Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
If Butler continues playing like he did last season, he's worth it.

Has there been any indication that the Bulls are going to be bringing Noah off the bench or that Noah is at any way content with coming off the bench? Last year at this time he was the reigning all-NBA 1st team center.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
If Butler continues playing like he did last season, he's worth it.

Has there been any indication that the Bulls are going to be bringing Noah off the bench or that Noah is at any way content with coming off the bench? Last year at this time he was the reigning all-NBA 1st team center.
Nothing that I've seen either way.

Noah wants to win so I think it will be fine, but then again he will be a free agent and may want to showcase himself. So wouldn't surprise me if he is unhappy about a 20 min/game off the bench role.

The way I see it, Rose & Butler are the only guaranteed starting roles. The other 3 spots are up for grabs. Gasol obviously has the inner track for 1 of those spots but maybe Noah surprises us and gets himself right physically & mentally this summer. Either way I don't want to see Gasol & Noah on the court together much. And Mirotic should be starting PF regardless, IMO.

My preferred lineups:
Starters -- Rose, Butler, Snell, Mirotic, Gasol
Bench -- FA signing, Dunleavy, McDermott, Gibson, Noah
3rd string -- Hinrich, Moore, Portis, Vet min signing

I think Hoiberg should (and will) use a consistent 10-man rotation that keeps the starters to 28-32 minutes per game, and runs the 2nd unit guys 16-20 minutes per game.

Also given the likelihood of Gibson, Noah, or Gasol getting injured at some point, I see some good opportunities opening up for Bobby Portis to step into the 2nd unit for 16-20 minutes on a semi-frequent basis.

This is how I see it playing out to start the season, however I do forecast a trade deadline move, swapping one of our bigs + one of our role player wings for a big upgrade at starting SG/SF to play alongside Jimmy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think its going to be real tough from a locker room management standpoint to just bench Noah. If he's healthy, he's going to start, IMO. Unless he's just ready to call it a career and doesn't care about his next contract.

Its the same logjam as last year, IMO. 4 guys at the 4/5 that all deserve to play. Sure, it will be cleared up a bit when someone gets hurt, but when all are healthy, people will be complaining about minutes yet again. Which gets old.

I also don't see Dunleavy coming back here to come off the bench. And, he was the best player out of Snell, Dunleavy, McDermott, so I think he'll keep his spot.

But, you never know. New coach, new way of doing things. Tough thing to do to start out is to piss off some of the established vets though. There really isn't much to be gained from that.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Nothing that I've seen either way.

Noah wants to win so I think it will be fine, but then again he will be a free agent and may want to showcase himself. So wouldn't surprise me if he is unhappy about a 20 min/game off the bench role.

The way I see it, Rose & Butler are the only guaranteed starting roles. The other 3 spots are up for grabs. Gasol obviously has the inner track for 1 of those spots but maybe Noah surprises us and gets himself right physically & mentally this summer. Either way I don't want to see Gasol & Noah on the court together much. And Mirotic should be starting PF regardless, IMO.

My preferred lineups:
Starters -- Rose, Butler, Snell, Mirotic, Gasol
Bench -- FA signing, Dunleavy, McDermott, Gibson, Noah
3rd string -- Hinrich, Moore, Portis, Vet min signing

I think Hoiberg should (and will) use a consistent 10-man rotation that keeps the starters to 28-32 minutes per game, and runs the 2nd unit guys 16-20 minutes per game.

Also given the likelihood of Gibson, Noah, or Gasol getting injured at some point, I see some good opportunities opening up for Bobby Portis to step into the 2nd unit for 16-20 minutes on a semi-frequent basis.

This is how I see it playing out to start the season, however I do forecast a trade deadline move, swapping one of our bigs + one of our role player wings for a big upgrade at starting SG/SF to play alongside Jimmy.
The problem with starting Rose, Butler, Snell, Mirotic and Gasol is that we will have little interior defense. While I hope Mirotic shows some real improvement on defense after the off season, until then I think either Gibson or Noah needs to be in the lineup to give the Bulls some defense in the paint.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The problem with starting Rose, Butler, Snell, Mirotic and Gasol is that we will have little interior defense. While I hope Mirotic shows some real improvement on defense after the off season, until then I think either Gibson or Noah needs to be in the lineup to give the Bulls some defense in the paint.
I agree. You still have to play D.

Some folks advocate for Rose/Butler/McDermott/Mirotic/Gasol.

It going to be tough to stop anyone with that lineup.

And any interior D is pretty much out the window with Mirotic / Gasol.

The logjam at the 4/5 isn't going to be solved with a coaching change.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
IMO...Mirotic & Gasol will be fine as starters together. They play a fair # of minutes together last year and looked good most of the time; better than Noah/Gasol from what I recall. I qualify that with 2 things...first, I do not advocate them to close out games together necessarily or even playing long extended minutes together. Remember Hoiberg is probably going to run out a deeper rotation than Thibs which means Gasol & Mirotic may only play 28-30 min/game each. If we're getting slaughtered at the rim to start a game, all Hoiberg has to do is sub in the Noah or Taj, or even Portis, in place of Gasol or Mirotic (depending on nature of the problem). Problem solved.

Second, I believe it works best when pairing Jimmy & Snell together on the perimeter who are both good at pressuring the ball and staving off penetration.

Hoiberg values offensive rhythm alot more than Thibodeau, and will also push to increase the pace we played at last year. I don't know how you accomplish that with Noah at PF (who is too slow nowadays for PF), or Taj who is the worst big man passer on our team and a bit of a black hole on offense, not to mention coming off a major surgery on his ankle. Quite simply you get the best combination of speed, passing, shooting, off the dribble shot creation, and even defense when you run out Rose-Butler-Snell-Mirotic together. I guess you could put Noah in there at center instead of Gasol and could feast on offensive rebounds, but I feel that Noah will kill our spacing and I really don't want him playing more minutes than Gasol. 20 minutes per game for Noah until he proves he deserves otherwise.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I agree. You still have to play D.

Some folks advocate for Rose/Butler/McDermott/Mirotic/Gasol.

It going to be tough to stop anyone with that lineup.

And any interior D is pretty much out the window with Mirotic / Gasol.

The logjam at the 4/5 isn't going to be solved with a coaching change.
I definitely do not advocate for McDermott to start yet. One step at a time. He is likely going to play alot more for Hoiberg but he has a long ways to go before proving he should start above Dunleavy or even Snell. Guy still needs to gain alot of confidence and can do that best in a consistent 6th-8th man role for 20 minutes a game. I agree McDermott combined with the Mirotic/Gasol frontourt would be the straw that breaks the camel's back defensively. Having Snell there makes all the difference thanks to his length and ability to pressure the ball well and cover ground. Snell can also run the break, handle the ball, and facilitate ball movement better than McDermott. I see Snell flourishing as a role player in Hoiberg's system this year. If you need offensive punch off the bench, then you call McDermott's number in place of Snell.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I think its going to be real tough from a locker room management standpoint to just bench Noah. If he's healthy, he's going to start, IMO. Unless he's just ready to call it a career and doesn't care about his next contract.

Its the same logjam as last year, IMO. 4 guys at the 4/5 that all deserve to play. Sure, it will be cleared up a bit when someone gets hurt, but when all are healthy, people will be complaining about minutes yet again. Which gets old.

I also don't see Dunleavy coming back here to come off the bench. And, he was the best player out of Snell, Dunleavy, McDermott, so I think he'll keep his spot.

But, you never know. New coach, new way of doing things. Tough thing to do to start out is to piss off some of the established vets though. There really isn't much to be gained from that.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Hoiberg will undoubtedly have a different rotation and will likely not play certain guys the same huge minutes Thibs did, but the roster is what it is, and there is a logjam at the 4/5 of pieces that are individually good but don't necessarily mesh that well together.

It's hard to tell your DPOY, 1st Team All-NBA center that he's going to be riding the pine because he had a down year last year, even if it might be the right call. Similarly, you're not going to tell Pau, who is coming off a year with very high productivity, that he's now a bench player. My guess is these two continue to start, but Hoiberg tries to separate them more as the game progresses.

I am less convinced that Dunleavy will get a starting slot due to veteran entitlement, but if last year is any indication, he'll probably just be the best option at that spot.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
I pretty much agree with all of this. Hoiberg will undoubtedly have a different rotation and will likely not play certain guys the same huge minutes Thibs did, but the roster is what it is, and there is a logjam at the 4/5 of pieces that are individually good but don't necessarily mesh that well together.

It's hard to tell your DPOY, 1st Team All-NBA center that he's going to be riding the pine because he had a down year last year, even if it might be the right call. Similarly, you're not going to tell Pau, who is coming off a year with very high productivity, that he's now a bench player. My guess is these two continue to start, but Hoiberg tries to separate them more as the game progresses.

I am less convinced that Dunleavy will get a starting slot due to veteran entitlement, but if last year is any indication, he'll probably just be the best option at that spot.
I agree Noah/Gasol starting is most likely outcome for the reasons you stated. Just not the best outcome in terms of the most effective starting lineup, which is disappointing. But I do think the front office will be aiming for a mid-season trade to clean up the log jam. Just unlikely to happen this summer b/c Noah's value is low and Gibson just had surgery.

Re: Dunleavy, keep in mind he and Snell were not far off from each other production wise. Snell had a PER of 10, Dunleavy PER of 11, and that was in spite of a terrible 1st half of the season for Snell. Snell is getting better while
Dunleavy is getting older, and Hoiberg's style can only help Snell. The thing that will kill Snell's chances is if he starts the season ice-cold from 3-pt range.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Snell is getting better while
Dunleavy is getting older, and Hoiberg's style can only help Snell. The thing that will kill Snell's chances is if he starts the season ice-cold from 3-pt range.
The thing is Dunleavy is the three point shooting.

He was easily our best volume three point shooter last year and 14th in the NBA. If Rose and Noah/Gasol are out on the floor, we need him.

Some think that Mirotic at the 4 helps with this problem. But, if last year is any indicator, Mirotic isn't a very good three point shooter.

Dunleavy might get much worse due to his age, but let's hope not, since the front office just signed him to a 3 year contract.

I found that very curious given that many thought that the front office was steamed at Thibs for not playing McDermott more. It seems they locked in a productive vet ahead of him now on a longer term deal.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Dunleavy is cool with a bench role, though. That is basically what he signed up for 2 years ago when Luol Deng was here.

Dunleavy is definitely the Bulls' most consistent 3-pt shooter but Snell can be a good shooter too. That is why I say Snell's ability to start is 100% dependent on him improving his shooting consistency and confidence. He's flashed it and shot a very respectable 37% last year from 3-pt range.

Mirotic I am not worried about (yet). Alot of rookies need time to adjust to NBA 3-pt range. I can name countless examples of good, even great 3-pt shooters, who just didn't have a high 3-pt shooting percentage their rookie year. I'll be more concerned if he fails to improve his 2nd year and/or flattens out at 33% in his 3rd season (league average is 35% so hopefully he's at least that).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Dunleavy is cool with a bench role, though. That is basically what he signed up for 2 years ago when Luol Deng was here.
That's a good point and true.

There is a difference though between being content coming off the bench for an all-star level player like Deng and coming off the bench for a guy like McDermott who put up a PER of 6 last season.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
That's a good point and true.

There is a difference though between being content coming off the bench for an all-star level player like Deng and coming off the bench for a guy like McDermott who put up a PER of 6 last season.
I hope McDermott doesn't start yet. He needs to play alot more this year but starting is too much too fast. He first needs to just find a niche as a scorer/shooter, which builds from his strengths. My suggestion is more Snell to start over both McD and Dunleavy. Snell has enough of an overall game where he is unlikely to be severely exposed in any one area; even if he isn't elite in any one area. Dunleavy is solid, though I do worry with his age he'll start to have more games where he is just a step too slow to play the style we want, making a bench role more appropriate.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My suggestion is more Snell to start over both McD and Dunleavy. Snell has enough of an overall game where he is unlikely to be severely exposed in any one area; even if he isn't elite in any one area.
Like I think you posted previously, this would work if Snell could shoot the three consistently.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Like I think you posted previously, this would work if Snell could shoot the three consistently.
Snell shooting 37% on 3-pointers last year gives me hope. That and his soft high arcing shot that in spite of looking odd, seems to come off his hand identically each and every time. 37% would be good enough, IMO. Even better if he can get more like 38-40% with around 4 attempts per game from deep. Add in a few drives and fast break opps and he'll be at 8-12 ppg in 20-something minutes a night. Throw in some good defense and ball movement and that is quality production from a role-playing starter. Danny Green territory. If he pulls that off, Snell has earned his draft spot easily. I'd gladly retract my belief that we should've drafted Gorgui Dieng instead of Snell.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts