Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Richard Jefferson, who has not played since undergoing surgery on Jan. 11 to repair ruptured ligaments in his left wrist, has been cleared to resume dribbling with his left hand, the Nets announced yesterday. But Ed Stefanski, the Nets' general manager, did not sound optimistic about Jefferson's chances of returning before the end of the Nets' regular season on April 20.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/02/sports/basketball/02nets.html?

I have a feeling that, if the Nets make the playoffs, we're not going to know if RJ can play until the day of Game 1.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
schub said:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/02/sports/basketball/02nets.html?

I have a feeling that, if the Nets make the playoffs, we're not going to know if RJ can play until the day of Game 1.
It's top secret.
They don't want to give the other teams an idea when he's coming back.
They will activate him the time the other team least expects him to return.
Ooops, this is suppose to be a secret. Therefore I can "terminate" whoever read this post. :joke:

·
Registered
210 Posts
It would be nice to see Jefferson back before the playoffs and it would give him some time to shake off the rust and adjust to the Nets team with Carter before the playoffs start.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
They showed a clip during tonights game of him shooing some, and it looked like he was sweating some, so I guess he was working kind of hard.
well the good thing about this, is that it's not his shooting hand plus it won't hurt his conditioning...he has said he's been keeping in shape so I believe he'll be fine when he gets back if we make it...just he'll be rusty as far as his shot goes...

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Mogriffjr said:
well the good thing about this, is that it's not his shooting hand plus it won't hurt his conditioning...he has said he's been keeping in shape so I believe he'll be fine when he gets back if we make it...just he'll be rusty as far as his shot goes...
That doesn't matter, how much worse can he be than Buford or Mercer?

-Petey

·
Registered
163 Posts
I know! What's up with Buford? We better get him out of the team in the off season.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Much more in the Ledger:

His 40-minute workout at the Garden last night consisted of running, shooting, more running and shooting, and just enough intensity that a member of the training staff had to walk over and tell him to cool it, please.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think the Nets' small forward is trying to fast-track his rehab, even with his left wrist wrapped in a harness.

"I'm not doing anything I hadn't planned on doing before," Jefferson said before the Nets' 93-91 victory over the Knicks. "I'm allowed to run and work out. And I'm doing all right. I've had good strength the last couple of days. I even dribbled a little bit -- just some control stuff."

Officially, Jefferson's wrist won't be given clearance for contact until two months after rehab began (March 15). So if it's up to physical therapist Gary Flink, the notion of playing basketball this year are moot.

But it's more complicated than that, according to a Nets official. If Jefferson gets clearance from the doctor, "he will be in there, I would imagine. Because otherwise he looks great, and in terms of cardio, he already looks ready."

Jefferson, who calls himself "insanely optimistic," won't budge himself: He still refuses to discount the possibility of playing this year.

"But there are still four opinions to consider," he added. "The team, the trainer, the doctor, and myself. It depends on how it goes the next few weeks.

"I won't do anything stupid. If I don't feel it's ready, I'm not a fool, I'm not going to try. It's not like we have a chance to win the championship here and I'm the missing key to it. But the goal is to make the playoffs and keep that streak going for the fans. I'd like to be a part of that.

"Hey, if we're not a game and a half out with three games to go, I'm not going to come back. But if we're a half game out and a few games left, why not try?
http://www.nj.com/nets/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1112423413297200.xml

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
"So if it's up to physical therapist Gary Flink, the notion of playing basketball this year are moot."

That's the point I find pessimistic. This is the guy the Nets are paying to assess the progress of RJ's rehab as well as the danger an early return would pose.

·
Registered
163 Posts
but there IS a chance right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts