Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming Joel plays similar to last season AND he takes a one year tender from us (to gain Bird Rights), what do you realistically see Paul paying him? Also, how much do YOU think he is worth?

Keep in mind, these two are completly different questions and should have different answers, IMO.

I'm trying to gauge whether or not we will be stuck long term with a huge contract. Paul might want to give Joel a little extra dough for being loyal but I have my qualms regarding whether he is worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love his game and the effort he puts out. Joel just seems like a guy who is probably going to be vastly overpaid because of two reasons, should he decide to stay in Portland. 1) He is seven feet tall, 2) Paul will more then likely reward him for his loyalty. Now, he is certaintly no Jerome James but Portland needs to be careful with how much it rewards him for that loyalty and his size...staying close to the market value for a similar 7 foot player with comparable stats and age. Any comparisons of NBA players currently under a non-rookie contract who bring similar qualities to the table as Joel? I'm too lazy to look it up right now.

·
Registered
910 Posts
as of right now, i wouldnt give him more then the vetran minimum. we don't need another high priced center who puts up lousy number ala theo ratliff or dale davis.

·
Registered
910 Posts
RoseCity said:
Assuming Joel plays similar to last season AND he takes a one year tender from us (to gain Bird Rights), what do you realistically see Paul paying him? Also, how much do YOU think he is worth?

Keep in mind, these two are completly different questions and should have different answers, IMO.

I'm trying to gauge whether or not we will be stuck long term with a huge contract. Paul might want to give Joel a little extra dough for being loyal but I have my qualms regarding whether he is worth it. Don't get me wrong, I love his game and the effort he puts out. Joel just seems like a guy who is probably going to be vastly overpaid because of two reasons, should he decide to stay in Portland. 1) He is seven feet tall, 2) Paul will more then likely reward him for his loyalty. Now, he is certaintly no Jerome James but Portland needs to be careful with how much it rewards him for that loyalty and his size...staying close to the market value for a similar 7 foot player with comparable stats and age. Any comparisons of NBA players currently under a non-rookie contract who bring similar qualities to the table as Joel? I'm too lazy to look it up right now.
theres no such thing as loyalty in the nba. and with the numbers he is putting up, i doubt he will get paid all that much.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I think he is just starting off rusty and will be pulling down 10 points, 10 rebounds, 2 blocks and some all around great D before long. If I am right, then I think he is worth about 7.5 mil average and will be paid closer to 9 if he does the one year thingy. I think that it's very likely that in 3 yers he will be widely considered a top 10 Center in the NBA and perhaps a top 5. I might be a homer, but I do not see Randolf, Telfair, Outlaw or Miles being widely considered top 10 anytime soon. Well, perhaps Randolph, though in my mind his D needs much improvement to deserve such recognition.

·
Registered
981 Posts
If Joel plays at the level he did at the end of last season, I think he'll command around 7-9 mil/yr. I would be comfortable with a contract of 40mil for 5 years for Joel. He's only 26, is a good rebounder and a solid defender. His offense looks to bit a little better too. He's not starting off the season very well, but I hope/think he'll come around.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I don't think they're going to do a 1 year with a wink type deal after that. I expect we'll either sign him to an MLE deal with max raises for as long as humanly possible or he'll leave for more money else where. It's just too risky for the both of us to do a 1 year deal.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Joel was playing at his best when Zach was out or hobbled because of his knee. There's only so many rebounds to go around, and only so many putbacks to field. With Zach back to full strength, we may see Joel's numbers slide simply because Zach's getting these opportunities first.

Personally, I'd be running Przy at backup PF, and starting Theo, with Ha and Przy playing backup C. Ruben again is the lost man here, but I think Joel can give us a presence similar to Zach in important areas like rebounding and offensive putbacks. Or, heck, run Theo as backup PF. Anyone but Ruben.

As a starting center with Zach in the lineup, Joel won't look nearly as good as starting center with someone like Viktor or SAR starting at PF.

·
Registered
99 Posts
BlazerCaravan said:
Joel was playing at his best when Zach was out or hobbled because of his knee. There's only so many rebounds to go around, and only so many putbacks to field. With Zach back to full strength, we may see Joel's numbers slide simply because Zach's getting these opportunities first.

Personally, I'd be running Przy at backup PF, and starting Theo, with Ha and Przy playing backup C. Ruben again is the lost man here, but I think Joel can give us a presence similar to Zach in important areas like rebounding and offensive putbacks. Or, heck, run Theo as backup PF. Anyone but Ruben.

As a starting center with Zach in the lineup, Joel won't look nearly as good as starting center with someone like Viktor or SAR starting at PF.
Yep, I think you're right on the money as to why his numbers have slipped. But I think Joel will be more effective when he gets more used to playing alongside Zbo.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Joel was also doing a lot of damage when he was paired up with Ratliff in the front court. I can see the point you're making, BlazerCaravan and it's something that will probably affect the kinds of offers he'll get after this year.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
i agree blazer freak

·
Registered
229 Posts
Can anybody help me with this matter - what's wrong with Przybilla :confused:

He is playing like his old good days in Milwaukee...

Has he got in somebody doghouse or sth? Is he distracted on the court? I have no possibility to see Blazers' games and his current stats are making me very confused...

IMO if he is goinig to play like now, there's no way he'll get anything above MLE...

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
With 2 scorers like Z-bo and Miles in the lineup he's not gonna get alot of points or boards because Z-bo is getting the majority of them.Im not worried about Zilla before Z-bo and Miles were scorers Zilla had to score and rebound and block alot more then he does.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I think Joel is just out there playing his role. He is there for defense, which he is bringing, passing in the team's offense, setting screens...etc etc.... He will get some garbage points and an occasional rebound. But, honestly with the players he is out there with, we don't need Joel to be a scorer. Zach has a superior post game, and Darius has done well in the post as well. I wouldn't mind seeing Joel bring a little more aggression on the defensive boards....but, so far we have fared fairly well in rebounding. Generally speaking though, I think Nate has asked Joel to be a role player and facilitator out there, and he is doing it.

Prunetang

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I think the question of why Przybilla's numbers are down was answered quite well in BlazerCaravan's post. Randolph's return has meant not so many rebounds to go around. We're also talking about a miniscule sample size - the Blazers have only played five games! At least two of those, Przybilla was in foul trouble and thus didn't have the playing time to do better.

The other important factor is that Theo Ratliff is healthy. That means fewer minutes for Przybilla, as well. Whether Theo is better than Joel is a question worth debating (I'd say they're roughly equivalent), and as to whether Theo might be getting playing time because he's being shopped for a trade is not out of the question (though I doubt that's happening).

As for his value? I think what we're seeing now, and saw last season, is close to the best we're likely to get. As someone else said, that means 8-12 ppg, 8-10 rebounds, and a blocked shot or two, as well as strong defense, with 4-5 hard fouls. I think that's worth about $7-8 mil after the one-year tender. I bet he'll get a five-year deal, starting at 8 mil, going up to 10 or more (at which point he'll be 30-31, and will probably be overpaid).

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I think "pick and roll Joel" did very well with Damon on the pick and rolls

If Bassy and Jarrett realize how good Joel is with it. He may benefit more from it. Joel does pretty darn well on those.

Nate needs to look at last springs games more. (And look at Victor as well)

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Thorgal said:
Can anybody help me with this matter - what's wrong with Przybilla :confused:

He is playing like his old good days in Milwaukee...

Has he got in somebody doghouse or sth? Is he distracted on the court? I have no possibility to see Blazers' games and his current stats are making me very confused...

IMO if he is goinig to play like now, there's no way he'll get anything above MLE...
What's wrong with his stats?

With limited minutes due to 2 games of foul trouble, he is 10th in the NBA in Tendex per 48.

http://www.dougstats.com/05-06Tendex.html

Give him a chance to figure out how he fits with Zach and Darius - last season he was playing with SAR - give him a chance to get better luck with the refs and build up his minutes - give him a chance to throw up a couple of monster stat games, which he will from time to time, and watch him climb the stat board even further.

And besides, if he continues to pass the ball within the offense like he has, and continues to set those wicked picks, and continues to play solid post defense, none of which show up in stats, he will be one of the most popular Blazers with the other players and the coaches.

Actually, the further away Joel is from averaging 10 & 10 the more likely it is the Blazers will get to keep him with the MLE next summer. I hope Theo stays healthy all year. I hope Zach stays healthy all year. I hope the two of them steal minutes and points and rebounds (glory stats) from Joels numbers. At least for this season anyway.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
RoseCity said:

One answer here.

He's worth every penny Paul is willing to pay him at the time.

I assume it will be double-digits.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thx for your reply, guys. It's good to hear that Pryz is doing a good job out there.

Still, I do hope that he can be more productive. He showed last season that with his rebounding and defense he can dominate the game.

To be honest I was projecting sth like: 9ppg, 11rpg, 3bpg :rolleyes:

But you are absolutely right - the better he plays, the slimmer chances are that he's going to be a Blazer by this time next year.

Masbee said:
What's wrong with his stats?

With limited minutes due to 2 games of foul trouble, he is 10th in the NBA in Tendex per 48.

http://www.dougstats.com/05-06Tendex.html
Well, actually he's NOT 10th in the NBA in Tendex per 48
He's more like 10th center in the NBA in Tendex per 48, which - assuming he is ahead of such guys like Primoz Brezec, Erick Dampier, Eddy Curry, Reaf Lafrentz etc - is not telling much :razz:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts