Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allan Houston, Chris Webber, Penny Hardaway, Jason Kidd.

All of them had the same microfracture surgery on their knee, and only a few years a part from one another, why is it that Kidd who went through the surgery most recently has suffered the least amount of a setback to his game? Has the technology improved that much in such a short time?

I think the fact he's still a great player is remarkable, I was expecting him to take a step back like some of the other players. Webber's practically dragging a leg around, and here is Kidd running the court. Amazing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think it's different for him... because mainly those guys surgery was done on a weight bearing area. Kidd's wasn't... and it was on a non-weight bearing area. Thats what I've read and been told... So I guess it being done on weight baring or non-weight baring area has a big effect on a palyer.

I still think he has his ups and downs (some times he looks great, some times he seems like he's off) but most of the time he is able to play and run the offense like he can.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Kidd's surgery was different in that it was on a non-weightbearing part of the knee. I don't know anything about knee surgeries, so that's as much detail as I can get into it, but there was a lot of talk about that aspect last summer and fall.

Kittles had it a few years ago, I believe, and he seemed fully recovered and as fast as ever all of last year. Of course, he had more knee troubles this season.

It is amazing though. I haven't thought about Kidd's knee since December.

·
Banned
22,939 Posts
schub said:
It is amazing though. I haven't thought about Kidd's knee since December.

That is true. Sometimes it'll pop into my head if he takes a hard fall or something along those lines, but I haven't thought "They should let him rest his knee" or anything like that in quite a while.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Also,

Could it be that Kidd actually rehabbed properly? I'm pretty sure that Houston and Webber tried to come back too soon. Dunno about Penny.

Also, Webber was averaging 20 and 10 before he got traded out of Sacremento. So I don't think he was doing too badly. I admit he wasn't the old CWebb, but he wasn't doin too badly.

Even if the Nets make the playoffs, we'll be out after the first round so hopefully that will give him more rest/recuperation.

And with RJ back, hopefully Kidd can play under 30 min or under a game.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
schub said:
Kittles had it a few years ago, I believe, and he seemed fully recovered and as fast as ever all of last year. Of course, he had more knee troubles this season.
Kittles had his knee cleaned up a little this off season, but his main problems have been back related this time. I get the feeling he didn't properly rehabilitate the knee after this surgery, rushed back, and when over compensating for the knee injured the back. That's the theory I think I read about it.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Netted- said:
Kittles had his knee cleaned up a little this off season, but his main problems have been back related this time. I get the feeling he didn't properly rehabilitate the knee after this surgery, rushed back, and when over compensating for the knee injured the back. That's the theory I think I read about it.
Sounds reasonable, but Kittles has had problems avoiding injuries his whole career.

-Petey

·
Registered
685 Posts
The injury which caused Kidd to need surgery occurred the first game of the '03-'04 season. He played through it all season and through the playoffs, although he did take several games off near the end of the season. The primary consequence of the injury was postgame swelling of the knee. Otherwise the injury didn't slow him down much if at all.

To me it makes sense: it shouldn't be so hard to recover when the injury was not debilitating in the first place.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Maybe it's only psychological, but I think that Kidd this season is slower than Kidd in 2002-03 and 2003-04.

·
Registered
668 Posts
X-JAY said:
Maybe it's only psychological, but I think that Kidd this season is slower than Kidd in 2002-03 and 2003-04.
Slower in what way? We don't run, so of course we look slow. Kidd's dying to run, but if nobody wants to/can, then there's nothing he can do about it except wait for RJ to return. His lateral movement is not really there, but it will come. He is only 9 months removed from serious surgery.

Kidd felt like garbage last year. His left leg was useless and weak as hell. His knee feels infinitely better this year. He has had other nagging injuries not related to the knee. Is he still cautious on that knee? Yeah, who wouldn't be? You can't go through 5 months of intense, monotonous rehab (he rehabbed like a crazy man), and then NOT be scared that you might have to go through that all over again if something happens.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
slower than what...last year when he missed 15 games and could barely play against Detroit?

How does one determine, two years later, how much faster a player is than he was then...particularly on television?

I just got an HDTV set and I can tell you he looks faster now than he did on my old Magnavox.

[And arent we lucky that the player who Kidd bumped knees with on opening night 2003 didn't get hurt...Vince Carter.]

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
schub said:
NetIncome said:
I just got an HDTV set and I can tell you he looks faster now than he did on my old Magnavox.
lol. He probably looks younger, too!
I'm jeaslous.

-Petey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts