Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Staying in the Atlantic Division but moving overseas: Philadelphia coach Jim O'Brien recently spent some quality time in Istanbul, but visiting historical sights on the banks of the Bosphorus was not on his agenda. Allen Iverson, in pre-Olympic action, provided the main attraction, as O'Brien continues to build a relationship with the practice-averse superstar. So far, so good. O'Brien believes the same can be said about the reshaped Sixers. "We made a lot of positive changes this summer with our roster," said O'Brien. "When [president/general manager] Billy [King] and I put our heads together, we knew we wanted to go in a certain direction. We wanted to improve our ability inside, free up playing time for Willie Green, and shore up the center position. I feel we accomplished all those things. I'm more confident with our current roster than when I took over. If we can stay healthy, I feel we can make the playoffs, and that's the first order of business. On defense, we have guys who can definitely knock people down. On offense, we have at least five guys that can really score, and by that I mean create their own shot and get to the foul line. I don't feel I had that luxury with that many scorers in my last job." In case anyone forgot, O'Brien's last job was coach of the Celtics. The drama resumes in the Boston home opener Nov. 3, when Philadelphia visits the FleetCenter. "We have to play every opponent [in the division] twice on the road," said O'Brien. "At some point in time, the staff was going to have to play its first game in Boston. It just comes early. Certainly, that will add a certain dimension that I would prefer not to have, and we'll adjust." The Sixers showed just how quickly they can adjust when Mark Blount re-signed with the Celtics. O'Brien had hoped to land his former player, but Philadelphia could not match what Boston offered. Still, the Sixers wasted no time bringing back Brian Skinner. And on the subject of big men, O'Brien added that he has been particularly impressed with young center Samuel Dalembert.
LINK

·
Registered
543 Posts
It would be great if Iverson's olympic maturity would carry into the season.

And when J.O'Brien says that one of strategic goals of summer moves was freeing up playing time for Willie Green, there's a pretty good chance he will have important role in Sixers game plan.

What are his strenghts? Weaknesses? If he is a scorer, does it mean Iverson will be a full time PG? That would be great for his career.

(Willie Green just made my fantasy basketball sleepers list)

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by <b>brazys</b>!
IWhat are his strenghts? Weaknesses? If he is a scorer, does it mean Iverson will be a full time PG? That would be great for his career.
Willie Green is a really good perimeter defender, has active hands but is really good using his body. For a guard he's a good rebounder. Confidence is never a problem with Green, he knows he's good and will play his game no matter what, and is adept at creating his own shot. Also he's very aggressive, he'll try to dunk on anyone who's in his way when he's attacking the basket. He's also a solid passer, nothing great though. Also has a good basketball IQ. One last thing about Green, he's a ball of energy, and his enthusiasm on the ball rubs off on other players.

Some weaknesses are, at 6'4 he's not tall enough to really bother some of the elite SGs in the league. For a guard his handles are pretty shaky, and he can become a chucker, with Obie coaching, Green will get a lot of attempts. He's a good athlete, but nothing extraordinary. Overall Green is an average player, who should have a nice season.

And his starting will mean that Iverson is playing PG, but don't expect AI's game to differ much from last season. I'd expect him to be more unselfish like in the Olympics, Iverson has a tendency of when players are afraid to shoot to just take it all on himself, now with some of the players on this team they won't be scared to jack it up when they get it.

Also for Willie Green, if the Sixers re-sign him after the season, the long term goal should be him coming off the bench behind Iguodala, unless they see Iggy as a full-time SF when he's ready.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>KL Dawger</b>!
Does anyone know how tall Willie Green really is? I've heard from 6'1 to 6'5.
He's 6'4.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PhillyPhanatic</b>!
He's a good athlete, but nothing extraordinary. Overall Green is an average player, who should have a nice season.
I don't even think that Willie Green is an average player. I don't think he should be starting on our team and he would not start for any other team in the league. He isn't really good at anything and is undersized for his position, I don't see why we would have him starting.

Hopefully he proves me wrong during the season.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't even think that Willie Green is an average player. I don't think he should be starting on our team and he would not start for any other team in the league. He isn't really good at anything and is undersized for his position, I don't see why we would have him starting.

He's good at a lot things, he just doesn't excel at anything offensively. Also I'm sure there are other teams he could start on like the Bobcats. Also 6'4 isn't necessarily undersized for the two-guard especially in Philly considering we started Iverson there for the majority of his career, the Sixers starting backcourt is actually taller than it was last year.

I have to ask, if you don't want him to start, who would you rather have starting at SG next to Iverson?

·
Registered
543 Posts

I have to ask, if you don't want him to start, who would you rather have starting at SG next to Iverson?
Is Iguodala not ready for big minutes or doesn't he fit at SG position?

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by <b>brazys</b>!
Is Iguodala not ready for big minutes or doesn't he fit at SG position?
He fits, but he's not one of those players who is ready to come into the league and start. The Sixers are looking for someone who can and is willing to score.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Andre Iguodala... AI 2.0
I figured that's what you'd say, Iggy's going to be great but he's just not ready yet. He's going to start out as a roleplayer and has to do something to earn more minutes.

He's not a scorer, and a lot of his points are going to be on the break. He can create for others, but he's not able to create for himself just yet. He's definitely a work in progress, I just wish more people realize that.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts

:|

Willie Green is AT LEAST an average player.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

What happened to Aaron McKie?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts