Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Jeff is on the floor, he has to look to score. That's the only way for him to be an effective reserve for us. He's been doing better the past few games, but he's still passing up opportunities that he needs to take advantage of.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I actually think Jeff is doing a great job on the offensive side of the ball. He's making things happen both for himself AND for others. Before Nenad got his 4th or 5th foul, McInnis reposted him 4 times until 'Nads took the shot, and I thought that was a beautiful moment :cry:*. And that's a PGs job, esp. a backup PG. A backup PG has got to come in and shake things up a bit. And I think McInnis has been doing that really well on the offensive side of the ball. And he's playing really well w/ Kidd, IMO. Kidd can play off the ball and focus on rebounding, defense, running down loose balls, keeping the ball moving when he does get it, and all those little things that JKidd does better than anyone, while McInnis runs the O.

Now defensively speaking its an entirely different story. McInnis might be one of the worst off ball defenders I've ever seen. Again, and again last night I rewound after the Nets gave up a wide open 3-ball or layup, and again and again, it was McInnis's responsibility. He was usually watching the ball or drifting into the lane (despite the fact that others had it covered) and leaving his man wide open. I even saw JKidd giving him a glare after one of them. Then a couple of possessions later, the ball swung to McInnis's responsibility in the corner, and you could audibly hear JKidd yelling 'Get out there!' or something close to that (McInnis (kind of) did, but the shot was made anyway)).

Not sure whether McInnis is a net positive or negative out there, because he does make **** flow on offense pretty well. But man does his D suck.

*tears of joy

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
SeaNet said:
Now defensively speaking its an entirely different story. McInnis might be one of the worst off ball defenders I've ever seen. Again, and again last night I rewound after the Nets gave up a wide open 3-ball or layup, and again and again, it was McInnis's responsibility. He was usually watching the ball or drifting into the lane (despite the fact that others had it covered) and leaving his man wide open. I even saw JKidd giving him a glare after one of them. Then a couple of possessions later, the ball swung to McInnis's responsibility in the corner, and you could audibly hear JKidd yelling 'Get out there!' or something close to that (McInnis (kind of) did, but the shot was made anyway)).

Not sure whether McInnis is a net positive or negative out there, because he does make **** flow on offense pretty well. But man does his D suck.
Amen brother!

And remember that Foyle wraparound pass to a cutting Fisher for the layup that made all the highlight reels? That was McInnis' responsibility.

Although I don't think he makes things flow that well offensively, he is getting better. He still stops at the top of the key too long and pounds the dribble, waiting for something to happen instead of using picks set by his teamates. He has looked for his shot a bit more, which is fine, and he has driven to the hoop more, which is good. But it takes too long for him to decide what to do. I have said in other posts he is getting better, and that is where he needs to continue improving.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Man I dunno.... I've seen him clang the rim so much on wide-open and close shots. I really don't think he needs to be shooting anymore than he alreaddy is. Vince and Krstic are the ones that should be looking for their shots.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
GrandKenyon6 said:
When Jeff is on the floor, he has to look to score. That's the only way for him to be an effective reserve for us. He's been doing better the past few games, but he's still passing up opportunities that he needs to take advantage of.
true but everyone is having that problem!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts