Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the most anticipated fights of the year – perhaps in recent MMA history – may have to wait.

UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo (25-1 MMA, 7-0 UFC) has suffered a rib injury and is questionable for his grudge match with rival Conor McGregor (17-2 MMA, 5-0 UFC).

The UFC’s Netherlands Twitter and Facebook account first reported news of the injury. UFC officials and representatives from both fighters’ camps didn’t immediately respond to MMAjunkie’s request for comment.

UFC 189 takes place July 11 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FOX Sports 1 and UFC Fight Pass.

Aldo vs. McGregor is slated for the headliner.

The bout actually took the main-event slot over another title fight: welterweight champion Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald. With Aldo vs. McGregor as the centerpiece of the show, the UFC reportedly spent millions of dollars on a flashy promotional video and five-country media tour (see the highlights below) to drum up interest for the mega-fight.

Aldo and McGregor, respectively ranked No. 1 and No. 6 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA featherweight rankings, publicly bickered even before the fight was officially announced. UFC President Dana White recently said the event was on pace for a million pay-per-view buys, a mark reached only nine times in company history.

The latest UFC 189 lineup includes:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)

Champ Jose Aldo vs. Conor McGregor – for featherweight title
Champ Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald – for welterweight title
Dennis Bermudez vs. Jeremy Stephens
Gunnar Nelson vs. TBA
Thomas Almeida vs. Brad Pickett
PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

Matt Brown vs. Tim Means
John Howard vs. Brandon Thatch
Alex Garcia vs. Mike Swick
Henry Briones vs. Cody Garbrandt
PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET)

Neil Seery vs. Louis Smolka
Yosdenis Cedeno vs. Cody Pfister
http://mmajunkie.com/2015/06/jose-aldo-injured-questionable-for-ufc-189-bout-with-conor-mcgregor

·
Registered
345 Posts
It has been confirmed that the fight is still on.

In light of recent reports regarding the status of UFC featherweight champion Jose Aldo, UFC has received official medical confirmation from several doctors that Aldo did not suffer a broken rib. Following a review of the scans, it has been determined that the champion suffered a bone bruise to his rib and cartilage injury during training.

With this news, Aldo has expressed that he has every intention of facing Conor McGregor at UFC 189.

While Aldo has indicated that he will compete in Las Vegas on July 11, UFC has confirmed a contingency plan. No.1 featherweight contender Chad Mendes will face McGregor for the interim UFC featherweight championship in the event Aldo cannot compete.

UFC remains committed to delivering the featherweight and the welterweight championship fights at UFC 189 during UFC International Fight Week in Las Vegas.
http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-Statement-on-UFC-189

Nice that they have a backup plan as well. Other nice thing is that if this fight were to have fallen through, there is a second title fight on the card between Lawler/MacDonald for the Welterweight title.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really wish this was just a straight fight. I'd like to see the professional destroy the pikey.
Don't like his attitude, or what?

I think Aldo will win, he brought in this guy to train with who fights just like Connor. The kid might even be BETTER than Connor, his name is Jonas Bilharinho. He'll probably be fighting in the UFC eventually, but that should be an extremely useful tool to have in his camp.

·
Registered
345 Posts
McGregor gonna whoop that ass. Aldo ain't face anyone like him.
The funny thing is Conor hasn't faced anyone in the top 5 period. Dustin Poirier is his best win and while it was a good win, Conor has conveniently avoided the top dogs in the division.

I mean his wins are....

Dennis Siver - Always up and down, never been a top fighter and is 36 years old and visibly not the same fighter he used to be back when he was at least exciting to watch.

Dustin Poirier - Conor's only good win to date but Dustin never broke into the top 5 of the 145 pound division.

Diego Brandao - Dude is about as middle of the road as you can get.

Max Holloway - Decent win but Max is still unproven.

Marcus Brimage - The guy is 7-4...

So yeah, Aldo hasn't faced anyone like Conor style wise, but has beaten fighters at the top consistently. Conor has never faced anyone even near Aldo's level.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Don't like his attitude, or what?

I think Aldo will win, he brought in this guy to train with who fights just like Connor. The kid might even be BETTER than Connor, his name is Jonas Bilharinho. He'll probably be fighting in the UFC eventually, but that should be an extremely useful tool to have in his camp.
I actually really like Connor and I think he arrived at the exact time that the UFC needed him to.

Aldo is one of the very best that's ever been, that's why I want him to win. Connor isn't on his level, he's just exciting and Dana wants to sell tickets.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Conor is an exciting fighter but he annoys me with his mouth. Can't blame him though. Chael Sonnen laid out the blueprint for a title shot. Have a big mouth, Conor is just following in his footsteps and it is working.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fun highlight for Conor, well done.

His recent interview on Conan was pretty interesting..he shit talked Aldo, Mendes, AND Floyd Mayweather.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I'll be there. Disappointed Aldo is out but the backup is pretty good too.

Be interesting to see what happens with Aldo. Both Mendes and McGregor said they do not want to fight Aldo in Brazil hinting at drug testing reasons.

McGregor cracks me up. I love him and I think he's the real deal as a fighter. It is MMA though and anyone can lose at any time so it will be interesting to see what happens if/when he does lose.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mendes will easily be McGregor's stiffest test. This is the first top 5 fighter Conor will have faced.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Mendes will easily be McGregor's stiffest test. This is the first top 5 fighter Conor will have faced.
Agreed. To me it really comes down to the first couple take-down attempts. If McGregor can avoid or stuff them I think it is over for Mendes. McGregor will have a big reach advantage and is expert at using it. Hard to see Mendes winning this on the feet.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Agreed. To me it really comes down to the first couple take-down attempts. If McGregor can avoid or stuff them I think it is over for Mendes. McGregor will have a big reach advantage and is expert at using it. Hard to see Mendes winning this on the feet.
Mendes' striking has improved leaps and bounds. Him and Dillashaw showed huge improvements after Ludwig came to Team Alpha Male and as far as I know they still work together.

I mean McGregor wants this fight striking and I think Mendes has a huge grappling advantage, but I think Mendes' ground advantage is larger than McGregors striking advantage.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I think the only way Mendes wins is if he takes Conor down and lays on him or catches him. I don't see the former happening as Conor is pretty good on the ground and very good at getting back to his feet. I don't see Mendes keeping him down for the majority of 5 rounds. More likely Conor can get caught. He does leave himself open and Mendes has the power presumably to put him down.

Conor is a special kind of striker. The way he moves and throws can't be taught and he lands with great accuracy. When he dropped Brimage he hit him with 6-7 straight shots nearly each one hitting right on the button.

Mendes is fighting on short notice, against a large reach advantage and a southpaw. It can go either way but my money would be on McGregor. Just because he is hyped doesn't mean he isn't the real deal.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I think the only way Mendes wins is if he takes Conor down and lays on him or catches him. I don't see the former happening as Conor is pretty good on the ground and very good at getting back to his feet. I don't see Mendes keeping him down for the majority of 5 rounds. More likely Conor can get caught. He does leave himself open and Mendes has the power presumably to put him down.
I don't think Conor has proved enough on the ground to say that Mendes can't keep him there. Conor has never faced anyone with wrestling remotely close to Chad's. Conor's only tow losses are submission losses as well. Chad could definitely catch McGregor but I think his wrestling could prove way too much.

Conor is a special kind of striker. The way he moves and throws can't be taught and he lands with great accuracy. When he dropped Brimage he hit him with 6-7 straight shots nearly each one hitting right on the button.
Conor has good striking and utilizes his range well. I wouldn't put too much stock into the Brimage fight though. Brimage is pretty far down the list.

Mendes is fighting on short notice, against a large reach advantage and a southpaw. It can go either way but my money would be on McGregor. Just because he is hyped doesn't mean he isn't the real deal.
He absolutely could be the real deal, but his hype is definitely far beyond what he has actually proven which is why I will remain skeptical until he takes someone out like Mendes.

Mendes taking this fight on short notice is definitely cause for some concern but at the same time if he can drag Conor into deep water Conor may be in trouble. Mendes has shown he can go 5 solid rounds where Conor hasn't yet. Again not that he can't, just food for thought.

Even if Conor loses this, it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't the real deal as Mendes is a top 3 145er and a tough test for anyone. Mendes' only losses are to Aldo.

All in all I am excited for this. Mendes can definitely show whether or not Conor is ready.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
Dana apparently said the x-ray's Aldo released were of an old-injury and he in fact backed out due to fear of not making weight.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dana apparently said the x-ray's Aldo released were of an old-injury and he in fact backed out due to fear of not making weight.
There should be some type of repercussion for this IMO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts