Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Adrian Peterson came back from ACL surgery to have one of the best seasons in NFL history, so it can be done. But a very tough blow for UMass, which was not terribly deep to begin with.

·
Jump Hook Assassin
1,870 Posts
Difficult to swallow. We've pulled it together a little bit here, but this won't help. Hopefully we can make some hay at home without him. Tall task though.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Sucks I wonder how much of next season he will miss
The new season is about 10 months away from now (9 from the surgery). That seems like a reasonable time frame to be able to start doing some basic workouts. Probably looking at not getting him mostly/fully back until the mid/end of December at the earliest.

Unless of course he pulls an Adrian Peterson on us.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Depth has taken a big whack since last year, starting with Carter's injury. He is playing pretty well but is just not the same. Also: redshirt frosh guard leaves inexplicably, Javorn Farrell gets hurt, now Morgan. UMass will be fortunate to finish in the 6-8 range now, unless another player or two really steps up.

A team can never have enough depth.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
poor kid is only going to end up with 2.5 seasons of ball. maybe he can petition the ncaa for another year of eligibility.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Not only that, probably more than half of the players that get this injury never really regain their full explosiveness, even with the improvements in the surgery repair in recent years. Tough break for Morgan, hope he can be the exception and recover fully and quickly.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
Depth has taken a big whack since last year, starting with Carter's injury. He is playing pretty well but is just not the same. Also: redshirt frosh guard leaves inexplicably, Javorn Farrell gets hurt, now Morgan. UMass will be fortunate to finish in the 6-8 range now, unless another player or two really steps up.

A team can never have enough depth.
This sucks. But I totally disagree with your stance on this. This is still a top 5 A-10 team in my eyes, and finishing 6-8 would be a disappointment. While we're unfortunate with all the guards we've lost, there is still stuff to positive about. Thankfully we have gotten a lot more out of Trey Davis in his freshman year than anyone expected, and his play is only going to improve with more minutes. Using Trey and Chaz on the floor at the same time adds a whole other dimension to our offense and it really keeps the offense more under control. We're also fortunate for the improved play of Freddie Riley. While he's no Jesse, we need him to give us a sliver of depth and he provides us with that. I really hope Morgan is ok for next season, and he definitely should petition for more eligibility, because he deserves it.

At this point the tournament is looking a bit doubtful, but a top 5 finish should be no surprise. Thank god Northeastern is a tournament team this year.

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
This sucks. But I totally disagree with your stance on this. This is still a top 5 A-10 team in my eyes, and finishing 6-8 would be a disappointment. While we're unfortunate with all the guards we've lost, there is still stuff to positive about. Thankfully we have gotten a lot more out of Trey Davis in his freshman year than anyone expected, and his play is only going to improve with more minutes. Using Trey and Chaz on the floor at the same time adds a whole other dimension to our offense and it really keeps the offense more under control. We're also fortunate for the improved play of Freddie Riley. While he's no Jesse, we need him to give us a sliver of depth and he provides us with that. I really hope Morgan is ok for next season, and he definitely should petition for more eligibility, because he deserves it.

At this point the tournament is looking a bit doubtful, but a top 5 finish should be no surprise. Thank god Northeastern is a tournament team this year.
Makes a lot of sense. Who's the "next man up"? Davis?

We took our shots at each other for the conference opener...so now that we don't see UMass until possibly the league tourney, best of luck to the Minutemen.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
Makes a lot of sense. Who's the "next man up"? Davis?

We took our shots at each other for the conference opener...so now that we don't see UMass until possibly the league tourney, best of luck to the Minutemen.
Yeah probably Davis. The thing is, we only have a 3 man backcourt now. The only possible line-up combinations are Trey-Chaz and Chaz-Riley. I like the Trey-Chaz combo better, because the offense is more under control and Chaz is a great SG, better than Riley. But in reality, Kellogg will probably start the senior and go with his experience. Regardless of who starts, expect Davis' minutes to increase a lot.

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
Yeah probably Davis. The thing is, we only have a 3 man backcourt now. The only possible line-up combinations are Trey-Chaz and Chaz-Riley. I like the Trey-Chaz combo better, because the offense is more under control and Chaz is a great SG, better than Riley. But in reality, Kellogg will probably start the senior and go with his experience. Regardless of who starts, expect Davis' minutes to increase a lot.
A 3 man backcourt is tough, but by no means is it a death sentence for a season. With Jake Barnett's minutes going down, we're a 3 man backcourt as well.

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
I agree, it's not a death sentence at all. But with no quality wins, and likely only 3 possible left, an NCAA bid is looking doubtful. I believe we will finish with a good A-10 record, but the key is to beat VCU, Butler, and Temple. To get a bid we likely need to win 2, if not all 3 of them. And losing Morgan certainly hurts our chances.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A 3 man backcourt is tough, but by no means is it a death sentence for a season. With Jake Barnett's minutes going down, we're a 3 man backcourt as well.
The worst part about only having the 3 man back-court is that a lot of our better runs on the court came when we changed the pace by inserting all 3 guards (Davis being the man left out). That won't be able to happen as much (or at all) now with no depth.

They might try a Trey/Riley combo after working them together more in practice. Trey is a true PG and Riley is not.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Playing time may work itself out, but this does look like it means more shots for Riley. That's not a good thing for Umass, as Riley shoots a lower percentage, primarily due to a heavier reliance on 3's and pretty poor shot selection. He's shot 4 ft's total this year, which is astonishing until you realize that he probably shot most of his two's with a foot on the 3 pt line. Morgan wasn't exactly selective in his shots either, but he did have a more versatile game.

I assume Williams shoots more too, for which he may keep a similar percentage or he may not (additional scoring load usually means making more difficult shots).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I couldn't help but laugh when I saw this.

I work as a bouncer in downtown Amherst just trying to make a bit of money while going to school. Jesse shows up one night last fall and refuses to pay the $5 cover charge (entitled much?). After an extended argument he finally decides to walk away. Then all of the sudden he reaches in his pocket and whips an EGG at my face and runs away. Fortunately he missed me by about an inch. If that hit me in the eye it could easily have done permanent damage.

Why he carries raw eggs out with him I don't know, but this is karma at its finest.

I hope this POS tears the other one next year.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Should've told him to not pay would be an NCAA violation.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts