Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Settlement closer: The Bulls' contract settlement with Jay Williams will become official as soon as Williams signs the paperwork.

According to the plan worked out by both sides, Williams will be released with the understanding that he will re-sign with the Bulls if he is healthy enough to play again.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/sports_story.asp?intID=38014116

Sounds like a good deal for both sides.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Sure does! Sounds suspiciously close to tampering though. I mean, if we bought out his contract, how could we possibly get away with throwing a clause like that in there? Anyway, as long as we don't get in trouble, good deal.

·
Old-Timer
2,619 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
Sure does! Sounds suspiciously close to tampering though. I mean, if we bought out his contract, how could we possibly get away with throwing a clause like that in there? Anyway, as long as we don't get in trouble, good deal.
That's a good point and that was also my first thought. But, assuming this article is accurate, I would think the Bulls would know if that's against the rules or not. There must be a special clause for career-threatening injuries or something.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
I'm no attorney, but it sounds like a version of a non-compete agreement that people occasionally sign when they leave businesses or sell their business.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Great deal for us. He dodges becoming a Bobcat, and we still dont have to pay him until he comes back. Get well soon Jay.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
I know Mike,

Its not like there is a hidden set of rules that players and francises have to abide by. It's all on-line at nbapl.com. I don't understand:
A) how the Bulls can terminate Jay's contract;
B) how the Bulls could something that appears to be blatent tampering; and
c) why the Bulls would risk this agreement not holding up and loosing Jay.

???

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
In the meantime, the Bulls will keep Williams' roster spot open, at least until the Feb. 19 trade deadline in case general manager John Paxson works out a deal that brings the Bulls extra players.
The timing is a bit peculiar no? By buying out JWill's contract, they are essentially opening up 1 roster spot. So if anything we can expect Paxson to be looking to add players by the trade deadline, maybe in a 2 for 1 or 3 for 2 swap. ;)

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm
(question #58)
Jay's buyout (salary cap wise) would be spread out over the remainder of his contract, mainly this season and next. However, this could be a lump sum payment by the Bulls.. though Larry infers that the cap hit would still be spread out over the remainder of his contract.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Good thing for us.
I don't think it should be a problem since BOTH sides agreed to it prior to the posible return.
J knows in a way Bulls did him a favour not cutting him of the moment they saw he broke contract,so maybe he is leaning towards us now.
anyway,i find it VERY hard to believe he will return as a worthy player.Injury sounded to me too serious for an athlete built mostly on his quickness,but I sure wish J luck in his attempts,1st cause he's a good kid,and 2nd cause we got the rights:D

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
I think they don't risk penalty for tampering since it's so in the open. This isn't the Bull trying to slide something under the table (wink wink) like the T-Wolves. Remember, too, that any buy-out will have to get league approval before it becomes official.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Listen, Jay might not come back and ever have the explosiveness he did before the accident. But to people here believe it isn't even POSSIBLE that he'll come back and be better than Rick Brunson? I mean, come on, there's got to be a chance of that. I think for now, expectations should be hopeful that he could at least come in and be out backup PG at some point. I know I'd like to see that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I suspect the agreement to come back with the Bull's is mostly good faith with little guarantees. I understand it from the Bull's perspective and I believe this is a good solution to a messy situation.

In essence the Bulls believe he will never be a valuable player again, but if he comes back enough to make it possible, they will probably give him a one year minimum contract type of a chance, believing it probable he can't do it. If he regains enough of his former abilities to warrant more than that then they would do the right thing and bump him up the next year, but only be making a one year low cost committment to the experiment, which I think is fair.

I believe one reason Pax wanted to make this move was that if Jay returns, it probably won't be by the beginning of next season, meaning clogging up another roster spot for a good chunk of next year before before the lonshot question can even be answered. I think the reason tamporing may not be involved is I doubt that this agreement gives the Bulls exclusive rights to Jay. I presume if another team feels confident enough to give him a better deal he can take it, and that the Bull's future ties to him are either verbal or with very modest guarantees time wise and monetarily.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts