Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/joe_johnson_040203.html

“I just think he’s much more confident,” said Head Coach Mike D’Antoni. “He sees the ball more and he’s able to relax and play his game. If you ever see him in September and August, he’s unbelievable because he’s running his game; he’s getting the ball in his hands. So, we just created a situation where it’s like a September and he has his team out there, and he’s putting them through the paces, and he’s responded unbelievably.”

D’Antoni likens Johnson’s low-key demeanor to another “average Joe” from the late 1980s, who led by example and helped lead his team to two consecutive NBA titles.

“I would just point to (former Pistons' guard) Joe Dumars,” D’Antoni said. “I doubt Joe Dumars said two words his whole career and he was one of the best leaders the NBA has ever seen. I would think Joe (Johnson) is in the same mold as he is.”

“To me, leadership is not what you say. He doesn’t have to say anything. He comes out, he practices hard every day and he does exactly what the coaches want him to do every day. He plays as hard as he can for 48 minutes every game. He doesn’t have to say anything.”

“I think that we’re starting to see Joe mature right in front of us,” center Jake Voskuhl said. “I think as you get older, you begin to play at a higher level more consistently. That’s what every player strives to do and I think we’re seeing that right now. We’re seeing him really mature as a player and I’m really excited for him.”
I can't believe how much confidence D'Antoni has in JJ.. but with the way he's playing, it's hard to blame him. I love JJ's quiet, determined demeanor.. perfect for a young swingman..

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I still can't believe how well he is playing. Who would have thought that moving Marbury and Penny would allow him to blow up like this? He has just been awesome and still hasn't let up.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
You know what...

Frank Johnson LOVED Joe Johnson's game...

Suns fired him...

Maybe... just maybe, Frank Johnson KNEW what he was doing after all.. maybe if Frank is still the coach, suns will probably more successfull.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Here's the catch: Joe Johnson has been putting up very good numbers on a below average team, just like Larry Hughes on the other side of the country. The next step for him is to carry this talented team on his back and make some noise perhaps as early as next year.

He better can if he's going to become the first option.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
Here's the catch: Joe Johnson has been putting up very good numbers on a below average team, just like Larry Hughes on the other side of the country. The next step for him is to carry this talented team on his back and make some noise perhaps as early as next year.

He better can if he's going to become the first option.
Well I think Hughes may be almost as good of a scorer as JJ, but Johnson is way more efficient and better at other things (passing, defense). I mean since the trade, you're talking about a guy who's averaging 23ppg on 50% shooting vs. a guy who is averaging 19ppg, on less than 40% shooting.. not really close in my opinion.. Besides that, Hughes is 25 years old.. and besides that, with Amare I don't think the Suns are a below average team.. better than the Wizards without Arenas anyways.

Is JJ a good first option? Well, if he keeps scoring at his current clip, then yes I'd say so.. but eventually I'd like to see Amare become the focal point of the Suns offense.. which, in retrospect would make Johnson's job of scoring a bit easier..

But right now, maybe even as soon as next year, I don't think either of those guys are ready to be #1 options on anything more than a lower-tier playoff team. In time that will change though, I think. I hope. :D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I by no mean was comparing Joe to Larry Hughes. I was just saying that it's easier to pad the stats when became the first option. However, to become great a better player, he has not only to keep this up but also trying to make his teammates better. If he's going to drop to second option behind Amare, he has to prove he can handle to less touches but produce similar effectiveness. THe reason I said this is because for the year past, Joe has really had inconsistent efforts when he wasn't the focal point of the offense. I hope the recent strong performance will build up his confidence but there's no guarantee he will performace as well as now when his touches is taken away by teammate(s).

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
I by no mean was comparing Joe to Larry Hughes. I was just saying that it's easier to pad the stats when became the first option. However, to become great a better player, he has not only to keep this up but also trying to make his teammates better. If he's going to drop to second option behind Amare, he has to prove he can handle to less touches but produce similar effectiveness. THe reason I said this is because for the year past, Joe has really had inconsistent efforts when he wasn't the focal point of the offense. I hope the recent strong performance will build up his confidence but there's no guarantee he will performace as well as now when his touches is taken away by teammate(s).
Agreed.. one thing JJ hasn't shown us yet is that he can be effective without dominating the ball.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Now I think you are going a little overboard saying that Joe Johnson is a better defender than larry hughes

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!
Now I think you are going a little overboard saying that Joe Johnson is a better defender than larry hughes
Latrell Sprewell 1/25 vs. Suns - 40 mins, 1-7 fg's.
Kobe Bryant 11/01 vs. Suns - 37 mins, 4-12.
Kobe Bryant 12/21 vs. Suns - 39 mins, 4-12.
Tracy McGrady 12/08 vs. Suns - 44 mins, 5-17.
Michael Finley 11/26 vs. Suns - 37 mins, 5-14.
Eddie Jones 12/09 vs. Suns - 41 mins, 7-20 (6-15 in the other game)
Manu Ginobili 10/28 vs. Suns - 33 mins, 1-7.
Jason Richardson 1/6 vs. Suns - 34 mins, 3-11.

He's definitely no Trenton Hassell or Ron Artest, but JJ is one of the premier one-on-one perimeter defenders in the NBA.

Do you really think Hughes is that good of a defender? I'm looking at some shooting guards' season splits against the Wizards, and I see Redd averaging 27.5ppg, T-Mac averaging 34ppg, Allan Houston averaging 39ppg, JJ averaging 28ppg, J-Rich averaging 25ppg.. and everyone else either at or slightly above their season avg. against the Wizards.. Did Hughes not guard those guys? Maybe he didn't, I know Washington has had a ton of injuries but I assume Hughes was still playing the two spot..

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sovereignz</b>!

Latrell Sprewell 1/25 vs. Suns - 40 mins, 1-7 fg's.
Kobe Bryant 11/01 vs. Suns - 37 mins, 4-12.
Kobe Bryant 12/21 vs. Suns - 39 mins, 4-12.
Tracy McGrady 12/08 vs. Suns - 44 mins, 5-17.
Michael Finley 11/26 vs. Suns - 37 mins, 5-14.
Eddie Jones 12/09 vs. Suns - 41 mins, 7-20 (6-15 in the other game)
Manu Ginobili 10/28 vs. Suns - 33 mins, 1-7.
Jason Richardson 1/6 vs. Suns - 34 mins, 3-11.

He's definitely no Trenton Hassell or Ron Artest, but JJ is one of the premier one-on-one perimeter defenders in the NBA.

Do you really think Hughes is that good of a defender? I'm looking at some shooting guards' season splits against the Wizards, and I see Redd averaging 27.5ppg, T-Mac averaging 34ppg, Allan Houston averaging 39ppg, JJ averaging 28ppg, J-Rich averaging 25ppg.. and everyone else either at or slightly above their season avg. against the Wizards.. Did Hughes not guard those guys? Maybe he didn't, I know Washington has had a ton of injuries but I assume Hughes was still playing the two spot..

hmmm i dont think those stats are the be all and end all to deciding who is the better defender. TEAM defense may have alot to do with it.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!
Umm yeah he definately is. There are maybe 5 swingman who play better defense although on top of my head only Artest and Bowen come to mind andprobably Kobe.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
I remember watching JJ play in his rookie season when the Celtics (he was Boston Celtics then) played against MJ and the Wizards. I was so impressed with the way he play defense. He was playing defense all over the court. JJ and Paul Pierce frustrates MJ in that game. After that game, I always associates JJ with stellar defense.

So, yeah... he's already a good defender since his rookie year. his problem was his inconsistent scoring. But, before all this points that JJ put up since Steph and Penny got traded, defense was already his thing.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
JJ hasn't been hot tonight.

Last night he almost had nothing in the first half either and finished with 20+/5/5 50%FG but tonight he has almost nothing going in the 4th.

Maybe the 44mpg or so are catching up on him now especially on back to backs but they need to adjust their games with Amare back now.

We have 10 steals and 11blocks compared to 2 steals and 1 block by Utah and less turnovers and better shooting and more freethrows but we are trailing because Utah outrebounds us by 13 right now.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Ok

JJ had a really rough back to back game tonight.

Only 4-8 FTs and finished with 13pts 4reb 2ast.

It is the end of his long 20+ game streak. :uhoh:

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!

Umm yeah he definately is. There are maybe 5 swingman who play better defense although on top of my head only Artest and Bowen come to mind andprobably Kobe.
Ron Artest
Bruce Bowen
Kobe Bryant
Doug Christie
Manu ginobli
Raja Bell
Michael Redd

all better

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Nope

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Nope
Ok lets be real here for a second. Joe Johnson's name has never been brought up as a premier defender in this league period. Hes had a few good defensive games against some guys this year. So what. Every one of those players I mentioned has done it year after year and arent doing it for about a month

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Ok lets be real for a second.

Joe Johnson hasn't gotten the same exposure either.

He is also younger than all those guys.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Ok lets be real for a second.

Joe Johnson hasn't gotten the same exposure either.

He is also younger than all those guys.
It has nothing to do with either exposure or age. You made a statement so those things dont matter.

Kobe is 25
Ginoboli is 25
Trenton hassell is 24
Redd is 24
raja Bell 26 and gets no exposure. None of your reasonings say why he is better than any of the guys I listed

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Joe Johnson is 22.

Trenton Hassell doesn't do anything else really, Raja Bell isn't considered a great defender and neither is Michael Redd.

Ginobili isn't a great defender, he is a pest but he really isn't that good of a defender.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts