Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_7158.shtml

ENJOY!!!

his last line at the bottom is hilarious!

Jeff Robertson was offered a 4 year contract extension to continue to write for the Blazers Report, but that was denied by the owner of the site as crazy. When reached for comment the owner stated: "The Dude only has 12 readers."
_

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
I like the idea of the Phoenix deal. Several months ago, I offered the idea that Portland trade Person for White and Johnson. Now that Johnson has turned on the afterburners, that's not going to happen. A deal of Person for White and a draft pick does not work salary-wise.

However, there's another move that the Suns are rumored to be interested in. Let's combine the two ideas together:

PORTLAND sends Wesley Person to Phoenix
PORTLAND receives Jahidi White and Cleveland's conditional 2004 1st round pick (lottery protected this year)

PHOENIX sends Jahidi White and Cleveland's conditional 2004 1st round pick to Portland, and sends Tom Gugliotta and New York's 2004 1st round pick to Utah.
PHOENIX receives Wesley Person and Keon Clark.

UTAH sends Keon Clark to Phoenix
UTAH receives Tom Gugliotta and New York's 2004 1st round pick

Utah has the cap room to make this deal work. They trade Clark's expiring deal for Gugliotta's expiring deal AND they get a decent draft pick.

Phoenix gets far enough under the cap this summer to have make a legitimate offer for Kobe. PLUS, they get under the luxury tax threshold THIS year and earn $$$. They lose the extra draft picks - which would only prevent them from making a MAX offer to Kobe anyway. If they don't get Kobe, they can use the extra cap space to sign another significant free agent. The big key is the $$$ they save this summer when the luxury tax bill comes around - we're talking a savings of like $15 million.

Portland clears PT for Qyntel at SG, gets another body to throw at Shaq and gets the Cleveland pick - probably not this year but at some point in the future.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I realize I'm not the world's most educated basketball officianado, but I fail to see why they are so pleased with Damon. I see him consistently missing wide open players as he can't see them and/or doesn't have the ability to pass to them. I see other PG's shooting over him with ease and driving on him at will to create easy baskets. I see him stand around and pound the ball until there's 11-12 seconds left before finally starting the offense well too late. And all this makes the Blazers happy?

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
so tell me again.. why do we want to get rid of Person (and his 47% 3FG%) and take on another big body? Where is White going to play and for how many minutes? His contract ends in 2005

guess we could move Davis then too?

we are not a good OUTSIDE shoooting team.. despite being 3rd highest FG% in the league as a team, as shown on tv Sunday. We do not need to get rid of our best shooter IMHO. Teams will collapse more thant they do already

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
so tell me again.. why do we want to get rid of Person (and his 47% 3FG%) and take on another big body?
4 reasons:

1) It gives Woods some playing time. Right now there is no time for him in the rotation. If he's truly the long-term answer at SG, he needs to get time on the court in that position.

2) It saves Paul Allen about $4 million this summer

3) It provides another draft pick for the future. Another part of the building program.

4) Makes it possible to move Davis if the right deal comes along.

Honestly, I would miss Person. I just don't think that the long-term plan of the franchise hinges on whether or not he gets 12 MPG for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Don't forget, any team taking Wesley in a trade is likely doing so for cap purposes and will cut him this summer. We can probably get him back as a free agent for around what we would pay him to remain (kinda like Augmon in the Pippen deal), assuming he's been happy enough with his time here and is understanding of the reason for the potential move.

Dan

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
First let’s address the ridiculous assertion that the Blazers had offered Rasheed a four year contract extension at $9-10 million per year and he had rejected it._ This is a ploy by both the agents for Rasheed and the Blazers organization for different reasons.
So, if the first part of ESPN's report is untrue, does this mean that the second part is also not true and that NY won't trade Al Harrington to Portland for Sheed????

The Blazers are looking toward next year with a player personnel budget of around $55-60 million.
Makes sense. As I pointed out a few days ago, Forbes' numbers showed that Portland's "break even" point would have been to have a $62 million payroll last season. You have to figure that this year's revenue is going to be down a bit, and maybe next year's as well. This puts the organization out of the red next season even in the extreme unlikelihood that there's a luxury tax charged in the summer of 2005.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Some things have nothing to do with money and alot to do with brains and players that have them. We do not have the smartest team by any means. Person is one of the brighter ones and he can kill ya from outside. We need a deadly outside shooter and we have one with him. He moves well without the ball and gets himself open to use that dagger.

Name another player we can get for Person that can stroke the three and has his type of character, and smarts? Maybe Barry from the Sonics but I think he'll cost us more.

I would trade DA, DD, Damon and Q before I'd move Person.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
The one year White got substantial playing time, he averaged around 8 boards and 9 points in 24 minutes. He is one of the strongest and toughest players in the league and works hard on "D". In other words, he is capable of doing what DD used to do.

White is no where close to being a star. If he could be re-signed at a reasonable figure, which is very likely, he and Sheed could form a solid tag-team at center.

Whether you make a deal like this depends on whether you believe Portland can actually make the play-offs this season. In the short run, Person is worth more to the team. If you are thinking long-term, White could make us a deeper team (and a better defensive team). It also forces Cheeks to give Q a chance to at a more natural position.

I am a firm believer in the need for a good bench. Stepania is not a long-term solution, and DD certainly isn't. White might be.

Obviously, this is a very minor trade......but one that could work out for the Blazers.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Oldmangrouch</b>!
In the short run, Person is worth more to the team. If you are thinking long-term, White could make us a deeper team (and a better defensive team).
If we did this phoenix trade the reason would not be to acquire white, it would be for the draft pick at the cost of absorbing whites contract next year.

White should not be in the same sentance as long term!

If we can get a draft pick for person go for it! We might be able to sign him in the offseason if we want him. Its not like person is going to get us over the hump this year anyways.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!

PORTLAND sends Wesley Person to Phoenix
PORTLAND receives Jahidi White and Cleveland's conditional 2004 1st round pick (lottery protected this year)

PHOENIX sends Jahidi White and Cleveland's conditional 2004 1st round pick to Portland, and sends Tom Gugliotta and New York's 2004 1st round pick to Utah.
PHOENIX receives Wesley Person and Keon Clark.

UTAH sends Keon Clark to Phoenix
UTAH receives Tom Gugliotta and New York's 2004 1st round pick
Never mind.....

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
The Blazers are looking toward next year with a player personnel budget of around $55-60 million.
This now gets thrown out the window after the trade tonight. Say it with me - $70 million payroll if Miles walks, more if they re-sign him.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Nash said at the press conf... it is bad in the short term financially

besides.. next year many have said there will be no lux tax.. so why worry? :whoknows: as some say... its not our money being spent!

we will not be under the cap anyways... if we are $1 over the cap or $24 mil over it will not matter. We can not sign anyone this summer anyways as a FA... we will be over it no matter what.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
From Jeff Robertson's Article:

As for specific teams, I am hearing that the Blazers are really liking their current lineup and are stepping out of interest in Shareef Abdur-Rahim from the Hawks.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Looks like Jeff's contact may have used him a little during the games that are played prior to a trade like the one that just went down. I think DA's article about Sheed's extension was more of the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts