Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my opinion, hes easily been a top 5-7 player this year. 20.7 points, 10.6 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 2.72 blocks. Thats #13 in scoring, #6 in rebounds, #4 in blocks. Not only that, but his team is among the best in the league this year, and he and Artest have been the main reason why.

being a 20/10 guy, being a real good defender, has a nice post game and a nice touch midrange. Where does this put him among Duncan, KG, etc??

I'd say hes playing like the 4th or 5th best player in the league right now, what do yall think?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I agree, although I dont think alot of people will. What people have to factor in is that he has led his team to the second best record in the league.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
I really like JO.
Right now he is the 3rd best PF maybe even 3rd best F (not for long of course) , he is only shooting 43% as a big guy that is kinda sad though.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
He's an amazingly complete all-around 4. Not only is he a big man who can do everything, he is young and athletic and still improving.

I was just thinking how great of a defender and shotblocker he is. He blocks more strong attempts than anybody... most of the top shotblockers get their blocks swatting away weak layups on help defense... he blocks dunks and stuffs his own man. For most shotblockers the key is to go right at them instead of trying to avoid them... that doesn't work with him. He'll be all over it.

Not to mention rebounding, post scoring, his mid-range shooting, etc.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
After seeing the Spurs start spanking the Pacers with JO in foul trouble, I would say that he is pretty damn good. Not only because of that, but it's clear he is the main man on one of the best teams in the league.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Not sure about that one. I feel like Artest is at least as valueable to the Pacers this season.

·
Registered
103 Posts
yeah i feel J. O'Neal is a top 10 player this year, and a top 5 post player...maybe even as high as #3 as a post...he's a consistent 20/10 guy who is a go-to player on arguably the best team in the East...

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Honestly, I don't see the contrast between Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal because it looks like they both have the same exact type of game. The only aspect that would place Garnett a notch above O'Neal is probably heart. Not saying O'Neal has none, but Garnett plays with heart every game and that's why he's probably more known than O'Neal

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!
Honestly, I don't see the contrast between Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal because it looks like they both have the same exact type of game. The only aspect that would place Garnett a notch above O'Neal is probably heart. Not saying O'Neal has none, but Garnett plays with heart every game and that's why he's probably more known than O'Neal
Or maybe it's cause it took O'Neal so much longer than Garnett.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Definitely a top 15 player.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Jermaines one of the best big men in the league today.

He's the best big man in the East, and i believe a top 3 power forward in the league. Jermaine could also be a candidate this year for Defensive Player of the Year, and probably MVP. I doubt he wins MVP, because if he does it should be co-MVP between him and Artest (KG deserves mvp anyways).

Chris Bosh reminds me A LOT of Jermaine O'Neal, Bosh is compared to Garnett because he has the same type of build, and he runs like a gazelle up the court. Bosh & Jermaine both have long range in their jumpers, can hit anywhere from inside the 3 point line. They were both very skinny coming into the league, Jermaine was 210 i believe, Bosh currently is 228. They both are good post defenders, shot blockers, though Bosh has trouble in the post because of his thin frame. Anyways I really like this comparison, and if none of you have seen Bosh, just think rawer, skinnier Jermaine, with great basketball smarts.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by <b>hellbot</b>!
Chris Bosh reminds me A LOT of Jermaine O'Neal, Bosh is compared to Garnett because he has the same type of build, and he runs like a gazelle up the court. Bosh & Jermaine both have long range in their jumpers, can hit anywhere from inside the 3 point line. They were both very skinny coming into the league, Jermaine was 210 i believe, Bosh currently is 228. They both are good post defenders, shot blockers, though Bosh has trouble in the post because of his thin frame. Anyways I really like this comparison, and if none of you have seen Bosh, just think rawer, skinnier Jermaine, with great basketball smarts.
I agree. Nice comparison.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Jermaine is the man

THE MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER IN THE NBA

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Jermaine O'Neal is of course one of the best players in the NBA. Top 10 player is arguable, but definitely top 15. He is the best big man in the East b/c no one out there comes even close to him. In the entire NBA, I think he's just under KG and Duncan in terms of the low post.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
He's the 3rd best PF this year, but if Webber plays he's better IMO, and Dirk too until this season. I rate him the 5th best PF.

Basing this on say the last 2 seasons and this one so far I say top 15 is

Duncan
Garnett
Webber
Dirk
JO
Iverson
Pierce
Kobe
TMAC
Shaq
Kidd
Marbury
Allen
Carter
Mash/Peja/Marion (need at least 1 SF in there and I can't decide)

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I'd compare Bosh more to JO also. The only serious difference between Jermaine and Garnett's game is that he's still a tad more versatile, evidenced by 4 apg. O'neal is one of my favorite players, definetly underrated. He's never talked about when people talk about top players, he seems to be the unspoken one (the man that everyone knows is awesome, but never gets mentioned). I put him probably right behind KG and Duncan.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts