Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
I'm still looking for this team to really take it to the next level next season when they have Artest and all back. I just hope the Pacers organisation just do anything silly because that would suck.

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
This is great. Indiana probaly won't make the playoffs, their little hot spark should wear off soon, making it easier for the Bulls to get in, since the Bulls are slumping, although they should get Eddy Curry and Luol Deng back tommorow.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Indiana could still get in. Magic are looking awful lately

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
would it be better for this team not to make the playoffs? then they could add a lottery pick to the core of artest, oneal, tinsley, jackson. it's too bad reggie miller has to go out like this. maybe he will decide to come back for one more year because that team(especially if they add a lottery pick who is ready to play) could give reggie one last legit chance at a title.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
I don't think it's very likely that the Pacers will miss the playoffs. They have a home-and-home coming up against New Jersey, and if they can even get a split, they're basically a playoff lock. There just aren't enough games left for there to be a huge shift in the standings at this point.

As for the Pacers being better off missing the playoffs, people say that sort of thing all the time and I always find it ridiculous. The difference between the 12th pick and the 15th pick isn't even close to enough to make it worthwhile to miss the playoffs. For some reason, there's a kind of mystique around the idea of a "lottery pick" that makes people think that if you get one, your team is going to be awesome next year. It doesn't work that way, or else we wouldn't see the same teams in the lottery year after year.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
RP McMurphy said:
As for the Pacers being better off missing the playoffs, people say that sort of thing all the time and I always find it ridiculous. The difference between the 12th pick and the 15th pick isn't even close to enough to make it worthwhile to miss the playoffs. For some reason, there's a kind of mystique around the idea of a "lottery pick" that makes people think that if you get one, your team is going to be awesome next year. It doesn't work that way, or else we wouldn't see the same teams in the lottery year after year.
depending on what players come out, there could be a large difference between the 12th pick and the 15th pick. it all depends on the talent available. and being in the lottery gives them a shot at getting a very high pick. they don't have very good chances, but they do have a chance to get a top pick. and is being a quick 1st round exit really that much better than missing the playoffs and getting to pick a few picks higher?

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
12th picks - Khalid Reeves , Cherokee Parks, Vitaly Potapenko, Austin Croshere, Michael Doleac, Alek Redojevic, Etan Thomas, Vladimir Radmanovich, Melvin Ely, Nick Collison, Robert Swift

Those are the 12th picks since 1994. I used 12th pick because that was the example given in the thread (12th compared to 15th). Then you have guys like Steve Nash, Brent Barry and Matt Harpring who were selected at 15th. There is little difference between the picks, and it basically comes down to scouting and luck.

The difference between 12th and 15th isn't nearly as big as the difference between 1st and 4th. As the picks get higher, their value even out. I'd much rather have my team extend their season into the playoffs and have a 15th pick (or much later) than miss the playoffs and have a 12th pick.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
rocketeer said:
depending on what players come out, there could be a large difference between the 12th pick and the 15th pick. it all depends on the talent available. and being in the lottery gives them a shot at getting a very high pick. they don't have very good chances, but they do have a chance to get a top pick.
Looking at the players who have been drafted at 12th in recent years (thanks Sir Patchwork), I think your statement is quite a stretch. There's a good chance you won't even end up with an impact player. And if I found out that my team purposefully missed the playoffs because they were more interested in an 0.6 percent chance at the top pick, I think I'd stop being a fan.

and is being a quick 1st round exit really that much better than missing the playoffs and getting to pick a few picks higher?
Of course it is. Even if we're getting swept by the Heat, I wouldn't miss watching the Pacers in the playoffs for anything. I'd rather win 40 games than 20 games, I'd rather get swept in the first round than just miss the playoffs, I'd rather make the second round than the first round. I hate losing and I want to see my team do as well as possible. There are some fans who don't mind sucking because they tell themselves it's better "for the future," but that's the mentality of a losing franchise IMO.

I don't agree with the idea that your season was a failure unless you won the championship. I don't think Sacramento fans would rather have cheered for Atlanta the past few years. If the Pacers make the playoffs even after all the setbacks we've suffered this season, that will mean a lot to me as a fan.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Since JO's been on the injured list, Indiana has moved from 8th to 6th in the Eastern Conference. They are as close to 4th as they are to 9th right now.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
I hope they get in... I want Reggie to have a great exit, I respect him so much.

Reactions: Turkish Delight

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
gian said:
I hope they get in... I want Reggie to have a great exit, I respect him so much.
Don't hold your breath...In all seriousness, the Pacers could sneak into the playoffs but I have a feeling that it's not meant to be. If they can get into the playoffs then Coach Carlisle has to be considered for coach of the year for all they've been through this season.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
I don't know if their future is as bright as some think. Even when they had everyone (minus Artest) back they still were mediocre. Even though Artest is a big piece, I think they have to basically start from scratch as far as rebuilding chemistry goes. You don't just stack talent and you all of the sudden have a good team. Continuity and familiarity among players is important too. What was the difference between 03 Pacers and 04 Pacers? Experience, better coaching, and continuity. I don't think they're going to be back to 04 level next year. It might take them another year to get back to where they were. Reggie Miller being gone is going to be a bigger loss that people consider too, even though he's not as good as of old, it's his leadership and lockerroom character that helped that team a lot.

Playoff team next year, but not elite team.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
I don't know if their future is as bright as some think. Even when they had everyone (minus Artest) back they still were mediocre. Even though Artest is a big piece, I think they have to basically start from scratch as far as rebuilding chemistry goes. You don't just stack talent and you all of the sudden have a good team. Continuity and familiarity among players is important too. What was the difference between 03 Pacers and 04 Pacers?
I get your point somewhat, but right before the "Basketbrawl", the Pacers were soundly beating the defending NBA champions in their house. The Pacers were as good as any team in the league, and they were building the continuity and familarity you talk about. They didn't just "stack talent" by signing Jackson. Reggie Miller was a year or two from retirement, and they needed a solid replacement for him. Jackson is what they need, not just another offensive player on a stacked team. I think they'd be either the 1st or 2nd seed right now if it weren't for the Artest incident. I expect the Pacers to pick up where they left off next year, as far as having the full deck of players and being an elite team.

This O'neal injury is just the cherry on top of the molded cake for the Pacers. Better luck next year, pacers fans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts