1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

6'10'' 235 lbs
Power Forward
Wisconsin

I've been blocking this thread for over a year now because I do think internet message boards can contribute to the hype of a player and maybe even start it if you have Draft Express people monitoring the boards. Leuer is entering his senior year with Wisconsin, and he is ridiculously talented. Very good post moves and a sweet stroke from 3 point range. He has gotten a lot stronger, particularly in the legs, since arriving in Madison, and could be a much better Steve Novak in the NBA. I'll let Jay Wright, coach of Villanova take it away:

2. Who's the best college player with USA Basketball?

All five of the guys -- LaceDarius Dunn, Jacob Pullen, Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler and Marcus Morris -- I listed last week as frontrunners for preseason First Team All-America honors are here, so take your pick. But the question that intrigues me isn't the one about who's the best as much as it's the one about who's proved to be better than the people running these workouts anticipated.

I asked Villanova's Jay Wright that exact question.

His answer was Wisconin's Jon Leuer.

"He's really good," Wright said. "Maybe I haven't followed him as well because he's from the Midwest, and maybe he wouldn't surprise anybody else. But he's got great size, he puts it on the floor, he passes it, he can shoot it. He's just a ballplayer."

An NBA ballplayer?

"Yes," Wright answered.

Moments later, I told Leuer that Wright was raving about him.

"Really?" Leuer said. "That's a good guy to get a compliment from."

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Nim, you taxed Leuer for a couple million $$$ :)

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah he's awesome. He doesn't touch the ball nearly enough in dangerous positions either.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wisconsin @ Marquette on Saturday afternoon. Going to be a good game for the passion if nothing else. Leuer should eat their post defenders alive.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They aren't, it's just that that pass the eye test while Wisconsin doesn't. Before I got to work the other day a local sports talk promo said something like "...and we'll tell you how the Badgers might look like UW-Milwaukee on Saturday." To which I scoffed and got extremely upset. Marquette's a nice little program and Buzz seems to be a pretty good coach, but it's no question which program owns the state.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I think he and Brad Wanamaker are the biggest draft sleepers this year.
The guy looks like Dirk lite out there.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Coming back to talk to myself...
I mean as someone who actually watches european basketball if Jan Vesely is considered a lottery pick Leuer should be one also. And I know Nim doesnt like when people talk about Wisconsin players before their SR years but Jordan Taylor has been very impressive this year as well. If he continues in this pace next year, he could become the best professional badger since Harris.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think Leuer is too passive to make a true mark in the NBA, but he seems strong enough, has a few decent post moves and can shoot from the outside, so his team-first attitude might keep him around for quite awhile.

And yeah... I'm posting the Taylor thread.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I think Leuer is too passive to make a true mark in the NBA, but he seems strong enough, has a few decent post moves and can shoot from the outside, so his team-first attitude might keep him around for quite awhile.

And yeah... I'm posting the Taylor thread.
Think he can have a Ryan Anderson type role in the league?

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
FYI Anderson was putting up big numbers in the PAC-10 before going to the NBA. kid can ball.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't watch much NBA?
Until the playoffs I watch none. Even in the playoffs I watch very little. I remember really digging Anderson coming out of Cal (right?); he seemed to be more perimeter oriented than Leuer and not quite as strong, but more athletic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts