Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it appears he's been offered both the regular QO and a max QO deal. His options are basically take the 1-year QO, take the 5-year max, or go sign an offer sheet with another team (which the Bulls will match), which must be at least 5 years in length.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/report-chicago-bulls-give-jimmy-butler-max-offer-as-expected/

My question would be what team would be willing to tie up their cap space for a while with a 3-year offer, knowing the Bulls will match. Is the prospect of making him an UFA 3 years from now, rather than 5, enough to tempt anyone to do that? Won't teams have more immediate needs?

Should be interesting. I'm glad to see the Bulls actually taking the initiative rather than letting the market decide.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
So, it appears he's been offered both the regular QO and a max QO deal. His options are basically take the 1-year QO, take the 5-year max, or go sign an offer sheet with another team (which the Bulls will match), which must be at least 5 years in length.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/29/report-chicago-bulls-give-jimmy-butler-max-offer-as-expected/

My question would be what team would be willing to tie up their cap space for a while with a 3-year offer, knowing the Bulls will match. Is the prospect of making him an UFA 3 years from now, rather than 5, enough to tempt anyone to do that? Won't teams have more immediate needs?

Should be interesting. I'm glad to see the Bulls actually taking the initiative rather than letting the market decide.
if the bulls really took the initiative they would have given jimmy 4 ys 48 mil. before the season , which he gladly would have taken ....now they are basically going to be lucky if he takes 5 yrs 90 mil.

good for jimmy but not so great for the bulls bottom line and their ability to put talent around him.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
if the bulls really took the initiative they would have given jimmy 4 ys 48 mil. before the season , which he gladly would have taken ....now they are basically going to be lucky if he takes 5 yrs 90 mil.

good for jimmy but not so great for the bulls bottom line and their ability to put talent around him.
That would've been great in hindsight, but Jimmy's improvement the past season is almost unprecedented. I distinctly remember 1 year ago Bulls fans all over the place were wanting to trade Jimmy for an upgrade who could score, since he was an "offensive liability". $10M per year was more than fair at the time. Jimmy gambled on himself and won. I doubt the Bulls are complaining, though...I have no doubt they'll gladly pay Jimmy his worth this summer. The extra $3-5M per year saved would've been nice, but it's really not as much of a killer as in the past with the overall cap ceiling reportedly going up significantly over the next few years. We weren't going to have cap space anyways, all this does it force Reinsdorf into paying luxury tax, and I believe I heard he gave the green light to do so this summer since they were able to evade the repeater tax thanks to the Luol Deng trade.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
The consensus out there among the web is Jimmy will almost sure sign a 3-year max deal; I forget the exact number but probably around $15-16/year. He won't take the 5-year max of $90M because of how much the salary cap is expected to rise over the next few years. Unless he has some major drop off in production, he will be viewed as a 2-way player in the middle of his prime 3 years from now, so he is betting on his big career payday being 3 years from now, when he could make $20-25M+ per season from 2018-2023.

Jimmy would really have to despise playing for the Bulls to take the 1-year Qualifying Offer. That's a huge financial risk to take, and the cap isn't going to go up next year like it will 3 years from now.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
It doesn't matter who offers it, the Bulls will match it. One has to wonder if all this is really worth it at the end of the day. Jimmy wants to play for the Lakers and he wants a shorter deal, the Bulls aren't going to give him that and its probably going to cause some issues.

90 million commitment to a guy who has quickly turned into a guy who is having issues with the organization.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't matter who offers it, the Bulls will match it. One has to wonder if all this is really worth it at the end of the day. Jimmy wants to play for the Lakers and he wants a shorter deal, the Bulls aren't going to give him that and its probably going to cause some issues.

90 million commitment to a guy who has quickly turned into a guy who is having issues with the organization.

It actually does matter (and hugely so), if you are catching my point. If nobody offers Jimmy a three-year deal because they don't want their cap space tied up when they are certain the Bulls will simply match at the end of the waiting period, then Jimmy won't have the option of a three-year deal, and will be forced to choose between the one-year QO or a 5-year max.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Or not?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Bulls would rather him take the 5 year deal. They definitely don't want to offer him a short contact and they most certainly don't want to pay him super money in 2017.

I can't imagine jimmy taking a huge gamble again and going for the qo. I expect him to sign the max deal.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bulls would rather him take the 5 year deal. They definitely don't want to offer him a short contact and they most certainly don't want to pay him super money in 2017.

I can't imagine jimmy taking a huge gamble again and going for the qo. I expect him to sign the max deal.
Sounds like he may sign a 5-year deal, but the Bulls might let him have a player option for the last year. Fair.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Would love if Jimmy takes a 4-year max deal w/ 5th year option. Seems like a reasonable middle ground that works for both sides. But who am I to say.

·
Put some respeck on ma name!
30,063 Posts
Done deal apparently.

Brian Windhorst @WindhorstESPN

The Bulls and Jimmy Butler have agreed on a five-year, $90 million contract according to sources. 4m

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
This might turn out to be the fastest Bulls' off-season we've ever seen...

Re-sign Dunleavy & Butler on 1st day of free agency
Use lower level exception (3-yr, $10M) on ??? for backup PG
Re-sign E'Twaun Moore and ??? for 3rd string defensive C
(obviously need to figure out who our 2nd string PG and 3rd string C options are)

PG: Rose, ???, Hinrich
SG: Butler, Snell, Moore
SF: Dunleavy, McDermott
PF: Mirotic, Gibson, Portis
C: Gasol, Noah, ???

Obviously a trade could happen and I do think we are shopping one/both of Gibson and Noah, but Gibson just had surgery and Noah needs to prove he can bounce back a bit before we get any offers worth our time. My prediction is a consolidation trade happens mid-season near the trade deadline.

Then time to get to work with Coach Hoiberg. No distractions this summer, just hard work, get on the same page, build chemistry, and we'll be ready for a fun season.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
It still boggles my mind that Jimmy Buttler is going to make 19 million a year... But hey that's NBA contracts for ya. Great deal for Jimmy, ok deal for the Bulls. At least they don't lose him for nothing.

As much as I like Dunleavy, and its nice to see him come back, they just basically brought back the same team as last year. Only more expensive and older. I fail to see the big picture other than if it doesn't work in the next 2 years, they will blow this up and rebuild through the draft.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
It's true alot of the team is the same, but there is also a good deal of room for improvement internally. This being a team that won 50 games in spite of lazy inconsistent play most of the season and poor chemistry between coach, players, and front office. There seems to be a concerted effort to clean up those things and get everyone on the same page again. I'm not guaranteeing that will automatically happen, I'm just saying if it does, this team could be real good.

I basically see 3 ways this team gets better. One is what I said above with getting everyone on the same page. Secondly from the younger guys getting better and more experienced (Mirotic, McDermott, Snell, Portis). Third is from Rose and Noah, and to a lesser extent Taj, who were pretty terrible for alot of last season. Rose in particular is the one guy who can make all the difference, should he keep himself healthy. He has some solid momentum from a good playoff run where he played well, and is finally entering an off-season with some confidence and good health. I could see him having a nice bounce back year. Noah I'm not as sure about but I'll say this, he can't be a whole lot worse than what we witnessed in 2014-2015.

I should point out too that the Bulls really only have a 2-year window with this squad. Alot of our contracts expire in Summer 2017, then you have another NBA lockout looming. Things should become clear by that point on whether guys like Rose, Noah, Taj, etc., are worth bringing back to the post-lockout Bulls team in 2017-18. My bet is we have a mini-rebuild after the lockout while building around Butler, Mirotic, McDermott, Portis as the young core. Not really counting on Rose being here beyond 2017 necessarily unless he convinces us his game will age well and he can remain healthy.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I fail to see the big picture other than if it doesn't work in the next 2 years, they will blow this up and rebuild through the draft.
Honestly, I think that is the big picture, as far as the Bulls' FO is concerned, though I think they would move a big if they could. I'm not sure they can get the value they want, though, given the health status of Noah and Gibson, so rolling with the current squad is pretty much what I expect for the next season or two.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts