Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John Rooney New Cardinals Radio guy

Hagin apparently out... but not 100 percent confirmed...

But Rooney on way...

--B

John Rooney has spent 17 seasons as a Sox broadcaster, the last 16 as play-by-play radio announcer, and is signed to broadcast all the Sox games on ESPN 1000 through the 2005 season. He is a nationally recognized broadcaster, having worked a number of division series, league championship series, All-Star games and World Series. For three years, Rooney called Fox's Game of the Week on Saturday afternoons. He has also been a college football, college basketball and NFL broadcaster. In the past, he worked for the Minnesota Twins, the University of Missouri and as a sports reporter in St. Louis. Rooney is from Richmond, Missouri, and he and his family reside in Palatine, Illinois.

Bernie is very reliable and always let's the Cards fans know things before they are announced.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hagin out, Rooney in on Cards broadcasts
BY DAN CAESAR
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/11/2005

The shakeups continue with the Cardinals radio broadcasts.

Wayne Hagin, who was hired two seasons ago to replace Jack Buck after the legendary Cards broadcaster died, has been fired.

He’ll be replaced by John Rooney, a former St. Louis sportscaster who has spent the last 18 years broadcasting the Chicago White Sox on radio. Rooney will work with Mike Shannon, who will be back for his 35th season on the air.

[More in URL]

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cardinals bring in Rooney as radio broadcaster

The St. Louis Cardinals replaced radio broadcaster Wayne Hagin with John Rooney, who has been the broadcaster for the Chicago White Sox for the past 17 years, the team said Friday.

Rooney, 50, will join Mike Shannon to form the team's radio broadcasters on 550 KTRS, the new flagship station for the team.

Broadcasting for the St. Louis Cardinals is not new to Rooney, who called his first major league game in 1983 with Shannon and the late Jack Buck. He was also the broadcaster for the Louisville Redbirds, the Cardinals' Triple A affiliate, and previously worked for the Minnesota Twins before joining the Chicago White Sox in 1988.

The Cardinals said in a statement they would honor the final year of Hagin's contract. Hagin was with the Cardinals for the last two years, joining KMOX's broadcast team after the death of Jack Buck.

[More in URL]

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rooney hopes to stay in town longer this time
By Dan Caesar
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
11/12/2005

It's a happy homecoming for John Rooney, who will join the Cardinals' radio team next year after spending the past 18 seasons broadcasting Chicago White Sox games.

Rooney, 50, returns to St. Louis, where he had two short stints at KMOX (1120 AM) in the 1980s.

"I hope I can stay in St. Louis more than about six or seven months at a time," he joked.

"There is a lot of affection for my home state, and the fact I am in the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame, worked Missouri football and basketball ... to come back and work with a creative group was in the forefront of my decision," he said.

[More in URL]

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rooney returns home for gig with Cardinals
By Fred Mitchell
Tribune staff reporter

Regarding his contract predicament with WSCR, Rooney said during Friday's news conference in St. Louis: "I didn't leave the White Sox to come here. I decided in August or September, with the way things were going with the new radio station, there wasn't a deal to be done [and] I probably had done everything I could do in Chicago. It was time maybe to do something else."

Rooney, who will be paid an estimated $500,000 per year, had signed a seven-year contract in 1998 to handle White Sox games on WMVP-AM 1000, but the World Series champion is shifting to WSCR-AM 670 next season.

Agent Steve Mandell said the agreement with the Cardinals organization will allow Rooney to handle national games on ESPN as well.

[More in URL]

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The end of an era
By Jim Margalus
November 12, 2005

Rooney, the Pale Hose’s play-by-play broadcaster for the last 17 years, will return to his home state of Missouri to partner up with Mike Shannon in the St. Louis Cardinals’ broadcast booth.

ALCS, Game 5: “Here’s a swing, and a ground ball to first! Konerko has it! He steps on the bag! The White Sox have won the pennant! They’ve won the pennant! A White Sox Winner, and they’re going to the World Series!”

World Series, Game 4: “A ground ball past Jenks, up the middle of the infield. Uribe has it! He throws…OUT! OUT! A White Sox Winner, and a World Championship! The White Sox have won the World Series, and they’re mobbing each other on the field!”

[More in URL]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts