Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

john Nash to be on live at 1:30 on oregonain live chat(special edition)

599 views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mook 
#1 ·
send your qusetions..start time 1;30 pacific

#2 ·
my question:

Is there anyway you can broadcast the game Thursday night for all of us fans?

I am so looking forward to seeing SAR and Ratliff introduced to the Portland crowd. It will be exciting to watch.

KGW? or Fox Sports???

#3 ·
I'll be there with this question:

There's been a lot of talk about the Blazers having enough cap space to make a splash in the FA market of 2005. But unless the team is able to trade Ruben Patterson or Derek Anderson - or both of them - for a shorter contract, the only way that the team will have this kind of cap room will be to let both Ratliff and Abdur-Rahim walk away as free agents themselves.

Is this the plan? Is the franchise committed to having significant cap space in 2005 at any cost? Or is there a chance that the team will retain one or both of the new players next summer at the cost of not being able to sign any maximum salary free agents?

#4 ·
HH Salaries

I am not following you there SCBF

I know you have more accurate numbers than HH... but they start at $16 mil, with Damon, DD, Ratliff and SAR off the books...

even if we add SAR and Ratliff back into it.. say $16 mil for both.. that is $32 mil... still room left...

add in Miles for $4-5 mil

ZR, DA and Ruben are still on the books as a qualifying offer...

seems to me we have room to sign some FA's

#5 ·
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
HH Salaries

I am not following you there SCBF

I know you have more accurate numbers than HH... but they start at $16 mil, with Damon, DD, Ratliff and SAR off the books...

even if we add SAR and Ratliff back into it.. say $16 mil for both.. that is $32 mil... still room left...

add in Miles for $4-5 mil

ZR, DA and Ruben are still on the books as a qualifying offer...

seems to me we have room to sign some FA's
I'm going off the assumption that the salary cap will be set at just over $46 million in July of 2005 (my assumption is $46.17 million).

Portland will have on the books:

Anderson - $9.09 million
Patterson - $6.35 million
Woods - $1.80 million
Dickau - $1.61 million
Outlaw - $1.08 million
Portland's 2004 1st round pick - $1.59 million [assuming a #14 pick]
Memphis' 2004 1st round pick - $1.19 million [assuming a #20 pick]
Portland's 2005 1st round pick -$1.15 million [assuming a #20 pick]

That's $23.86 million for 8 players. Randolph will count $5.40 million against the cap as a RFA. That's $29.26 million for 9 players.

If Portland renounces everyone else, they'd also get charged 2 minimum rookie contract amounts because of having less than 11 players. That takes the figure up to $30 million. Leaving Portland with $16 million in cap space - enough to sign a maximum-amount free agent.

But, if the Blazers want to keep Abdur-Rahim's Bird rights, he'll count $13.85 million as an UFA. If the Blazers want to keep Ratliff's Bird rights, he'll count $16.16 million as an UFA. Not renouncing either one takes Portland out of the FA race because they'd be left with less than MLE money under the cap.

And this assumes they let Miles walk this summer. It also assumes that they retain both Woods and Dickau for their 4th seasons - but they don't make enough to change this scenario even if they are allowed to walk away next summer.

In order to make a true "splash" in the FA market, a team needs to be not just under the cap, but $8-12 million under the cap at a bare minimum. The fact that unrenounced FA's count against the cap simply takes Portland out of play.

The ONLY way they could make it work and not let both of them walk would be to renounce Abdur-Rahim and extend Abdur-Rahim during the 2004-05 season to a $4-5 million contract that would kick in in 2005-06. But this would allow them only to be players, not allow them to offer the max to anyone. In other words, they could make offers to Gilbert Arenas-types and not to Jermaine O'Neal-types (using this last summer as an example).

#6 · (Edited)
Dear John Nash,
Is Darius Miles a part of Portland's future? It seems that since he came to Portland the team has been winning and has been much funner to watch. Now with this recent Shareef trade it seems Darius is the odd man out....again. I'm a huge fan of Shareef but sending Darius Miles to the bench isn't right because we started winning since he started. What's the deal with this situation? Thank you.

#7 ·
Originally posted by <b>Sambonius</b>!
Dear Steve Nash,
Is Darius Miles a part of Portland's future? It seems that since he came to Portland the team has been winning and has been much funner to watch. Now with this recent Shareef trade it seems Darius is the odd man out....again. I'm a huge fan of Shareef but sending Darius Miles to the bench isn't right because we started winning since he started. What's the deal with this situation? Thank you.
That's my second question! Did you send it in?

#8 ·
Originally posted by <b>Sambonius</b>!
Dear Steve Nash,
You might want to send your question to John Nash. I believe Steve Nash still plays for the Mavs and won't be able to help you with your question. :)

#11 ·
I can't do it very well from work, would someone please send in a question about Omar Cook and our four PGs?

#13 ·
I missed most of the chat. I heard the first two questions, then something came up that required my attention. By the time I got back, it was over (it must have been short - about 15 minutes or so)

Here's what I heard:

#1 - Are you done making trades? It's always a work in process, so always looking for deals. The Blazers are unbalanced right now with no real backup SG (although Woods, Miles and Patterson will probably see time there), but Nash isn't sure that a deal can be done in 9 days to balance things. If not, then they'll seek to do so in the offseason.

#2 - Why now when the team was winning? The trades addresses issues that are bigger than the playoff drive this year. They're looking towards next year and beyond. Wallace (and Person) could have left after this season. Rasheed said that he was planning on leaving.

That's all I heard. Anybody else care to fill in the rest?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.