Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?page=coachingchanges05

That is the list of Div. I coaching changes from this season. There are some that are just out of Agel's range because of the Athletic Dept. need for a 'name' coach, and there are some that are just bad places to be in. Eastern Illinois seems in his range, and may be somewhat appealing because they won 12 games last year, decent conference too (the OVC). Agel has gotten players from the midwest before, Trevor Gaines, Grant Anderson, Matt Hansen are a few I can think of. With the right conditions, I think he can have some success, not as much with a Taylor TJ combo, but he sure could use that as a recruiting angle.

More likely though, he ends up as an assistant at another program, hopefully in a better conference, and can build his resume further. His buddy Stan Van Gundy could als get him a spot on the Miami Heat coaching staff, which Agel was offered last year, but declined because he thought he would get the Vermont job. It will be hard for him to prove he can be successful without Coppenrath and Sorrentine, but I think he at least deserves a shot.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
453 Posts
well personally i think there is a chance out there that he could land a fairly decent head coaching job.. but the school will be have to see how he works exactly without 2 stars on the team like TJ and TC. If he doesn't get a head coaching job that he likes though for some reason, i think he should try to get a spot on the Heat for the NBA rather then just being a college assistant again.. the money could be different and it might work out for him better..thats what i think. it will be interesting to see where he ends up.. i wish him luck with it

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I haven't read Agel's resume...

...but I would hope that the very first line, before even his name, reads "The Guy Who Found Taylor Coppenrath & T.J. Sorrentine". Some coaches have parlayed shorter straws than that into pretty decent gigs. Pimp that fact for everything it's worth.

I read that list of coaching vacancies, and my reaction was: this is not a list that plays to his favor. When you pare down the list to Agel's realistic level of coaching (i.e. Virginia and Tennessee are out the window), geography plays a big role against him. At the mid-major level, there tends to be a strong pull to bring in a coach with at least some general ties to the part of the country where the school/conference is located (as hard a time as many of you had reading that sentence, think of how hard it was to write). And while Agel & Co. have turned up some recruiting gems in different regions (Trevor Gaines in MI, Grant Anderson in MN), they've mostly been isolated incidents. I think if he's gonna get a D-1 head job soon, it's gonna be in the east. I don't see any of these mid-major schools going out on a limb with someone like Agel, because whatever the actual mileage is...Vermont's a world away from some of these schools/conferences. And if you scan the list for eastern mid-major jobs, ones that *aren't* Siena and Stony Brook, you get...St. Francis (NY), and that's a job (judging by their roster) where you gotta hit NYC, which he's never done. Slim pickings this year.

Of course, he doesn't have to get a head job (I imagine he'd like one, but it doesn't have to happen *this* year). It's entirely possible he could latch on elsewhere as an assistant, for more money than at UVM, possibly somewhere in the region to minimize re-location (not that I know of any schools looking for assistants, just sort of an open-ended possibility). Get some non-UVM work experience, work with/for some other (better) coaches, and establish more of a reputation outside Vermont/America East. Wouldn't be the end of the world.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Living in Texas where the Junior College scene is quite competitive, maybe he would like to explore a head coaching job at the JUCO level.

Contrary to what many people think in the New England area about JUCOs, in the Texas area you can play for a good two-year program like Collin County Community College (and they are academically respectable), gain strength and maturity, and transfer to a good four-year college.

Believe me, down here the JUCOs don't have the negative stigma that the Northeast pegs to them. Many high school players that don't get heavily recruited decide to attend the Collin County's and the San Jacinto's rather than waste four years in lowly mid-major teams.

If Agel doesn't mind getting his hands dirty for a few years, that's another route he should explore.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
You make a very good point, Velez. Perhaps coaching in the JUCO ranks is another option for him, if he's dead-set on getting head coaching experience, regardless of the level.

You mention the negative attitude that JUCOs usually get, and I think the reason that happens is because there are a handful of JUCOs out there who *deserve* a negative attitude, and essentially they're "ruining it for the rest of them". Whenever you hear more-mainstream basketball news on JUCO hoops, it's because places like Barton CC are neck-deep in all sorts of shady dealings and schemes, and they wrongfully become the poster-child for JUCOs. But there's plenty of good kids out there playing in plenty of good programs, and certainly is a good outlet for future coaches.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Drew VT 6 said:
How 'bout the UW-M position that just opened up? I think he'd make a fantastic candidate for that job.

You mean Agel taped conversations with a recruit and ratted Illinois out too??! :biggrin:

Bo Ryan to Bruce Pearl to Jesse Agel...seems like a stretch, but you never know.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Coach Agel is still on campus, I saw him yesterday after my class outside the College St side of Waterman with Jack Phelan and Tiffany Spinka of the women's team. Hopefully he is sitting on a few offers.

Personally, I think he would be a great fit to take over new SBU coach Steve Pikell's assistant job at GW. Pikell was an X and O's guy and was a claming force to Carl Hobbs agressive coaching. Jesse could do what he does best, and Hobbs can motivate and recruit. From an outside prospective, it seems like a great fit.

Yesterday was also one of those accepted students days where I saw Tim McCrory in the Harris/Millis dining hall so I went up and said hi and talked for a minute or so. He thinks they should be better than people expect them to be for next season, and he likes Coach Lonergan. We were both in a hurry, so we didn't talk long and I didn't think to ask him about some of the transfer people practicing with them.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
redloon said:
What if the UNH job opened up? Would Agel throw his hat in the ring?
He could, but I don't think UNH gets rid of Rowe this year, they will next year. And, as was mentioned before in old threads, the whole "How does he coach without TC and TJ?" arises.

Right now, Agel's best bet is to get an assistant job somewhere else in a stronger conference. If he lands with a program with some talent, and helps in coaching them well and show that he can recruit at a competitive level yearly, that would get him a D1 coaching job in the future. I read a while back in the freep that he does not care about the level, be it D1 or D2, as long as he can coach. Hopefully he finds something soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts