6'8" 260
Power Forward
Class of 2010 (Ohio State)

Just watched him dismantle #1 Findlay Prep with 32 points and 17 rebounds. Absolutely dominated Tristan Thompson and Findlay he is the real ****ing deal. Would not be surprised to see him win Big 10 POY next year.

Has lost quite a bit of fat and has gotten into better shape. Has soft hands, good footwork, and is very skilled. Could be a lottery pick in 2011.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
He is like the next Kevin Love
And at this point is the best HS player along with Knight and Barnes
Not as much NBA potential though IMO

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I think he will be close to Jefferson, I'm not sure he will be that good though.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Sullinger should go #1 but he won't because he ain't sexy enough. I am not so sure how "undersized" he is going to measure either. Looks to be longer than Horford though not the athlete but looks to be a pre-draft conditioning program away from being a passable NBA athlete.

Should be a good fit in Toronto, Washington, Detroit, Milwaukee, Golden State, Indiana, etc.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I mean.... I wouldn't draft him #1, but yeah he's good. I just don't trust 6'8'' post scorers as that high of a pick, but I suppose if no one else stands out you could do worse. Can't be worse than Blair, and he had a good rookie campaign.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't take him #1 either, not over Kyrie Irving. Irving is the most talented kid to suit up for Duke in a long time and I can say that with great confidence after watching him twice.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I wouldn't take him #1 either, not over Kyrie Irving. Irving is the most talented kid to suit up for Duke in a long time and I can say that with great confidence after watching him twice.
:laugh: that just sounds funny...

I don't know if i'd take him #1 overall (yet at this point you can make an argument), but the kid is GOOD. He doesn't seem THAT undersized to me, he has good length, great vision (for a BIG) and has helped tOSU become a top 5 defense, and top 25 defensive rebounding team as well. Needs to trim some of that baby fat tho but he seems like hard worker and a good kid which is a plus..

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I haven't seen Irving enough to have an opinion, but I have absolutely formed an opinion of a player by seeing him once or twice. To be honest that's usually all it takes.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I was just saying it 'sounded' funny, Nim. Not that he couldn't come to a conclusion after watching 2 games (although i prefer 5 or so). Anyways, Irving is the real deal, dude looked nearly unguardable..and could shoot(gasp)!

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
It does seem odd that elite guards don't take their entire senior year and work on their jumpshot. How much better are they really going to get at seeing the open man or getting by a defender?

·
do better
41,522 Posts
It does seem odd that elite guards don't take their entire senior year and work on their jumpshot. How much better are they really going to get at seeing the open man or getting by a defender?
Those top flight HS programs aren't always about prepping you to be a complete player, they're trying to win games, so a lot of players get caught in the trap of doing what works on that level while not necessarily thinking about the next. Only thing you can think of with these guards especially.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Those top flight HS programs aren't always about prepping you to be a complete player, they're trying to win games, so a lot of players get caught in the trap of doing what works on that level while not necessarily thinking about the next. Only thing you can think of with these guards especially.
Yeah, I get that and I'm a very competitive person myself, but...

At some point you gotta take high school ball for what it is: a developmental youth league. If you lose, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world for the player. Players, even without the coach, should be working on skills, not on running plays. The elite guys generally haven't been recruited for their ability to run an offense anyway, and even if they were their HS Coach is probably teaching it wrong. The kids should treat this more like europeans treat their U-18 soccer teams. Winning isn't as important as individual development.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Yeah, I get that and I'm a very competitive person myself, but...

At some point you gotta take high school ball for what it is: a developmental youth league. If you lose, it sucks, but it's not the end of the world for the player. Players, even without the coach, should be working on skills, not on running plays. The elite guys generally haven't been recruited for their ability to run an offense anyway, and even if they were their HS Coach is probably teaching it wrong. The kids should treat this more like europeans treat their U-18 soccer teams. Winning isn't as important as individual development.
To the actual schools winning is important to maintaining status. Those prep schools make money off these tournaments and such, and you're not going to be invited if you're not perennial winners. To a prep school that doesn't have as solid a funding base as a public school, winning is probably more important than development.

It's up to the player to spend the extra hours off the court developing, because a coach is going to get out of you what you're best at, it's not really his job to develop you at any level besides like 11 year olds.

But I do agree in theory a system like the European leagues have would be more beneficial, especially back in the days where these HS kids were coming out and bombing left and right.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
It's up to the player to spend the extra hours off the court developing, because a coach is going to get out of you what you're best at, it's not really his job to develop you at any level besides like 11 year olds.
I'm going to disagree with you here, Dre. While winning should be important and even priority #1 if you have the talent, as a coach, you should WANT to develop your players to be the best they can be.

Now are you gonna gameplan to your star players weaknesses, no..but in practice is where you should be putting in the work on drills to strengthen the soft spots in a players game. When they gain confidence/routine/comfort on their shortcomings they'll try it in games and that's how they develop. Which in essence should make your squad even better.

i'm not saying they don't do this or if they don't that they're necessarily wrong, but as a coach myself, i believe developing your kids is part of the j.o.b. Especially in HS, where you can have kids in the program for up to 4 years (alot of time to work on different things). You shouldn't be the exact same player you were as a sophomore in you're senior year (in terms of skills).

Now if its one of these prep transfers and you only have him for a year, there's only so much you can do...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts