Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
982 Posts
Farmar would not crack the Top 20. Good college player, but just has nothing that stands out to make a him a high pick or a good NBA player. He's a poor mans Earl Watson.

He's small(combo of height and bulk), he's only an average athlete, decent quickness, has a very inconsistent J, good vision and passing ability, is average defensively(just cuz UCLA played good D does not mean everyone did; Farmar is nothing special on defense), and is tough.

He might make a solid backup point, but thats about it.

· Registered
982 Posts
Too bad there isn't one thing he does on the court that gives any validity to that claim.

For the record, I like Afflalo and Mbah a Moute a lot. So my dislike for Farmar has nothing to do with where he goes to school. It has everything to do with him doing nothing that projects as an NBA standout at the next level.

· Registered
982 Posts
HKF said:
Why do you like Affalo? The only thing Affalo will be is a Greg Buckner defensive PG, because his jumpshot has a hitch in it that makes him shoot it on the way down and he doesn't possess outstanding skills off the bounce.

How can someone like Affalo more than Farmar is beyond me.
Simple. He has a better game, minus the hype. Hype does not make you a star.

Afflalo is a solid athlete, is very strong for a 2guard, and can shoot the rock. He's not a stud 3pt shooter but he can knock it down, and he can shoot from 18 very well. I don't care about his motion - he gets it done. Shawn Marion's J is pretty damn ugly but it gets the job done. And of course, Afflalo is a damn good defender.

I don't think Afflalo is a star. But he actually has an NBA game. A guy that can play defense and shoot the rock is much more suited for the league than a shaky shooter with average defensive ability.

· Registered
982 Posts
HKF said:
Check those percentages in the tournament again. Affalo shot horribly for 6 games. You may not care about his motion, but it's a concern because it's not effective, as you seem to think it is.
LoL

So now we judge a player based on 6 games? Wonderful logic. Plenty of people go through slumps.

But, since you want to talk about the tourney run, how about Mr. Farmar?

Afflalo shot 33% from the field, 32% on 3's
Farmar shot 36% from the field, 30% on 3's

If you want to talk percentages, try them over a bigger period.

For his career, Afflalo has shot 45% from the field and 37% on 3's.

For his career, Farmar has shot 41% from the field, and 33% on 3's.

Bad form or not, Arron Afflalo is clearly the better shooter when compared to Jordan Farmar. When you add in that he has a better body for his position in the league and is a much better defender, it's pretty simple to see who projects better.

· Registered
982 Posts
bruno34115 said:
This isn't just random 6 games, its the NCAA TOURNAMENT. The equivelant of the NBA Playoffs. They were the biggest games of Aaron's career and he simply didn't show up. The Bruins would've gone nowhere without Jordan IMO.
LoL, Afflalo didn't show up but Farmar did? His percentages(which is what the other poster brought up) were friggin identical.

And of course, Afflalo's impact on the defensive end was much bigger than Farmar's was.

· Registered
982 Posts
Im not trying to argue that Afflalo is a great NBA prospect. I don't think he is. I agree with your assessment on where you think he goes in the draft.

I just believe that he will be a better pro than Farmar. Farmar is a guy who makes a living on the offensive end because he's simply not that good on the other end. He's small, doesn't have great athleticism, and his quickness by NBA standards for guards his size is nothing special. On offense he can create for others, but he's also a turnover machine. He's not a special creator like a Magic or Kidd in that you can live with him committing 4 TO's a game. And his jumper is as streaky as they come. IMO as far as the NBA goes, he'll be at best average on defense, and on offense he'll be too up and down to count on as a starter.

With Afflalo, his best asset is his defensive ability. He does not live and die with one portion of his game. He'll never be a goto scorer. I do believe though that his ability to hit an open jumper within the flow of the offense along with his ability to play defense will make him a better pro guard than Jordan Farmar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.