Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Should the Jazz tank the rest of the season?

• Yes

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 45.5%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the Jazz call it a season and go for the higher draft pick, or do they keep trying to be a sacraficial lamb in the first round? Your comments are appreciated:yes:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The team has proved they will not be the worst in NBA history. They have a young team and IMO need another young player mold into the type of player the Jazz want to build the team for the future. I would not make any more trades unless they help for the future. Don't throw away what they have draft pick wise to get beat in the first round of the playoffs this year. Some free agents to at as well.......Fizer and Swift just a thought.

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
As long as Sloan's the head coach Utah's gonna be giving it all they got until the end of the season.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Yao Mania</b>!
As long as Sloan's the head coach Utah's gonna be giving it all they got until the end of the season.
I agree. And we could actually lose out by throwing in the towel. We do need these players to continue to develop. THey will do that best in an environment attuned to winning, otherwise they might just start looking to boost their stats.

The Jazz has been a perennially successful franchise without having to rely on high draft picks. I don't think we should give up on this season and place most of our hope in the draft. A top 5 pick is unlikely considering our current record anyway.

In a way it's a lose/lose situation though. We will strive for the playoffs, inevitably miss out, and end up with a naff pick.

Does anyone know if SLoan is definitely around next season as well?

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Yeah.. as much as I would almost like to see us start losing so we could get a top pick (big man heavy, exactly what we need), it ain't gonna happen with Sloan at the helm, heh. I'd be happy with a top 7 pick.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You should never throw in the towel. That is what is wrong with sports in America. You play the game to win there is no win by losing theory.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Jerry Sloan deserves to win coach of the year so tanking is not an option. Also, if you can prove they are competitive this year without any big name guys they will be much more likely to be able to convince free agents that Utah is not such a bad place to be. If you tank no one's gonna want to go there. As for the draft, as deep as this past draft was and with 2004 considered to be just as deep, you don't need a top pick to get someone that can really help. Examples from 2003 draft: #10 Jarvis Hayes, later first rounders Leandrinho Barbosa, Josh Howard, Zarko Cabarkapa.....2nd rounders Zaur Pachulia, Keith Bogans....not even drafted Marquis Daniels, Richie Frahm. In 2002 Carlos Boozer and Manu Ginobli were 2nd rounders and look at them now, it all depends on your scouting.....I think Utah's scouting has been suspect in the past, however, it looks like Pavlovic and Mo Williams were good picks where they were had so I hope this means the scouts are getting better.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Absolutely not, tanking this season would be a terrible mistake.

You could argue the whole draft-position bit, but that would be stupid because I believe we don't need that much. Our team is extremely young. We're going to develop, we're going to gell. Hopefully we'll draft a good big man somewhere in the top 15, and add a FA star, which I'm sure we'll have the $ to do. If we do this, in a few years, we should be right back in the thick of things playoff-wise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts