Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UFC light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones (16-1 MMA, 10-1 UFC) and former middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen (28-12-1 MMA, 6-5 UFC) will serve as coaches on "The Ultimate Fighter 17" on FX.

The coaching assignments, as well as an April 27 fight date, today were confirmed by the Los Angeles Times.

Due to his coaching duties, Sonnen no longer will fight Forrest Griffin (19-7 MMA, 10-5 UFC) at UFC 155 in December.

"TUF 17" filming begins Oct. 29, and the show then debuts on FX in January. The 17th edition of the UFC's long-running reality series is expected to feature middleweight and light-heavyweight fighters. Open tryouts for the tournament-based competition and show recently drew more than 120 UFC hopefuls.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/31166/jon...the-ultimate-fighter-17-fight-on-april-27.mma

:yesyesyes:

With that said, let the Chael hate train leave the station.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
He's talented, new to the division, and he's marketable. Pretty much, Jon Jones has beaten everyone in Light Heavyweight already. Maybe if Gus beats Shogun, he deserves a shot, but otherwise, it's still too early to give it to someone like Glover Teixeira. Sonnen will promote the hell out of this fight and look viable because he's been in contention in Middleweight.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's talented, new to the division, and he's marketable. Pretty much, Jon Jones has beaten everyone in Light Heavyweight already. Maybe if Gus beats Shogun, he deserves a shot, but otherwise, it's still too early to give it to someone like Glover Teixeira. Sonnen will promote the hell out of this fight and look viable because he's been in contention in Middleweight.
Spot on and exactly why this fight is happening.

I also believe Dana said the winner of Gus/Rua will be next in line after Chael. Maybe even after Hendo.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nah, I'm a fan. I don't think he stands a chance, but I'll be rooting for him.

Let's be real, name five guys at 205 that would provide an entertaining fight against Jones.

Maybe, MAYBE, Gus due to his lank and unique striking and Hendo. Other than that? No one. Jones has obliterated them all.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And let's be real, Dana is a business man and he knows Chael will sell the hell out of a fight. The fact he's putting the biggest name in the sport against the biggest personality in the sport on national TV is also a brilliant move. Does a guy on a two fight skid deserve a title shot? Of course not. But if you're Dana, what else is there to do? This will sell like hot cakes, probably even push UFC 100 in terms of it's buyrate.

Let's be clear, I think Jones will win and win with ease. But I'm still Pro-Chael.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Henderson admittedly is a bit perplexed as to why the brash and outspoken Sonnen has cut to the front of the line, got the "TUF 17" assignment, and been promised a title shot in a division in which he doesn't own a single UFC win.

So he went to Twitter and posted a message that included UFC President Dana White's Twitter handle.

"I guess I should just quit training to win fights and to be exciting for the fans and just go to s--- talking school," he tweeted.
http://mmajunkie.com/news/31174/dan...ael-sonnens-tuf-17-assignment-title-fight.mma

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More of a joke than Stephan Bonnar fighting Anderson Silva?

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
More of a joke than Stephan Bonnar fighting Anderson Silva?
Yes because that was to give Bonnar a main event send off before he retires. Chael did nothing and has not done what Bonnar has done for the sport. Chael doesnt deserve a Main Event PPV fight

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Chael is a joke that had to pump his body full of testosterone in the 1st Silva fight i wonder what PED he is gonna use in his fight with Jones

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I quit watching a while ago, and for good reason. Enjoy making this the next boxing Dana.

It was glad to put $60 down on a PPV before the politics and whoever has the best mic skills bullshit that I'm seeing now.

Chael Sonnen? It will be a ****ing massacre.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Some UFC blog guy tweeted me back all angry, and then some 19 year old bitch too. I let them all have it.

****ing twitter is crazy for fights.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts