Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jess Kersey is a REALLY big baby!!

FROM SPORTSLINE....

The week before the All-Star break and nothing could have been more infuriating than to see the horrible way in which a veteran NBA official mistreated an entire team Monday night ...

1. Item: Chicago Bulls coach Scott Skiles was fined $7,500 for saying the following: "Jess Kersey turned his back on me right from the beginning of the game. I'm not sure why. We weren't even getting on him at all at that time. He spent most of the game not even acknowledging any of the questions we had or anything else. And really, he was a big baby out there, and it's really a shame for a guy of his experience to be that way.

What it really means: The NBA still doesn't understand how much certain officials undermine the integrity of games. Kersey refused to discuss anything with Skiles throughout the game and ejected young 7-foot center Tyson Chandler with a second technical foul that was nearly as dubious as the first one.

Then, in the waning moments of the game, Skiles was wrongly informed of his timeout situation and was tagged with a technical foul as well. Even then, Kersey didn't explain it to him. Kersey and the Bulls locked horns early in the year when he essentially cussed out rookie Kirk Hinrich for complaining about the lack of respect. Hinrich then told Bulls general manager John Paxson, who put in the requisite call to executive vice president Stu Jackson.

Jackson chastised Kersey for it, and the next time Kersey did a Bulls game, he approached Hinrich with, "So, you had to go tell your general manager on me?"

Let's face it, Kersey is well past his prime anyway. For him to carry grudges into games with the Bulls not only puts into question the subject of suspension, but the fairness of any game he officiates. And the NBA can ill afford any such status.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7068275

·
Turned Thabo Fanatic
751 Posts
Cool, maybe refs (other than Kersey who seems to be determined to hold a grudge now) will think twice next time before they unfairly pentalize the Bulls for whatever reason. We've got enough issues w/o having the refs working against us. The fact that Kersey was held accountable for his actions is a good sign.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
there is something seriously wrong with NBA officiating.

What other sport has refs the fans know by name? That thje fans can tell how the game will be called before it starts by checking who's calling the game?

In what other sport is it common knowledge that some players get calls that other players don't get?

Where teams know in advance that they won't get a fair game because a ref is biased against them?

The NBA needs to address this. They talk about Pete Rose "affecting the integrity of the game." The NBA is affecting the integrity of the game every time it sendstheir officiating crews to the floor.

It is sad.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
there is something seriously wrong with NBA officiating.

What other sport has refs the fans know by name? That thje fans can tell how the game will be called before it starts by checking who's calling the game?

In what other sport is it common knowledge that some players get calls that other players don't get?

Where teams know in advance that they won't get a fair game because a ref is biased against them?

The NBA needs to address this. They talk about Pete Rose "affecting the integrity of the game." The NBA is affecting the integrity of the game every time it sendstheir officiating crews to the floor.

It is sad.
uhh most people know nba officials just as well (by name or whatever) as mlb and nfl officials

·
36,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>knickstorm</b>!

uhh most people know nba officials just as well (by name or whatever) as mlb and nfl officials
Not in my experience. Putting that aside, I don't see the same kind of preferential calls in the NFL and even less so in MLB.

It happens. It happens. But I think in general in MLB a strike zone is a strike zone, and if an ump is calling it a little wide or a little narrow, at least it is generally called the same way for both sides in the course of a game.

NOT true in the NBA. There are far too many instances of one team getting to the line 30 times and the other team getting to the line like 5 times. And it ain't coincidence.

Its one step removed from pro wrestling "officiating" far too often.

·
36,839 Posts
And hell, I'm a Bulls fan -- I freely admit that MJ and the Bulls got the good end of this biased officiating for the best part of a decade (although I'll defend the MJ/Utah push off non-call in '98 every day of the week -- it was a payback non-call for multiple missed calls at the other end on the previous two possessions).

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think poor officiating and preferential treatment for stars hurts the pro game. There are many guys I work with who love college hoops, but not pros b/c of this very reason. I don't believe in make up call for missed calls. They should call the game as straight as possible and quit giving stars the benifit of the doubt.

Some of the officiatiing we see makes this game a farse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.