Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that some people weren't in favor of Cheek's criticsm of McInnis selfish attitude. I talked to a former Duke manager this weekend. During a Duke-UNC game in Jeff's freshman year Grant Hill was hounding UNC point guard Derrick Phelps all game long. After McInnis checked in Hill switched off the point guard. McInnis proceeds to hit a couple jumpers. Later as McInnis was checking out the manager told me that McInnis told Hill to "keep on (hounding) Derrick."

Pretty shocking and goes to validate what Cheeks said, maybe Damon deserved to start regardless.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jemel Irief</b>!
Later as McInnis was checking out the manager told me that McInnis told Hill to "keep on (hounding) Derrick."

Pretty shocking and goes to validate what Cheeks said, maybe Damon deserved to start regardless.
lol:laugh:

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I've heard plenty of fellow players say "Sheed is a great guy."

I've heard several players say "Bonzi is actually pretty cool."

I've never once read a quote from anyone saying "Jeff McInnis isn't as bad as everyone says."

I wanted him to start this entire season, but there's no getting around the fact that he just isn't a well-liked person, and there's probably a reason for that.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
He also slept with Phil Ford's wife while an athlete at UNC. One of those things that was swept under the rug.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
A college kid talking smack during a basketball game? Truly a shocking revelation.

It's been almost a decade since McInnis has played at UNC... I don't really see what it has to do with whether McInnis should have been starting ahead of Damon or not.

Damon, after all, has been arrested multiple times and put himself on the IL over playing time within the last two years.

With all of this said, McInnis probably IS a jerk, and Miles is making Nash look very good for moving McInnis when he did, so I've got no complaints about the deal.

Ed O.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
A college kid talking smack during a basketball game? Truly a shocking revelation.

It's been almost a decade since McInnis has played at UNC... I don't really see what it has to do with whether McInnis should have been starting ahead of Damon or not.

Damon, after all, has been arrested multiple times and put himself on the IL over playing time within the last two years.

With all of this said, McInnis probably IS a jerk, and Miles is making Nash look very good for moving McInnis when he did, so I've got no complaints about the deal.

Ed O.
Talking smack? You don't seem to get it. He was the backup point guard and was encouraging the rival player to continue to make his starting teamate look bad.

I played college ball and while many players probably hope for something like that only a few are selfish enough to say it. It is shocking.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jemel Irief</b>!

Talking smack? You don't seem to get it. He was the backup point guard and was encouraging the rival player to continue to make his starting teamate look bad.
Even assuming that's what he meant: that was 1994. Who cares?

That's so long ago that bringing it up now, while interesting as an anecdote, can't seriously be considered when judging whether a guy should be a starter on an NBA team.

I played college ball and while many players probably hope for something like that only a few are selfish enough to say it. It is shocking.
Aaron Burr killed Alexander Hamilton in 1804. That's shocking, too, but it's just about as irrelevant.

Ed O.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MAS RipCity</b>!
Who is Phil Ford?
He was UNC All-American PG in the late 70's. Alcoholism and knee injuries robbed him of what should have been a great NBA player.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MAS RipCity</b>!
Who is Phil Ford?
He was UNC All-American PG in the late 70's. Alcoholism and knee injuries robbed him of what should have been a great NBA player.

·
Registered
518 Posts
No. Stoudamire should have never started. He's HORRIBLE.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts