Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Ah. In that case, I like this kid and hope he can have a long, healthy career....unless he goes to the Lakers. In which case, I hope he never plays in an NBA Game lol

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Most of the teams that are picking in the top ten are so bad that it is not as big of a deal if he missed the season. It's not what you want, but when you think about it if a guy is good enough he immediately makes you mediocre and then you have a heck of a time getting a good running mate for him. Embiid was a project to start with and now it's just a project with a longer timeline and less pressure on him.

Now the fans aren't going to be buying that however. They're going to want the guy who puts on your jersey and immediately turns you into a fifty win team, even if there's no one remotely like that in a draft.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Most of the teams that are picking in the top ten are so bad that it is not as big of a deal if he missed the season. It's not what you want, but when you think about it if a guy is good enough he immediately makes you mediocre and then you have a heck of a time getting a good running mate for him. Embiid was a project to start with and now it's just a project with a longer timeline and less pressure on him.

Now the fans aren't going to be buying that however. They're going to want the guy who puts on your jersey and immediately turns you into a fifty win team, even if there's no one remotely like that in a draft.
Well, this is just me, but I'd want the guy who didn't just have a major back injury, and followed it up with a major foot injury from only doing a workout for Cleveland.

That's what I'd want.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
This is a risk reward analysis at this point. You have to figure out where it makes sense for you to bet on Embiid. If there's Parker, Exum or Wiggins on the board, then it's obvious that you have to take one of those guys. After that you are not dealing with the sorts of players you are going to be unable to pass up.

I don't like Embiid in the top three spots at all, I never have. I want to see players play and he's got like 400 minutes of college level competition. This injury is pretty worrisome, but at some point he's going to be worth gambling on. You can't ignore the chance that he might be great. The question is where you can take him without being too big of a fool if he is a bust.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
This is a risk reward analysis at this point. You have to figure out where it makes sense for you to bet on Embiid. If there's Parker, Exum or Wiggins on the board, then it's obvious that you have to take one of those guys. After that you are not dealing with the sorts of players you are going to be unable to pass up.

I don't like Embiid in the top three spots at all, I never have. I want to see players play and he's got like 400 minutes of college level competition. This injury is pretty worrisome, but at some point he's going to be worth gambling on. You can't ignore the chance that he might be great. The question is where you can take him without being too big of a fool if he is a bust.
Fair enough.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Doesn't seem that unlikely they'd do a foot procedure with only a local anesthetic.
Yep. I think people are confusing "being awake" with doing it without any pain anesthetic.

"Now we're going to give you this for the pain Joel." doctors
"**** that! Give me a stick and jam it between my teeth. I"m doing this natural." Lion Killer.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
So then the question is... if Wiggins is gone... do they just take Exum? I don't see Parker landing on the Bucks.
I do. Hes been compared to Big Dog a lot. If you put him at the 3 and assume Giannis can play the 2, that's a nice pair to build around.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
I do. Hes been compared to Big Dog a lot. If you put him at the 3 and assume Giannis can play the 2, that's a nice pair to build around.
The Greek Freak is 6'9.5". If Parker goes to the Bucks, those two would fill the 3/4 spots, not the 2/3.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
The Greek Freak is 6'9.5". If Parker goes to the Bucks, those two would fill the 3/4 spots, not the 2/3.
Make sense. I'm just leery of Parker at the 4. Unless you mean Giannis there, but hes a little thin for that role.

You're right though. Putting him at the 2 would probably be similar to when George played there. Sure it can be done, but hes much more suited for the 3.

With how teams are small balling it so much these days, I guess Parker at the 4 would work in most situations.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Make sense. I'm just leery of Parker at the 4. Unless you mean Giannis there, but hes a little thin for that role.

You're right though. Putting him at the 2 would probably be similar to when George played there. Sure it can be done, but hes much more suited for the 3.

With how teams are small balling it so much these days, I guess Parker at the 4 would work in most situations.
But I don't Exum/Knight/Freak/Henson/Sanders is a bad core group if all come close to reaching their potential.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
But I don't Exum/Knight/Freak/Henson/Sanders is a bad core group if all come close to reaching their potential.
Agreed. I just think in this draft teams will be too afraid to waver from Wiggins and Parker as the top 2. Although I guess we'll find out soon enough.

If you draft Parker you take the safe route as a GM and save yourself from any criticism. If you draft Exum, you immediately get reminded anytime Parker has a good game and Exum underwhelms. You basically end up having to prove Exum is better or else its seen as a failed pick.

I'd say 9 out of 10 GM's take the safe route in that scenario.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
I would be stunned if the Bucks took Exum..if Wiggins is gone Parker will be the pick. The Bucks need instant star power.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
I can't imagine Cleveland passing on Parker now that Embiid is injured. They can't miss on another #1 pick. If they take Wiggins and he turns out to be more Stacy Augmon than T-Mac they're ****ed (again).

81 - 100 of 106 Posts