SPG .75
BPG .13
FG% .456
FT% .625
3P% .333
MPG 21.1

Scouting Report:
NBA Comparison: Allan Houston
Strengths: Quick first step enables him to gain solid separation from his defender ... Might be the best player in the nation when it comes to moving without the ball ... Unlike many young players Hayes is an wonderful mid-range shooter ... Patient scorer who doesn't force many shots that are not there ... Above average athleticism allows him to be a solid finisher in transition ... Smart player who has a great feel for the game ... His game savvy enables him to recognize mismatches and use his height to his advantage ... Effectively uses screens and quick catches to gain good shot opportunities ... Unselfish player who doesn't demand the ball on every possession ... Has legit three point range on his jumper ... When slashing to the basket he has the body control and strength to finish after contact ... Plays with a lot of poise as he is not one to play out of control ... Offensively he has the ability to take over a game with his shooting ... Can make some difficult shots no matter the defensive pressure ...

Weaknesses: Offensively Hayes needs to really focus on taking opposing defenders off the dribble ... Just an average passer at this point ... Improved court vision would better aid him when it comes to creating scoring opportunities for his teammates ... Remains an average defender despite his quickness due to lack of intensity ... Could stand to work on expanding his post skills to become more efficient on mismatches ... Fails to recognize double teams ... Lacks the ball handling ability to consistently take opposing defenders to the basket on isolation plays ... Tends to be a little turnover prone as he can get careless with the ball ... Settles too much for the perimeter jumper ... Doesn't do a good job of drawing fouls ... Despite his athleticism he is not the rebounder one should be at his college position of small forward ... Would benefit if he was to use a couple pump fakes to bait defenders into jumping into him on shots ala Reggie Miller ... Defensively he has to learn how to play the passing lanes better to gain easy steals ...
Notes: Pulled a rare collegiate double feat by being Southern Conference scoring champ as a freshman at Western Carolina, and then becoming Southeastern Conference scoring champ in his sophomore season at Georgia in 2001-2002 after sitting out the mandatory season for NCAA transfers…Has the prototypical body and athleticism for an NBA two guard, with the strength to play the 3 if necessary…Excellent athletic ability-very quick and great leaper.
NBAdraft.net

I don't know who Washington would want for him, but I think he would be a good player to get. He is only 24, so I think he would be a great fit because he can cover the 2 until Martell is ready in a year or 2.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hmmm....not a bad option. And fairly cheap too, just 2.5 mill this year and next. He's tall.....6'7. We might have to take back Chucky Atkins too for it to work, but he's got an expiring deal....have to take back more if you want to ship out Ruben's contract.

Ruben for Hayes, Atkins, and Calvin Booth works....but I dont think Washington would do that. Clearly they won't want to take back Juan Dixon, so the player to ship would have to be Ruben, Darius, or Theo....and I think either of the latter two are too valuable to give up for Hayes.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Nah, I'd rather see what Monia can do for a while before letting Webster in at full time. If we can't bring in a star level player, size should be our next priority.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Hayes is a solid player, and would be better than the two ex-Wizards we currently have. I'd trade Ruben for him w/o a second thought, but we'd have to find someone else to match up salaries.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
isnt he more of a sf than a sg

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I wouldn't mind getting Etan Thomas, in addition to Hayes, but I don't see a (realistic) way of making that happen.

Etan Thomas doesn't make near what Ratliff does, so unless Atkins were to be included in the deal, as well, that's out of the question.

I don't think they'd have any interest is swapping Thomas for Patterson as they already have a number of swing players (some who currently play big minutes and others who're looking to get big minutes in the near future). Maybe Atkins plus Hayes for Patterson and filler could be an option, depending upon what the so-called "filler" was? :whoknows: I don't think they'd be too interested in this, just throwin' it out there.

In my opinion, it looks as though the Wiz' are a bad-*** low-post player away from being a serious threat in the East (well, to some degree, they already are... but, I think they'd be much improved with that low-post threat), so I think that's what they'd be looking for.

If we were just going to be looking to acquire Hayes, alone, there aren't too many players on our roster who could be exchanged for him--if any (one-for-one). And, becuase both teams currently have a full roster of 15 players, neither are currently in the position to do a 2-for-1 deal. Also, I don't think Wiz' have anybody on the roster that they'd want to willingly waive, to make room for the additional player(s) that they'd be getting in return for Hayes.

Anyways, in an effort to wrap up my ramblings, I wouldn't mind getting--as stated above--both Hayes and Thomas, I just don't see any deals that would be enticing enough from the Wizards perspective. Part of that's because I don't really know what they'd be looking for in return. I'm just assuming it'd be a big man...

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Im not a big Jarvis fan, I think he is the perfect example of a ordinary player not too good and not too bad. I do think that we should pursue an Etan Thomas for Patterson deal. That would be great. Thomas has the enegry, rebounding ability and hair to be our second, cheaper coming of dare I say, Brian Grant?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Im not a big Jarvis fan, I think he is the perfect example of a ordinary player not too good and not too bad. I do think that we should pursue an Etan Thomas for Patterson deal. That would be great. Thomas has the enegry, rebounding ability and hair to be our second, cheaper coming of dare I say, Brian Grant?

·
Registered
568 Posts
ThatBlazerGuy said:
Off topic.....but I made that exact trade in NBA Live '06.

But I dont think there's any way Washington does it.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I wonder if they would do this trade...

Patterson, Smith and Detroits 2006 1st round pick for Etan Thomas and Peter John Ramos.

Blazers get a legit, tough, rebounding PF/C who can also block shots. Peter Ramos is a project, but at 7'3 and 20 years old, he is not worthless.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think we make out like bandits in that trade. I dont even know if the numbers work or not. The issue is though it leaves them very thin along the frontline. Pretty much Antwain, Brendan Haywood, and not much else.

Peter John Ramos > Ha Seung Jin???

·
Registered
20 Posts
RPCity said:
Hmmm....not a bad option. And fairly cheap too, just 2.5 mill this year and next. He's tall.....6'7. We might have to take back Chucky Atkins too for it to work, but he's got an expiring deal....have to take back more if you want to ship out Ruben's contract.

Ruben for Hayes, Atkins, and Calvin Booth works....but I dont think Washington would do that. Clearly they won't want to take back Juan Dixon, so the player to ship would have to be Ruben, Darius, or Theo....and I think either of the latter two are too valuable to give up for Hayes.

There is no way in he!! that you guys would want Hayes. His average will drop to about 8 pts, by years end. You all should start Dixon, from what I've seen so far he's shooting well...and besindes, you guys are not playing D anyway, so his size should not be a factor. You guys are to nit picky, and want to copy off everyone else in the league. Run Juan off screens, and actually set plays up for him, than he will not shoot as many pull up jumpers..thus guess what....providing you guys with much needed outside shooting. I've seen two games this year. The Blazers run plays for Patterson and Randolph to shoot on a regular basis? Common sense would be to run more plays for the shooter. Webster should play the 3, and should be eased into the rotation...and Monia should be fazed out.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
dcfan said:
There is no way in he!! that you guys would want Hayes. His average will drop to about 8 pts, by years end. You all should start Dixon, from what I've seen so far he's shooting well...and besindes, you guys are not playing D anyway, so his size should not be a factor. You guys are to nit picky, and want to copy off everyone else in the league. Run Juan off screens, and actually set plays up for him, than he will not shoot as many pull up jumpers..thus guess what....providing you guys with much needed outside shooting. I've seen two games this year. The Blazers run plays for Patterson and Randolph to shoot on a regular basis? Common sense would be to run more plays for the shooter. Webster should play the 3, and should be eased into the rotation...and Monia should be fazed out.
so..we should faze out a 6'8" guy who plays defense and shoots better..because you think Juan Dixon walks on water?

Neither MOnia or Dixon should be "fazed" out, altho Dixon should never have been signed in the first place.

play re-incarnate?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts