Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Jered Weaver admits he had to go against the advice of agent Scott Boras before agreeing to the Los Angeles Angels' five-year, $85 million contract extension, but he said the lure of staying home outweighed the seduction of greater riches.

"If $85 (million) is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I'm pretty stupid, but how much money do you really need in life?" Weaver said Tuesday. "I've never played this game for the money. I played it for the love and the competitive part of it. It just so happens that baseball's going to be taking care of me for the rest of my life."

Weaver, 28, may have left tens of millions on the table by signing 15 months before he reached free agency. He might have been able to get a deal that approaches the seven-year, $161 million contract CC Sabathia signed with the New York Yankees before the 2009 season.

However, Weaver's deal is comparable to recent contracts for Detroit's Justin Verlander and Seattle's Felix Hernandez, and it's bigger than Boston's deal with John Lackey, who left the Angels before last season for a five-year, $82.5 million windfall that's still drawing criticism from Red Sox fans. Weaver said he just wasn't interested in chasing "CC Sabathia money."
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/6889644/jered-weaver-bucks-scott-boras-advice-new-los-angeles-angels-deal

I wish more players would do this. #IamlookingatyouPrince

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
I think there is a chance... maybe not a great chance. Prince likes it here, he likes his teammates, he has come up with weeks,gallardo, braun and hart and they are all signed long term... i wouldnt put any money on prince staying but there is a chance
I think Prince is leaving for sure. If he's planning on staying then he would've signed an extension already. The Yankees will probably sign him to be their answer to A-Gon.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
A WIN METHOD player would have waited it out and signed with the Yankees. Clearly Jered Weaver is not WIN METHOD, and therefore is truly not even a decent pitcher.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Prince is leaving for sure. If he's planning on staying then he would've signed an extension already. The Yankees will probably sign him to be their answer to A-Gon.
Yankees are not going to sign him, not with as much as they are paying Teixeira, A-Rod, Jeter, Sabathia, etc, etc. Not to mention, Granderson is line for a huge pay raise down the line with the season he is having.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
I think the brewers biggest competitors are Washington, Chicago Cubs, and Saint Louis (If Albert goes)

Washington is a major player in this, they arent shy about spending money, they are constantly looking to make that big splash, and Boras is also Strasburg and Harpers agent...

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
I always heard that Prince kinda hated Milwaukee and has a soft spot in his heart for greenbacks. Big Papi comes off the books this year for the Sox and the Yankees don't have a DH, I'm expecting a bidding war, although I seem to be the only person with this opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts