Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O'Brien is a very good coach, and his liking for veterans could help Orlando find the big men and point guard Orlando needs.

Well.. or maybe find the skill in Reece Gaines.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SKLB54</b>!
O'Brien is a very good coach, and his liking for veterans could help Orlando find the big men and point guard Orlando needs.

Well.. or maybe find the skill in Reece Gaines.
I wouldnt mind it. He could help where Orlando needs it the most, in defense. But I doubt Orlando drops Davis this season after already firing Doc. Could be a possibility after this season.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wasnt Davis hired as an Interim...? he knows his days are limited

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
wasnt Davis hired as an Interim...? he knows his days are limited
I dont think Interim is an official standing ... I believe, I think John Weisbrod, who is higher up in management has gone on record saying they will be staying with Davis. That doesnt really mean anything, but it does show he is not considered "interim" ... but if a big name coach were available, he'd be out .. but not this season. It would look bad on the organization to fire 2 coaches within a single season.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
What's the point of switching coaches? What was the point of switching Carlisle with Brown, because the Pistons are going to get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round, if not the same god damn eastern conference finals which Carlisle lead them to. What was the point of switching Butch Carter with Lenny Wilkens (even the greatest coach ever made a 2 win differential compared to Butch Carter's Raptor record in the previous season at the time). 99.9% of the coaching transactions simply had no change of effect on the team, except for the Bulls hiring Phil Jackson out of 999 other coaching transactions.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mattsanity</b>!
What's the point of switching coaches? What was the point of switching Carlisle with Brown, because the Pistons are going to get eliminated in the 1st or 2nd round, if not the same god damn eastern conference finals which Carlisle lead them to. What was the point of switching Butch Carter with Lenny Wilkens (even the greatest coach ever made a 2 win differential compared to Butch Carter's Raptor record in the previous season at the time). 99.9% of the coaching transactions simply had no change of effect on the team, except for the Bulls hiring Phil Jackson out of 999 other coaching transactions.
Well, I think the one place a coach can make a good deal of difference is in the playoffs. And that is probably what Detroit is hoping.

In Orlando's case, I think the team stopped listening to Doc. Even if Davis comes in and runs the exact same stuff, if they listen to him more than Doc, then you would assume the team would play better.

In New Jersey's case, Kidd didnt like Scott, so Scott gets the ax.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
He would be perfect for the team as long as he is a defensive coach or plans to becoming one.

He has experience leading Paul pierce and the celts to past the 1st round at least:) hehe..

he could help our players out alot and enforce stuff..hehe

·
Registered
8,236 Posts

Well.. <b>or maybe find the skill in Reece Gaines.</b>
If you think that Obie can teach a rook - you're sadly mistaken. That is one thing that Obie never figured out in his tenure with Boston.

If you want that kind of a coach - get Larry Brown or Hubie.

If you want a coach who knows HOW to win, I'd say go after Pop or Phil Jackson. :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want that kind of a coach - get Larry Brown or Hubie.

If you want a coach who knows HOW to win, I'd say go after Pop or Phil Jackson.[\QUOTE]

umm no offense, but all those coaches have jobs... i'm looking for the best available coach, and considering defense and veteran leadership are two major factors the Magic have to address, O'Brien looks like a fit.

As for Mattsanity's post, I completely disagree, a coach brings the vision of the basketball team, and i disagree that theyre arent many cases of this. Look at:

Byron Scott with the Nets, changed their entire offense, won 2 east champs

Tim Floyd in New Orleans, changed the entire offense.. top contender

Jim Bzeldik in Denver, brought the run it out always defense to the Nuggets, and it's made the Nuggets one of the top teams in the league

Scott Skiles in Chicago, may not be a success, yet, but he has scrapped the triangle offense and is starting the very successful Kirk Hinrich, who never played in Cartwrights system.

and even Larry Brown in Detroit, which you mentioned to be a frivolous coaching change, is actually a big upgrade where you can already see the changes made in Billups role, and Ben Wallace's offensive improvement.

Overall, IMO, the person calling the plays on the sideline is as important as the player shooting the ball. Want some more proof? Different sport, but it still applies:

Jon Gruden 2003

Now O'Brien might not be the perfect canidate for the job as I dont know how he'll feel about Drew Gooden, because TheRifleman is completely correct by saying O'Brien doesnt want/cant teach a young player how to play. But just a note about why I said "Or maybe find the skill in Reece Gaines", I only said that to dis Gaines, and not actually for O'Brien to teach Gaines. I know very well of O'Brien's faults, but I also know his positives.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, another note, I dont plan on the Magic firing Davis this year, I meant for O'Brien to come in next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts