Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They need a big PG to play with Terry and we need a versatile wing defender with height. He is very athletic, 6'9", shot 36% on threes last year and supposedly is put on the opponents best wing man (Hawks RealGM page). He is God awful skinny though...

I would like to expand the deal to get Nazr but I don't think we have anyone else they want.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I wouldn't argue, but i wouldn't praise.

But you know Krause wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
yea, i really wanted us to draft him instread of fizer a coupel of years ago. DeMarr, like crawford, is loaded with potential that hasn't developed. i'm pretty sure many of the hawks fans feel the same way about him as we do about jamal. maybe a change would push both guys to reach their potential.

PG: j.will / VET / mason
SG: rose / hassell / d.johnson
SF: e.rob / d.johnson
PF: chandler / fizer
C: curry / blount / bagaric

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Bighead734
I wouldn't argue, but i wouldn't praise.

But you know Krause wouldn't do it.
Why wouldn't Krause do it? It is not like he passed on DerMarr to take JC. It wouldn't be a pride thing. And from a talent standpoint they are fairly equal. Age to. DJ is just a better match for our team as currently constituted, IMO.

We could resign Best to bake up JWill hopefully.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If Dermarr is a really good defender like they say I would definitely go for the trade, but again if he is that good defensively wouldn't they want to keep him instead.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem for the Hawks is that one of their best players, Terry, requires a unique (big) backcourt mate becuase he is so small. Jamal is one of those unique guys, and they are rarer than good, athletic wing defenders like DerMarr. Also Terry and JC go way back which could be good for PR, chemistry, and future contracts.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thats great then, but IMO I don't think they would give up a "great defender" when they don't have a lick of defense beyond Theo when they aren't getting an above average defender back. Just my own opinion though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
This actually is a good trade for both teams, it would seem. The only reason for the Hawks not to do it would be if they think Johnson can play with Terry in the back-court. If not, there isn't much room for him at forward with Big Dog and Rahim getting close to 40 minutes each.

I haven't been in favor of trading JC, but I'd do it for DerMarr. Since we have Jay and Jalen (then Hassell) to play G, why not get a Pippen-like youngster to solve our long-term SF position? I'm not too sure that Krause wouldn't have taken DerMarr over JC if he hadn't been picked one spot ahead of the Bulls by the Hawks.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
How about JC, Fizer, Bags and Hoiberg for Demarr and Nazr? I would do this. It works on Realgm's trade checker:

Atlanta trades: SF DerMarr Johnson (8.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.0 minutes)
C Nazr Mohammed (9.7 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 26.4 minutes)
Atlanta receives: PF Marcus Fizer (12.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 25.8 minutes)
PG Jamal Crawford (9.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 20.9 minutes)
SG Fred Hoiberg (4.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.7 apg in 17.8 minutes)
C Dalibor Bagaric (3.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +11.6 ppg, +1.7 rpg, and +4.7 apg.

Chicago trades: PF Marcus Fizer (12.3 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg in 25.8 minutes)
PG Jamal Crawford (9.3 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.4 apg in 20.9 minutes)
SG Fred Hoiberg (4.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 1.7 apg in 17.8 minutes)
C Dalibor Bagaric (3.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 0.5 apg in 12.8 minutes)
Chicago receives: SF DerMarr Johnson (8.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg in 72 games)
C Nazr Mohammed (9.7 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 0.4 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -11.6 ppg, -1.7 rpg, and -4.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

I love our lineup after this trade:

Eddy, Nazr
Chandler, Blount, Baxter
Rose, Robinson
Hassell, Demarr
Williams, Mason

Since we're talking about the Hawks, although they did get Robinson for a steal, but are the Big Dog and Shareef going to be able to play at the same time?

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Dermarr is going to show himself to be the real thing. However, in response to the Terry-needs-a-big-backcourt-running-mate comment, I'd say that Dermarr Johnson himself is also a big backcourt running mate... :) He can play the SG and Terry has, IMO, shown that he can in fact be effective at the PG.

Terry Johnson Big-Dog Reef Ratliff

This is an extremely intimidating team. Talent-wise, this is as good as it might get in the East. Terry should be an All-Star, Dermarr actualizing his potential makes him an easy pick for All-Star too, and Robinson/Reef/Ratliff have all been in the past.

The only thing is that Big-Dog and Theo aren't getting that much younger, so they'd have to make a title run within the next few years. And for some reason, I giggle when I think about the Atlanta HAWKS making a TITLE RUN against the LAKERS or KINGS within the next few years.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Showtyme</b>!
And for some reason, I giggle when I think about the Atlanta HAWKS making a TITLE RUN against the LAKERS or KINGS within the next few years.
I wish other teams' fans giggled at the Bulls futile attempts to dethrone the Lakers or Kings in the championship series over the next few years. I am worried they may be giggling about our futile attempts to make the playoffs.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BullsNews</b>!
This actually is a good trade for both teams, it would seem. The only reason for the Hawks not to do it would be if they think Johnson can play with Terry in the back-court. If not, there isn't much room for him at forward with Big Dog and Rahim getting close to 40 minutes each.

I haven't been in favor of trading JC, but I'd do it for DerMarr. Since we have Jay and Jalen (then Hassell) to play G, why not get a Pippen-like youngster to solve our long-term SF position? I'm not too sure that Krause wouldn't have taken DerMarr over JC if he hadn't been picked one spot ahead of the Bulls by the Hawks.
actually the Bulls were looking at Jamal all the way, they nearly took him at four, but knew that he would be there at 7 (and to block the trade involving the clippers and the magic). If we had taken Craw at four, we could have had either Mike Miller or DJ (Fizer goes #5, DJ or Mike #6,#7), or we could have drafted Courtney Alexander, IMO will still end up being one of the top players from this draft, he just hasnt gotten time, he will now in charlotte...anyway, back to the original reply, The Bulls were locked in on Craw, they were hoping to get Craw and Miles, and build around them.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
As a Hawks fan, I don't think I would do this deal, unless Chicago takes one of our bad contracts off Atlanta's hands which is unlikely.

A JT/DJ backcourt was very successful at the end of the season. If you look at stats past the all-star break I believe JT was averaging around 8 assists per game and DJ was getting around 12ppg. Big time improvement.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
i agree that Atlanta would be very reluctant to trade DeMarr Johnson...

if Krause offered up Jamal Crawford, we might get Dion Glover in return if we're lucky.

also, Atlanta would be very foolish to get rid of Nazr. Theo's situtation is still uncertain, and besides, starting-quality back up Centers are GOLD. you don't trade one unless you get a proven All-Star in return.

you gotta admit, the Hawks have made some pretty good moves as of late, and on paper, they have as promising a roster as there is in the East (less potential than Chicago, but more proven talent -- which, really is a better thing to have)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
If I was the Hawks I would not do this trade. The reason Terry needs a big backcourt mate is to defend to 2guard since terry is so small. Jamal has no D. He may be tall but can you see him defending Kobe or Tmack? (heck, can you see him defending doug chrisitie)? They would probably break Wilts 100pt in a game record, lol. I would love for it to happen but I don't think the Hawks would go for it.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Crawscrew</b>!

actually the Bulls were looking at Jamal all the way, they nearly took him at four, but knew that he would be there at 7 (and to block the trade involving the clippers and the magic). If we had taken Craw at four, we could have had either Mike Miller or DJ (Fizer goes #5, DJ or Mike #6,#7), or we could have drafted Courtney Alexander, IMO will still end up being one of the top players from this draft, he just hasnt gotten time, he will now in charlotte...anyway, back to the original reply, The Bulls were locked in on Craw, they were hoping to get Craw and Miles, and build around them.
Actually, Cleveland drafted Crawford #8, and Krause traded the rights to Chris Mihm (#7) to get Crawford.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBullz</b>!

Actually, Cleveland drafted Crawford #8, and Krause traded the rights to Chris Mihm (#7) to get Crawford.

the bulls were going to take crawford, but the cavs called (assuming the bulls were going to take mihm), and offered to trade picks and give the bulls some extra cash, so thew cavs asked who the bulls wanted and said crawford, so the bulls were going to take craw, but the cavs said they give them money for mihm, who they werent even going to take, thats why we didnt draft craw at 7.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts