Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it was his choice of words, but there's a part of the title of the article (on the 2nd page of the article) that implies that he thinks Pritchard is "blowing sunshine" at Telfair..

seem's kind of odd that he'd make that claim about someone, when he's been doing that to Damon for 4+ years now.

as in: they mention Telfairs 5 turnvers..but nothing of Damons 4.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,866 Posts
Like I said: Anything to destabilize the Blazers. Damon has been far from everyone's favorite here... and on pretty much any other Blazers forum... yet strangely Quick has been a full-fledged Damon homer for the past several years. The destabilization theory might explain why.

:whoknows:

PBF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,107 Posts
Hap said:
I don't know if it was his choice of words, but there's a part of the title of the article (on the 2nd page of the article) that implies that he thinks Pritchard is "blowing sunshine" at Telfair..

seem's kind of odd that he'd make that claim about someone, when he's been doing that to Damon for 4+ years now.

as in: they mention Telfairs 5 turnvers..but nothing of Damons 4.
I know, I had the same reaction when I saw the boxscore. Let's see, one had 11 points, 7 assists and 5 turnovers, the other had 20 points, 3 assists and 4 turnovers. Which one is more of a point guard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Blazerfan024 said:
And whenever Damon came in are tempo would stop...
The tempo may have stopped, but there is nothing to say that the tempo was good with either player.

Telfair has really looked subpar since being a starter. He's going to be great, but I would rather have Mo Baker in there right now.

How many times did Telfair refuse to acknowledge the pick and pop? It was open all night... and he made the pass ONCE and almost threw it out of bounds.

He needs to quit looking for the flashy/highlight pass and start making the ones that help the team win. That's a LOT more important than looking pretty.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
The tempo may have stopped, but there is nothing to say that the tempo was good with either player.

Telfair has really looked subpar since being a starter. He's going to be great, but I would rather have Mo Baker in there right now.

Play.
Is that the same Maurice Baker who has zero points, 1 assist and 1 turnover in 13 career minutes?

Because I don't think that's a guy I'd want out on the court any more than I had to put him there.

I don't think Maurice Baker has much of a future with this team. So who cares if Telfair makes mistakes and learns on the job. That's pretty much what we all expected, isn't it?
 
  • Like
Reactions: DaUnbreakableKinG

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Fork said:
Is that the same Maurice Baker who has zero points, 1 assist and 1 turnover in 13 career minutes?
Yes. Considering the amount of time he has practiced with the team, I liked what I saw.

He isn't going to dazzle anyone, but I think he's a solid guy.

Because I don't think that's a guy I'd want out on the court any more than I had to put him there.
Really - so you'd rather put the NBA leader in TOs per 48 minutes out there?

You have to judge someone on more than stats. The guy looked solid and made the right passes. He didn't make mistakes - which a LOT of the time is more important than making plays.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
Well, they were running Stoudamire at the SG rather than PG, so it isn't a fair comparison.

Play.
Play is right. Damon's 4TO's at SG are far worse than Telfair's 5TO's at PG.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
Really - so you'd rather put the NBA leader in TOs per 48 minutes out there?

You have to judge someone on more than stats. The guy looked solid and made the right passes.
Play.
If that isn't a contradictory statement then I really don't know what is!

Let Telfair learn the system and get a better feel for the NBA game. He will never be a great player unless he gets the necessary game experience that it takes to be comfortable in the NBA... and i think this is about the best time to do that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
Playmaker0017 said:
Really - so you'd rather put the NBA leader in TOs per 48 minutes out there?

You have to judge someone on more than stats. The guy looked solid and made the right passes. He didn't make mistakes - which a LOT of the time is more important than making plays.

Play.
Considering that Maurice Baker's future with the Blazers is probably about 5 more days, I bet you and Maurice Baker (and maybe his family) are the only ones who want to see him out there.

Of course you have to judge on more than stats. Like...potential to make an impact in the future. If the goal was to have a guy who has a nice assist to turnover ratio, why not throw Damon out there? Oh yeah...because he's not going to be with the team next year.
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Playmaker0017 said:
Really - so you'd rather put the NBA leader in TOs per 48 minutes out there?
I guess Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Stevie Francis and Dwyane Wade shouldn't be out there neither...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Fork said:
Considering that Maurice Baker's future with the Blazers is probably about 5 more days, I bet you and Maurice Baker (and maybe his family) are the only ones who want to see him out there.
I just like to see someone that actually runs an offense run the team.

Telfair doesn't. He's ignorant half the time he is out there.

Of course you have to judge on more than stats. Like...potential to make an impact in the future. If the goal was to have a guy who has a nice assist to turnover ratio, why not throw Damon out there? Oh yeah...because he's not going to be with the team next year.
Well -- put my 2 year old cousin out there. He has TONS of potential.

But, you can't mid-discussion change why you said what you said ... you tried intimating that you didn't want Baker out there, because his stats weren't good. NOT because he wasn't going to be with the team next year.

If this is your stance, than I can't argue. But, what I can argue is that he runs the team better than Telfair did.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Hap said:
I guess Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, Stevie Francis and Dwyane Wade shouldn't be out there neither...
Wow ... all of them are currently the league leaders in TO per 48 minutes?

Jeez. That's a clogged title.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
stupendous said:
If that isn't a contradictory statement then I really don't know what is!
That was the point.

He was judging it on stats - so using stats I was showing why you wouldn't want Telfair out there.

This would be an incorrect statement.

Try to stay with the discussion.

Let Telfair learn the system and get a better feel for the NBA game.
He's been learning it for a year and still sucks.

He will never be a great player unless he gets the necessary game experience that it takes to be comfortable in the NBA... and i think this is about the best time to do that!
I don't think he'll EVER be a great player. I think he'll be a Damon Stoudamire if he continues the way he is playing. He just doesn't read the floor very well.

Play.
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Playmaker0017 said:
Wow ... all of them are currently the league leaders in TO per 48 minutes?

Jeez. That's a clogged title.

Play.
oh, so it's only because he's the "league leader"?

So if it was in, say, 2nd place, you wouldn't complain?

good to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Hap said:
oh, so it's only because he's the "league leader?

So if it was in, say, 2nd place, you wouldn't complain?

good to know.
Well, considering I said - LEAGUE LEADER and it was to prove a point outside of the fact that Telfair was the league leader in TOs ... it was to prove that this stat doesn't really mean he shouldn't be playing ... I think your comment was absurd.

But - considering night in and night out - that's the only category that he seems to repeat ... I think it is because he is a league leader. The other guys actually contribute to their teams and make good decisions with the ball ... whereas Telfair does not.

Play.
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Playmaker0017 said:
Well, considering I said - LEAGUE LEADER and it was to prove a point outside of the fact that Telfair was the league leader in TOs ... it was to prove that this stat doesn't really mean he shouldn't be playing ... I think your comment was absurd.
my comment that there are a lot of good players who turn the ball over a lot, was absurd? Or was it my comment asking if he was the 2nd place leader you wouldn't complain? because i don't see where you're coming off sounding like you pulled a fast one over us..

But - considering night in and night out - that's the only category that he seems to repeat ... I think it is because he is a league leader. The other guys actually contribute to their teams and make good decisions with the ball ... whereas Telfair does not.

Play.
yep. never does anything good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,185 Posts
Tince said:
Play is right.
I normally am.

Damon's 4TO's at SG are far worse than Telfair's 5TO's at PG.
Incorrect.

Damon's TOs weren't major mistakes or dribbling it off his foot or throwing errant cross-court passes through the center of the lane ... they were mostly due to another player mishandling the ball.

I'm no Damon fan ... but his TOs were far less stupid than the one's from Telfair. Telfair has no clue half the time he's out there. It's painful to watch at times.

Granted -- he's young. But, he certainly plays that way too.

Play.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,222 Posts
The Blazers have no choice, but to play Telfair currently. It really doesn't matter if he isn't performing up to his draft position (and he isn't). They simply have to force-feed him minutes and hope that he improves. This season is a lost cause and it actually helps the organization if they lose games. Of course if Telfair continues his poor play next season they will have to make a change.
 
1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Top