Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per goodmans twitter he has Vermont 1A and Stonybrook 1B. He thinks Vermont will win it. A little early but goodman has made his pick.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
Congrats to UVM and SBU I guess...better then being picked 9th I suppose.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's funny....doesn't it always seem that the team picked to win pre-season...basically never does?

I mean, its almost always been BU, but stil....

SBU should be a young but dynamic program this year, especially if even one of the 3 "big name" freshmen play close to his potential. Our big problem has been the lack of an actual PG. My money's on Puriefoy to change that.

That said - it would be premature for anyone to be confident about this year, especially with the attrition and graduations from last year.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'm happy to make one pick though - Binghamton will NOT be a basement dweller this season. Dempsey's too good to let them sink.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm happy to make one pick though - Binghamton will NOT be a basement dweller this season. Dempsey's too good to let them sink.
Redwyn, I couldn't agree more. Dempsey is not only a pretty good coach, but is also a very good recruiter. Bing is in play with some very good prospects in the next two classes, and I have no doubt that we will see a change even this year in how they play. Ultimately, the AE can only increase the national view of the conference with improvement from Bing and UMBC. I think that begins to happen this season.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
It's disappointing Boston decided to leave this season because otherwise there's a lot to hopeful for in men's hoops. The new coaching staff at Bing is great news, the recruiting class at UMBC is hopeful, and Hartford finally has some mojo back with their charismatic and energetic coach. Boston, UVM, and SBU all overachieved with at least one or two recruits respectively. The league as whole appeared to be making gains in the off season until Boston dropped the bomb on us. Look I can understand Boston's desire to be in a more "stable" league but it really puts the rest of the programs at a disadvantage. I do think it will hurt recruiting for all programs in the coming years as Boston was one of the most recognizable schools in the league.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Look I can understand Boston's desire to be in a more "stable" league but it really puts the rest of the programs at a disadvantage.
Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.. if BU had made the decision to stay, the AE would have been far more stable as a conference. But that horse has left the barn.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I like our chances this year even without Jake. I'm hopeful for the NIT bid

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Now that the CAA question has been answered for SBU, maybe I'm crazy but I think the league is very stable right now. You add a Q and Monmouth and you have expanded to 10 and have a very stable league.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
UVM is the pick until proven otherwise, but I think this is the year Maine or UNH can win the bid. Both are returning enough and the top-4 from last year all lost key players.

·
Registered
472 Posts
UVM is the pick until proven otherwise, but I think this is the year Maine or UNH can win the bid. Both are returning enough and the top-4 from last year all lost key players.
UVM loses key players almost every year, I think UVMHC touched upon this in another thread...

I think our front court is going to be very tough on other AE teams and our guards are solid... But most importantly the core group of juniors have swagger, confidence, and experience.... If one of the new 2's is a solid shooter I think we'll be very, very, tough.

·
Seawolf Nation
276 Posts
First time poster here. But how can anyone make an educated pre season guess at whose number 1 without even seeing how the teams play with their new freshman. I recently played pick up with the guys here at Stony Brook and the guy I was most impressed with was Burnett. Everyone is talking about Tre and Warney, but you all are gona be shocked seeing how quick and tough this guy is.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
First time poster here. But how can anyone make an educated pre season guess at whose number 1 without even seeing how the teams play with their new freshman. I recently played pick up with the guys here at Stony Brook and the guy I was most impressed with was Burnett. Everyone is talking about Tre and Warney, but you all are gona be shocked seeing how quick and tough this guy is.
That's great to hear about Burnett. My read on him coming in was that he had a lot of potential but looked like a redshirt candidate that could benefit from a year in a college weight training program.

·
Seawolf Nation
276 Posts
That's great to hear about Burnett. My read on him coming in was that he had a lot of potential but looked like a redshirt candidate that could benefit from a year in a college weight training program.
Reid is definitely going to red shirt. Burnett goes to the rim a lot, and that's what they seem to need. His biggest competition for minutes will be from Lenny I'm guessing. But it seems like all Lenny wants to do is shoot. Tre and Tommy have been killin it this summer so far. I play at least 3 or 4 times a week and it just seems like those 2 are gona be a great tandem this year for sure!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
How often are these guys ever right? Eventhough I wouldn't bet against Vermont, I remember all of those years of the experts picking Boston University and look how that worked out!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts