Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two-A-Days
As of Monday, my rehab schedule has now been bumped up from one session a day to two. Here's a peak at my routine.

9:00-1:00 --- Weight Lifting/Therapy Session
Every morning I arrive slightly before 9 at one of the buildings on Duke's campus to begin my rehab. The first thing I do is lift weights for about an hour before I do any work on my knee. I then have my knee massaged for 40 minutes, which is my favorite part by the way. Unfortunately, my least favorite part of the rehab follows right after and that's when the therapists try to bend it. Man, that really hurts.

The next step focuses on doing various exercises that will strengthen my knee and quad. I work on a quad-hamstring machine where you sit on a chair and your upper body is in a harness and they strap your leg up, which pushes up your quad and pulls back your hamstring. This gives you a lot of resistance. I'm doing that with my leg for about 20-25 minutes or so.

After that, I'm doing other exercises for my knee and quad such as leg presses, toe raises, lunges, different things to stretch my legs. One specific exercise features a huge rubber band, which is tied to a pole, and allows me to work on my knee's resistance as far as walking against it and pulling it.
After I'm finished with that, I'm working on the elliptical or stair master to get a cardio workout. This is usually the last part of my morning session workout before I break for lunch and have a cool down period, which involves icing my knee. I usually leave the building around 1 or so.

3:00-5:00 More Therapy/Agility Focus
The afternoon session involves another prolonged session of bending my knee as well focusing on a lot of agility exercises that will improve my foot speed.

With the two-a-days, I'm obviously a lot more tired. My rehab session before wasn't easy but I got into a routine where I could handle it. Now, two-a-days is like a 9-5 job. But as long as I'm making progress, that's all that matters.

Interesting read. Jay Williams' rehab is really picking up. He is certainly headed in the right direction. Good luck to him.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!

Interesting read. Jay Williams' rehab is really picking up. He is certainly headed in the right direction. Good luck to him.

Come on basghetti, you're turning me into the link nazi:

http://www.nba.com/blog/blog11.html

Heart of a champion...'nough said.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Like I've said before... I hope the buyout doesn't come back to bit us in the ***.

Jay is a class act and a top notch person... his drive and determination is absolutely nuts... if he comes back, I hope he is a Bull.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!
Like I've said before... I hope the buyout doesn't come back to bit us in the ***.
If the Bulls getting bit in the ***, means that Jwill is realizing his potential, I hope it happens. I will always be a Bulls fan, but the way Jay approaches the game is truly special. He deserves a break and I will side with Dookie over our misguided francise any day.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
His work effort and progress to date is inspiring. The amount of effort needed to get his knee bending, let alone NBA-worthy, is sobering.

Continue to hope for the best and plan for the worst.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!

If the Bulls getting bit in the ***, means that Jwill is realizing his potential, I hope it happens. I will always be a Bulls fan, but the way Jay approaches the game is truly special. He deserves a break and I will side with Dookie over our misguided francise any day.
I haven't posted in a good six months (the bulls play has made me MORE than depressed), and I just had to take a break from all the sobering disappointment.

That said, I agree with CCCP wholeheartedly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!

Jay is a class act and a top notch person... his drive and determination is absolutely nuts... if he comes back, I hope he is a Bull.
I'm sure we are pretty safe. From what I have read there was a clause in the buyout contract that says the Bulls get first dibs on him if he is able to come back. So we will have him back on the team sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The effort Jay is putting in to get back is inspiring. It would actually be good if he could do this at Bulls training, so his former teammates to see what he is doing, and maybe it could inspire them.

I hope Jay can make it back with the Bulls. Having someone with that drive and determination can only help.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Robert23</b>!

I'm sure we are pretty safe. From what I have read there was a clause in the buyout contract that says the Bulls get first dibs on him if he is able to come back. So we will have him back on the team sooner or later.
Giving us "first dibs" is fine and all, but all he has to say is No. With the new Charlotte franchise coming soon, I'd would hate to see a rehabilitated Jay become their star PG.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
But his long range goal is to play for the Bulls' again.
"At this point he feels there's lot of unfinished business with the Bulls," Duffy said. "They drafted him. He wants them to get the player they drafted."
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/bulls/2004-02-02-williams-buyout_x.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/bulls/2004-02-02-williams-buyout_x.htm
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...sbits,1,3041412.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

It also gives Williams options, including the possibility of re-signing with the Bulls if he returns to the NBA.

“His desire would be to play with the Bulls,” Duffy said. “But if that’s not mutually acceptable, he has other options.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4100866/

this has to be somewhat reassuring doesn't it? the bulls are going to keep him on their payroll while he rehabs. good for both sides. and with no contract deadlines or worries jay can take his time to do a full and proper comeback, again good for both sides. the bulls would have to do something incredibly dumb to get on the wrong side of this (like draft another point guard). and i don't think we're going to be such a good team in hte next 1-3 years that we can tell jay to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
ewps, here's the second quote i wanted
"Jay doesn't want to be disruptive," Duffy said. "He wants to be an asset if he can, in whatever capacity."

The buyout agreement allows the Bulls to re-sign Williams if he can he return from his career-threatening injuries suffered in last June's motorcycle accident, although both scenarios are long shots.

·
Registered
150 Posts
the buyout was something the Bulls really needed to do, now for the expansion draft we do NOT have to protect him, we can use that on another person (well, hopefully we have another person that we can use it on). but doing the buyout was a smart business decision, this way, we dont give jay a reason to just leave us, we did NOT have to buy him out we could have just voided it, and also, leaving him on payroll makes it pretty obvious that they have agreed to keep the relationship ONCE HE COMES BACK!

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Originally posted by <b>popeye12</b>!
the buyout was something the Bulls really needed to do, now for the expansion draft we do NOT have to protect him, we can use that on another person (well, hopefully we have another person that we can use it on). but doing the buyout was a smart business decision, this way, we dont give jay a reason to just leave us, we did NOT have to buy him out we could have just voided it, and also, leaving him on payroll makes it pretty obvious that they have agreed to keep the relationship ONCE HE COMES BACK!
Celebrating that the Bulls don't have to protect Jay in the expasion draft because they don't have his rights, is like celebrating not having to pay rent because you are homeless.

I don't doubt that both parties intend or even have tacitly agreed to keep a relationship if Jay makes it back, but feelings change. There is no paper to ensure the Bulls' rights.

·
Registered
289 Posts
This is the smartest way to settle the whole Jay situation. For Jay he doesn't get his contract voided and it seems like he really puts his effort in coming back to the Bulls in the future, whenever that may be. Secondly it's a smart decision from management point of view, we can use the extra roster spot very good right now AND we don't have to protect Jay in the expansion. This way it's comfortable for both. And a possibility for Jay to give the Bulls at least a bit back for not voiding his contract and leaving him up to himself. Right now both sides help out eachother and I guess that's what gives the Bulls a lot of options with Jay when he would come back.
I wish Jay good luck on his rehab and hope to see him back on court at some point!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts