Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow...I was lookin at the Sixers box score for their latest game, and John Salmons had 17 points!

He was the Spurs first round pick and he was traded to Philly in that Claxton deal right? I've seen some clips from him in college and he looks like he can really play.

Does anyone else know anything about this guy? What position does he play? Who does he play like?

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Damian Necronamous</b>!
Wow...I was lookin at the Sixers box score for their latest game, and John Salmons had 17 points!

He was the Spurs first round pick and he was traded to Philly in that Claxton deal right? I've seen some clips from him in college and he looks like he can really play.

Does anyone else know anything about this guy? What position does he play? Who does he play like?
He was drafted as a point guard. He can play multiple positions and cause various match-up problems. His upside has been likened to Jalen Rose

·
Registered
65 Posts
I made it down to the game last night. Definitely impressed with Salmons. He played mostly the 2 and the 3 for a good part of the game.

Strong player. rebounds well. Finishes in well in traffic. Did a nice job posting up small guards. From what I saw, I definitely think he'll be a nice player off the bench for us this year, IF given the chance.

He didn't strike me as being very fast though, particularly with the dribble. But he moves his feet very well defensively. He's not the best outside shooter, and probably settled for a few too many long range shots. But overall he had a strong game.

Salmons, Damone, and Dalembert all showed some good things last night.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
thats cool that you happened to attend the game. Did Olden play? How about Rollerson?

And did Damone or Dalembert look as if they could make contributions this year? Could they be our future?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Olden didn't play

Rollerson Played, but very sparingly and wasn't very effective in that time. Pretty much a non factor, just eating up space in the middle and hacking away mostly.

Damone and Dalembert both played pretty strong games. Damone showed some nice skills offensively. He was knocking down his open jumpers consistently showing range out to 20 feet. The biggest you notice with him is that he's confident and aggressive when he's looking to score. There's nothing tentative or hesistant about him on offense.

I think he COULD make a contribution if given the chance, however once we're healthy, with Mckie, Salmons, Monty, Buckner and KVH all logging time at 3 this year, I don't see any place for Damone, if he even makes the team.

Dalembert can definitely make a serious contribution this year. Offensively he looked decent. Had a nice flush in the paint in traffic. He just needs to continue to work on his footwork in the paint, and gain his balance when attacking the rim. He tends to rely heavily on his jumping ability, which is good, but it would help him to use his body more also. He could benefit also from adding a little muscle also. Maybe 10-15 lbs. The coaches must have been really working with Sam on his 12-15 foot jumper as well. He seemed pretty confortable stepping out and taking the J from that distance on a couple of occasion, but he didn't get any to go down. That's something that he'll need to continue work at also.

Defensively, his man-2-man defense needs some work. Kwame was able to freeze Sammy with fakes and score pretty easily inside. But Sam was beast as a weakside help defender. He really showed flashes of that roaming shotblocking ability that Ratliff possessed.... As opposed to Deke who had to camp out in the lane and would generally only block the shot if you brought it right at him.

But lot's of encouraging things from Dalembert in the game. It's good to see him stay out of foul trouble as well.

With DC being out, and Macculoch being limited with his feet problems, I see Dalembert definitely contributing this year. Damone will be a long shot to make the team with the log jam of players we have that will play the 3.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
wow

Its great to hear Samuels progression, hopefully he can get some minutes this year. As for Damone, I hope he makes the team just to be a Jumaine Jones like contributor, who can score when Iverson is injured, because it sounds like he is the only guy other the Iverson who attacks the rim.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Re: wow

Originally posted by <b>(-) 0 † § I-I () †</b>!
Its great to hear Samuels progression, hopefully he can get some minutes this year. As for Damone, I hope he makes the team just to be a Jumaine Jones like contributor, who can score when Iverson is injured, because it sounds like he is the only guy other the Iverson who attacks the rim.

Who's Samuels:eek: Yeah you right though Salmons is prgressing nicely but I think Damone wont get much tick because you know LB. VETERANS must play most of the minutes

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

Who's Samuels:eek: Yeah you right though Salmons is prgressing nicely but I think Damone wont get much tick because you know LB. VETERANS must play most of the minutes
Lol, i was actually referring to Dalembert, and saying Samuel 's , I missed the apostrophe which would have shown possession. ANd Salmons seems as if he is progressing well. Good thing SpellChecker doesn't hang out here.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Re: Re: Re: wow

Originally posted by <b>(-) 0 † § I-I () †</b>!

Lol, i was actually referring to Dalembert, and saying Samuel 's , I missed the apostrophe which would have shown possession. ANd Salmons seems as if he is progressing well. Good thing SpellChecker doesn't hang out here.
That's funny. I know Spell Checker and I havent seen him here at work in a few days I need to see if he still works here:cool:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well if the game against the Jazz was any indication .... I think we've seen the jist of what to expect from Salmons and Dalembert this year ... a fair amount of inconsistency. ( :yes: :no: :yes: :no: ) One game they'll look like solid contributors ... the next they'll look like experienced rookies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts