Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
O'Brien Has Resigned

1510 the zone-- the team that carries the games on the radio-- is reporting this as a done deal. The Celtics have scheduled a press conference for 6:00 pm today.

My guess is that Harter will coach the team on an interim basis-- but who knows?

I wonder if this has something to do with Pitino's illness, and that O'Brien is going to take over at Kentucky.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Here's a quote:

"According to a league and a team source, O'Brien's decision came after a major argument over personnel and playing time issues with director of basketball operations Danny Ainge."

Well, I may have to side with Ainge on this one if it's what I think it is. OB's allotment of playing time has been very questionable. While I am appreciative of what OB has been able to do with the team in the past, the reluctance to develop players has been holding the team back. Let's see how the story develops.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Not really. When you give Walter McCarty 30+ minutes a game at power forward, and bury your promising young big men on the bench, something is wrong. When your team can't run a coherent fast break, something is wrong.

It drove me crazy. It probably drove Ainge crazy too.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
InsideHoops.com editor Jeff Lenchiner reports that the Boston Celtics are making a major announcement at 6pm ET. Lenchiner stresses that it is "MAJOR." Unofficially, it appears Celtics coach Jim O'Brien may be stepping down. Stay tuned.
One of my bosses, a Celtic fan, asked me earlier this morning, "so is Jim Obrien next?" :eek:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Not really. When you give Walter McCarty 30+ minutes a game at power forward, and bury your promising young big men on the bench, something is wrong. When your team can't run a coherent fast break, something is wrong.

It drove me crazy. It probably drove Ainge crazy too.

Yup and it was only evident that hunter was not going to get the playing time under obie but his game time play was showing he deserved it...

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
and the coaching carosel continues

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would be very surprised to actually see O'Brien step down.

Wow!!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
O'Brien

As much as I have respected what O'Brien has done to get the C's back into the playoffs the last two seasons perhaps this is a good thing.

Boston is never going to win a championship with Walter McCarty playing so many minutes at the power forward spot. I would love to see Walter coming off the bench and blasting in some timely threes and shutting down one of the other teams scorers (like he did against Iverson a couple of years ago). But he should never have the role that O'Brien has given him.

Can Boston win a championship with a power forward rotation of Brandon Hunter and Kendrick Perkins? Nobody knows how good these guys can be but so far they have impressed me.

I doubt it will happen but why not have Ainge coach out the remainder of the season? He did a great job in Phoenix.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Celts11</b>!
Who do you think will be our coach next season?
Danny Ainge? :grinning:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Originally posted by <b>voice of reality</b>!
frank johnson , westphal???
Westphal is a nice coach.

Jerry Sloan would be a dream coach (I can dream can't I).

What about Dennis Johnson or Dave Cowens coming back to Beantown?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bad Bartons</b>!

Jerry Sloan would be a dream coach (I can dream can't I).
IMHO (and I'm not alone in this) the two best coaches in the NBA right now are Jerry Sloan and Terry Porter. Alas, they are both working for other teams.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts