Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
It certainly isn't too late, and I personally would give him the vote if he can keep those averages up through the last three months of the season. Maybe Randolph would be more deserving, but I honestly completely expected this from him -- it's easier to vote for some that really surprises you.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Since the trade

With the flu game 22.4ppg 5.4rpg 5.3apg 52%FG
Without the flu game 23.6ppg 5.6rpg 5.3apg 53%FG

It would even be fair to exclude the first game against Chicago ,which was only hours after the trade and a 7 or 8 man active roster, which would improve the FG% and ppg.

Last 3 games
29ppg 6rpg 7apg

Those numbers are all-nba first team worthy.

For the season he is averaging 16ppg 4.5rpg 4apg 43%FG now.

If he keeps it up I think he should win it. Randolph is the favorite to win it but most NBA observers expected this from Randolph while JJ only had a few supporters like myself.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
If he maintains this, it will be close. Everyone knew Randolph could play if given minutes, but I don't know who knew JJ would play like this w/out Steph and Penny.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
JJ is the man. Doesnt force anything anymore, lets the game come to him and shoots a good percentage lately which reflects on his shot selection.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
He's not burning from three, but 9 dimes, then 10 dimes a little later along with the scoring and ogod overall FG%. That's great.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Don'tjackthethreeup</b>!
Is it to late for him to win MIP for this season?
For Jan he avg
20.9ppg 5rpg 4.7apg and .474% for the floor. he only 22.
He should get some consideration. However, I think the runaway leader right now is Zach Randolph. Let's take a look at the numbers:

Joe Johnson

02-03 9.8 ppg 3.2 reb/gm 2.6 assists/gm .23 blocks/gm
03-04 15.8 ppg 4.5 reb/gm 4.0 assists/gm .32 blocks/gm

Zach Randolph

02-03 8.4 ppg 4.5 reb/gm .5 assists/gm .18 blocks/gm
03-04 21.5 ppg 11.0 reb/gm 2.3 assists/gm .52 blocks/gm

I realize these are only a few stats but it really shows something. Plus, Zach is in the top 20 in over 20 different categories in the NBA...go look at NBA.com.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
It will be very close, but I think that Rabdolph will get the nod for MIP.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Ahem...

Kwame Brown:basket: :headbang:

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Re: Ahem...

Originally posted by <b>adarsh1</b>!
Kwame Brown:basket: :headbang:
That'd be nice :wiz: I think if he keeps things up he should get a couple of votes, but he's pretty well behind both of these two.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
If he keeps up his current pace he will end up averaging

49%FG 19ppg 5+rpg ~5apg for the season.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Re: Re: Joe Johnson

Originally posted by <b>antibody</b>!
I realize these are only a few stats but it really shows something. Plus, Zach is in the top 20 in over 20 different categories in the NBA...go look at NBA.com.
Yes, Zach is top 20 in a lot of catergories, but 3 of them have to do with turnovers. Looking at those top 20 stats on NBA.com needs a closer look than just counting how many there are.

That said, Zach should still win it. He has gone from worse stats than Johnson last year, to better ones this year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is Joe Johnson going to turn into somewhat like T-Mac, Paul Pierce, Kobe and James. I know he isn't as great of a scorer like them but the rest of his game in trem of assist and rebounding he right up there with them. I guess i would put him right there with Maggette, Richardson, Q, Wade for now. Dammm there is alot of good SG/SF in this leauge right now.

Group 1
Kobe
Pierce
T-Mac
James

Group 2
MAggette
Richardson
Wade
Joe Johnson

I know i'm missing some player but these are the player I can think of right now that can score and also get rebounds and assists

·
Registered
304 Posts
Joe Johnson has been surprising the whole league, especially the suns management, a pleasant surprise! he is showing promises of becoming a multi-talented guard...i.e. paul pierce. Although I wouldn´t go far enough to say he´s a candidate for MIP. Obviously not too late, but you can´t use the sample of 3-4 games and say he´s averaging 29ppg in that stretch...Unless something really goes wrong with Z.Randolph I don´t see anyone else getting MIP this year. The man is damn too good, on the offensive end, to be notg iven the award. He is already robbed a berth on the ASG...lets keep fingers crossed and hope that johnson keeps up the good work, he might be one of the positive outcomes of the marbury trade down the road!

·
"True Story"
1,330 Posts
I highly doubt Joe will win the award this year. I'm pretty sure it's going to be between Zach Randolph, Andrei Kirilenko and Michael Redd (even though Randolph and Redd didn't just break out this year).

Joe Johnson will most likely be one of the top candidates for the MIP next season.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Quentin Richardson? That's quite an insult.

Q-Rich was the player Joe Johnson was compared to a lot due to his inconsistency before the Marbury trade.

Q-Rich is a really really inconsistant player.

Jason Richardson isn't as complete or good
Wade is in the same league right now based on season stats, Magette is somewhere between.
Better based on season stats, worse based on what Johnson is doing right now.

23ppg 5.5rpg 5apg 53%FG looks better to me than what TMac, Pierce, Kobe and James are putting up this year. Look at the difference in FG%, it is almost 10%.
I am not saying Joe Johnson is better than any of them because he is averaging that only since Marbury is gone and not for a full season but I would consider him a much better defender than James and McGrady, a better defender than Pierce and the same or slightly better than Kobe.
His defense is almost Artest-like without all the crazy stuff.

I am not sure which category to put him.

If he keeps it up for the entire season he is in the first group probably, based on the season so far probably with Sprewell, Finley, Magette.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Originally posted by <b>panthera_pardus</b>!
Joe Johnson has been surprising the whole league, especially the suns management, a pleasant surprise! he is showing promises of becoming a multi-talented guard...i.e. paul pierce. Although I wouldn´t go far enough to say he´s a candidate for MIP. Obviously not too late, but you can´t use the sample of 3-4 games and say he´s averaging 29ppg in that stretch...Unless something really goes wrong with Z.Randolph I don´t see anyone else getting MIP this year. The man is damn too good, on the offensive end, to be notg iven the award. He is already robbed a berth on the ASG...lets keep fingers crossed and hope that johnson keeps up the good work, he might be one of the positive outcomes of the marbury trade down the road!
It is not 3-4 games.

It is pretty much every game since Marbury gone and that is 16.
Over those games he is averaging 23,5.5,5 53%.

27pts 8reb 10ast
31pts 5reb 3ast
28pts 5reb 9ast
23pts 4reb 2ast - against Artest
20pts 4reb 7ast - against Diaw
22pts 6reb 5ast - against Sprewell
16pts 8reb 1ast - against Bowen
28pts 2reb 5ast
26pts 10reb 3ast
25pts 5reb 1ast
26pts 3reb 7ast
20pts 3reb 7ast
(4pts 2reb 6ast - played with the flu)
23pts 6reb 6ast - against Christie
25pts 8reb 7ast - against Redd
18pts 8reb 5ast

As you can see he scored more than 20 points 11 times out of the last 12. With a 16pt game against Bruce Bowen.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rockstone</b>!
I highly doubt Joe will win the award this year. I'm pretty sure it's going to be between Zach Randolph, Andrei Kirilenko and Michael Redd (even though Randolph and Redd didn't just break out this year).
I don't think Kirilenko could really be said to have come outta no where. he was a productive player for the Jazz before. He has just had his fair share of looks this season.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Rockstone</b>!

Joe Johnson will most likely be one of the top candidates for the MIP next season.
At the current pace he will finish the season at close to 20/5/5 on 50%FG.

I don't see how much he could improve to win the award next season.
He would have to win MVP as well or something.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.