Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 7 12.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an idea who I'd choose, but I won't say for now. I'd like to hear some arguments. So which would be the better pair to build a franchise around and why?

(Edit: K. Malone, not M. Malone)

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Are we talking about Moses Malone? Or Karl Malone? No matter, I take Jordan/Pippen all day...

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Pretty nice question. Jordan and Pippen dominated the perimeter on both ends of the court and had great balance, Hakeem and Malone would dominate the inside with great balance as well.

Jordan is the best of all time to me, and Pippen is top 20. Hakeem and Malone are both in the 5-12 range of all time.

I cant decide at this point, I'll come back later to decide.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I am stuck on this. Olajuwon/Malone make a menacing combo in the post on offense and defense. Jordan and Pippen dominate the perimeter. I'm gonna have to say that Hakeem and Malone would be easier to surround with decent role players and still win a championship than Jordan and Pip. As long as you have a shooter and a perimeter defender(decent one) then you got yourself a title.

I still voted undecided.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Easy, Jordan/Pippen.
My opinion, the best team-up for Hakeem would be a guy like Garnett, not Malone.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>texan</b>!
I am stuck on this. Olajuwon/Malone make a menacing combo in the post on offense and defense. Jordan and Pippen dominate the perimeter. I'm gonna have to say that Hakeem and Malone would be easier to surround with decent role players and still win a championship than Jordan and Pip. As long as you have a shooter and a perimeter defender(decent one) then you got yourself a title.

I still voted undecided.
Conversely all you need with Pippen/Jordan is a hardworking 4 who doesn't care about scoring, some guy who can make wide open 3 pointers, and a random stiff in the the middle who can hit the wide open 5 footer and occasionaly foul.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sweet_constipation</b>!
Easy, Jordan/Pippen.
My opinion, the best team-up for Hakeem would be a guy like Garnett, not Malone.
Holy crap, that would ROCK.

·
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So few votes and comments, yet so many views (relatively that is). Well, it really is an apples to oranges comparison; there is no wrong answer. I'd take the Dream and Mailman combo though and the poll so far agrees. They've killed each other so many times in the west, Rockets/Jazz have always been a phenominal matchup, and the Jazz held their own against the Bulls in the finals. I think if the powerhouses from both those teams were together from the start, it would be a dynasty that would give the 90's Bulls a run for their money. Malone and Hakeem would complement each other perfectly.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd pick Malone, Karl and Olajuwon, Hakeem tandem... Why?

- A demon on the defensive end. Surround them with the likes of Bowen (great defender and can hit open threes), and more perimeter defenders and you'll have one of the best defensive teams of all time.

- Olajuwon can score. Malone can score. Both can pass well. So double teaming one of them is hard, same as Jordan. But I'm more concered with the interior defense that Team Jordan and Pippen will have to fill. There are many decent perimeter defenders, but Hakeem is a rare gem. Combine with Malone's defense (which is still effective by the way, even in an old age)

- Yeah Jordan and Pippen can shut down the perimeter. They'll also create havoc on offense because NO ONE CAN STOP MJ! But interior D? Hmm...

Easier to score inside than outside...

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Depends on what kind of situation, to me. As far as winning the most championships, it might be Malone and Olajuwon because those two had 12 prime years together, while Jordan and Pippen only had 7 or 8, plus Malone was a top 10-15 player even a few years afterwards and won an MVP outside of his prime. But by that same token, obviously they'd have to go through each other to win a championship because Jordan and Pippen's 8 years of prime play fall right in with Malone and Olajuwon's. It would depend on the surrounding cast.. I mean I want to say "if you give Malone and Olajuwon a 'solid' supporting cast, they'd win", but if you give Pippen and Jordan a big man who can play d and alter a lot of shots, you could put Rusty Larue and Primoz Brezec out there and they'd beat just about anyone, IMO.

There's no real way to be sure, but because I like big over small impact-wise and Hakeem was quite possibly the greatest impact player of all-time I'd go with Malone and Hakeem.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Good question. But I'd certainly go with MJ/Pippen for 2 reasons:

1. The one obvious reason is they're proven. They won 6 titles together. Nothing is a sure thing until it happens, and MJ/Pippen happened.

2. MJ and Pippen's natural games blend together better than Hakeem and Malone's. Hakeem and Malone, while their styles might be different, have the same strengths as each other (scoring, among other things). Pippen, on the other hand, wasn't supposed to score 25 a game and so he complemented MJ perfectly with the other versatile features of his game.

I'm not saying Malone and Hakeem would bicker over shots...to the contrary I think both were so intent on winning that it wouldn't be a problem. But the point is that one of them (or both, depending on how it played out) wouldn't contribute nearly what he did when he didn't have other superstar on his team. And therefore you wouldn't really have 2 superstars playing together; instead one superstar and one star.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hoopla, well stated.
That's why I say KG and Hakeem would be a better combo, mainly because of KG's unselfishness and all around play.

That's why Jordan/Pippen worked so well, and why something like Jordan/Kobe wouldn't.

·
Registered
13,950 Posts
i think better partners for hakeem would be clyde drexler or ralph sampson(and since they both actually happened).

in either matchup i would be the one with hakeem though, because he would just be unstoppable on offense and be able to play a big part in stopping the others on defense.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sweet_constipation</b>!

You mean, like a Ralph Sampson? ;)

Granted, Sampson didn't have a long career or prime.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I would take Jordan/Pippen. Olajuwon was a defender on the level of Pippen but Malone, while a good defender, was not as good a defender as Jordan.

It's true that Jordan and Pippen represented perimeter defense while Olajuwon and Malone represented interior defense. But in my opinion, Jordan and Pippen disrupted big men better than Olajuwon and Malone disrupted perimeter players (though Olajuwon definitely discouraged slashing to the hoop with his shot-blocking).

I give the defensive advantage to Jordan and Pippen.

On offense, Malone and Olajuwon duplicated a lot of offensive ability. They were both dominant post players with fade-away jumpers. Such duplication is nowhere near optimal and means their effectiveness is not purely additive.

Meanwhile, while Jordan and Pippen were both slashers and streaky outside shooters, Pippen had the more unique ability to play-make for others and direct the offense. This allowed Pippen to be superstar effective without taking shots away from Jordan. It would be hard for Malone or Olajuwon to be superstar effective without taking shots away from the other.

Olajuwon and Malone are amazing players and both top-10 in my estimation. But as a duo, I definitely think Jordan and Pippen would be more effective.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
I think a lot of people here are forgetting just how dominant the Mailman used to be. He used to be impossible to guard because he'd murder people both on the inside and outside. I can't even begin to fathom the possibilities of Hakeem getting it in the post, being doubled and passing the ball to a cutting (and extremely big and strong) Karl Malone. That play alone would be impossible to defend.

With Malone/Hakeem, you'd have a killer defensive/offensive post combination that isn't too shabby from the outside.

With MJ/Pippen, you have a killer defensive/offensive perimeter combination that's not too shabby on the inside.

And as everyone knows, it's much easier to score in the paint than out of it.

Doesn't seem like an incredibly difficult choice to me. I pick Hakeem/Malone.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
its hard to compare a duo which won 6 rings together and another duo who have never played on the same team together (except for an all-star game), thats why the kobe/shaq vs. tmac/yao comparisions aren't really valid but i guess ill have to go with the proven...mj/pip

1 - 20 of 31 Posts