Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone come up with a reason why Jay Williams is drawing so much press with the league?

The "blogsquad" was one thing, keeping him on the front page of NBA.com every few weeks, and now I guess they had him on for an interview on NBA TV Insiders (anyone get NBA TV? Anyone see this interview?).

It's easy to see why Pax can't release him just yet: there's no pressing need to do so, for one thing, but for another reason, it's easy to see that Jay is in the spotlight.

Imagine:

January 25, 2004: The Chicago Bulls release guard Jay Williams.

January 26, 2004: NBA.com Blog Squad writer Jay Williams discusses his feelings about being cut because of a mistake, his relationship with Chicago, how this affects his rehab.

"I really didn't expect this, but I guess I understand. John is a good man, and they were very supportive all the way through. I guess I wonder why they would come this far and then let me go. I really wanted to be back on the floor with those guys, with Jamal and Tyson and Eddy... even though I've been away from Chicago, I was always still a Bull at heart.

But I guess by-gones be by-gones; I understand that this game is a business and that being out of the game for a year kind of takes me out of the team's vision. I have to push on to make myself attractive for some other team out there, to prove that I'm not through with basketball if it's not through with me."

Then he gets signed by the Charlotte Bobcats, becomes a hometown favorite, explodes onto the scene and averages 14, 6 and 3, bringing the expansion team almost to the 8th seed with a group of guys like Ronald Murray, Cuttino Mobley, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Eric Williams, Joe Smith, and Lorenzen Wright.

The Bulls fail to break 35 wins, yet again.

Okay, okay. Not likely. But anyway.

Anyone, any thoughts? Why the league's emphasis on this young guard, and what kind of future does he have with the team?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
as good as kirk has been, it could be argued that Jay has been the Bull generating the most positive publicity for the club. NBA.com is featuring him. As any other Bull been on the cover of NBA.com? Well I am sure someone has been on there getting dunked on, but not in a positive light. This kid has only raised his reputation as an intelligent thoughtful person who probably will be an effective player again.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
well, kirk was on the front page of nba.com when he rose to third in the rookie rankings a few weeks ago. but i agree rlucas, kirk and jay have been the only positives in a season full of disappointments and excuses. and jay isn't even PLAYING!!

i think jay is surrounded by very smart and very supportive people, from family, his beautiful fiance, his agent, and certainly a very good publicist. it is encouraging to read about his progress and they are very smart to make it into a feel good story as opposed to a feel bad story. jay is articulate and upbeat without sounding like he's trying too hard.

the only thing i am a little cynical about is the timing. seems like the talk of a jaywill contract buyout hit the airwaves and the NEXT THING YOU KNOW, jay is all over the place, with his blog etc.

ok, so maybe i am a little TOO cynical. but timing is everything. well, that and lighting.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!
well, kirk was on the front page of nba.com when he rose to third in the rookie rankings a few weeks ago. but i agree rlucas, kirk and jay have been the only positives in a season full of disappointments and excuses. and jay isn't even PLAYING!!

i think jay is surrounded by very smart and very supportive people, from family, his beautiful fiance, his agent, and certainly a very good publicist. it is encouraging to read about his progress and they are very smart to make it into a feel good story as opposed to a feel bad story. jay is articulate and upbeat without sounding like he's trying too hard.

the only thing i am a little cynical about is the timing. seems like the talk of a jaywill contract buyout hit the airwaves and the NEXT THING YOU KNOW, jay is all over the place, with his blog etc.

ok, so maybe i am a little TOO cynical. but timing is everything. well, that and lighting.
I agree. With Jays publicity machine in overdrive, and a lot of positive feelings being generated about him by the NBA and the press right now, would make Pax look like a cheap ******* in buying his deal out now. There is just too much light on Jay now. I happen to think that is part of it. The public backlash would be bad. But I also happen to think that Jay is doing better then Pax or anyone wants to admit in public. Dr Andrews says he will be back. Pax might just be waiting to see how much he better he gets. jay would probably make it up to Pax in a contract down the road so its quite conceivable that is the case as well.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think Jay gets a lot of press because he holds a place in people's hearts. He was a college basketball star of the highest profile, and whether you loved or hated Duke, you respected Jay and the positive things he stood for. He was always a respectable, hard-working kid from a good family who showed that education and accomplishment can be more important than making a quick buck.

The news of his accident was a pretty sad story, not just because of the prospect of a promising young career being ended, but because here was someone who was a model of how an athlete should behave who made a very grave error. And he only had himself to blame.

Now I think people still care because we love seeing his determination to defy the odds and step back on the court. This is a real chance for redemption, and you can't help but root for him to succeed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh, sure. Agents get paid and paid well to play this game. When it comes to buyout time, he gets his client all kinds of feel good press. That increases his value, makes it harder for the team to terminate his contract. Definitely it's part of the game. Hey, millions of dollars are at stake here!

I also have to think that the reason Jay is still a Bull is that it is still a real possibility that he could play again. The blog doesn't really get into much, but the team's doctors have to know what's going on and keeping Pax informed. Even if he's not 100%, it sure is good press for the Bulls, and in the grand scheme of things, it may keep Chicago from re-signing Linton Johnson (big deal), but good press for the org makes it more attractive in signing free agents. "They take care of their own." That could end up being a very good PR move.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Zeos</b>!
Oh, sure. Agents get paid and paid well to play this game. When it comes to buyout time, he gets his client all kinds of feel good press. That increases his value, makes it harder for the team to terminate his contract. Definitely it's part of the game. Hey, millions of dollars are at stake here!

I also have to think that the reason Jay is still a Bull is that it is still a real possibility that he could play again. The blog doesn't really get into much, but the team's doctors have to know what's going on and keeping Pax informed. Even if he's not 100%, it sure is good press for the Bulls, and in the grand scheme of things, it may keep Chicago from re-signing Linton Johnson (big deal), but good press for the org makes it more attractive in signing free agents. "They take care of their own." That could end up being a very good PR move.
A+ Plain and Simple

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
I think Jay gets a lot of press because he holds a place in people's hearts. He was a college basketball star of the highest profile, and whether you loved or hated Duke, you respected Jay and the positive things he stood for. He was always a respectable, hard-working kid from a good family who showed that education and accomplishment can be more important than making a quick buck.

The news of his accident was a pretty sad story, not just because of the prospect of a promising young career being ended, but because here was someone who was a model of how an athlete should behave who made a very grave error. And he only had himself to blame.

Now I think people still care because we love seeing his determination to defy the odds and step back on the court. This is a real chance for redemption, and you can't help but root for him to succeed.
i agree 100%. AND he has a very good publicist. think about it, this is potentially one of the comeback stories of ALL TIME. and only time will tell. you GO jay!

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good agent, good publicist... these are decent answers to the questions.

It does make for a good story... but not if he never makes it back into 50% of what he was before. Is this a desperate attempt at stirring publicity in the NBA, a cooperative effort that also nets him and his agents and his publicists lots of cash?

Because I don't really know how else the NBA benefits. I mean, if Jay Williams turns into nothing, then all this is for nothing too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts