Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
"So what happened was, when the pictures went out onto the internet, right, and you saw this rib down here, that was an old injury," the UFC president said. "That was an old injury that was calcified white. The real injury was the bruised rib and cartilage. He had a bruised rib and cartilage. And the big problem for Aldo in taking the fight, wasn't the fight. It was making weight.

"He had to cut something like 24 pounds, and if he couldn't physically do it the way that he does it, he was afraid that he couldn't make weight," White continued. "That was really the issue. But he did not have a broken rib. It was a bruise. Every x-ray he sent out was of an old injury. What you saw right there on his body was an old injury, not a new injury.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/10/8930591/dana-white-jose-aldo-did-not-have-a-broken-rib-the-x-rays-he-released

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would like to hear Aldo's camp comment on it. It's not crazy to think the photo being circulated isn't correct, but the rest sounds like Dana being Dana. He always makes ludicrous statements or takes it out of context.

For instance, it is more likely that the injury was severe enough to prevent Aldo from properly cut weight leading up to the fight. Everytime Cain or anyone from AKA gets injured Dana gets butthurt and whines to the media as well.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Who watched?

And what did you think of the scrap? I thought it was very entertaining. Something felt off about it though, it was like Herb Dean was favouring McGregor. He was moaning at Mendes right away for anything, he let the elbows to the top of the head go and he stopped the fight really quickly in my opinion (especially with the clock coming to save Mendes).

That said, I'm not a into the rules of MMA so perhaps somebody could enlighten me as to how they felt it went.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Who watched?

And what did you think of the scrap? I thought it was very entertaining. Something felt off about it though, it was like Herb Dean was favouring McGregor. He was moaning at Mendes right away for anything, he let the elbows to the top of the head go and he stopped the fight really quickly in my opinion (especially with the clock coming to save Mendes).

That said, I'm not a into the rules of MMA so perhaps somebody could enlighten me as to how they felt it went.
I don't think Dean favored Conor. Especially when Mendes took him down and was on top, McGregor looked at Dean asking to get it stood up and Dean wouldn't as long as Mendes was working.

The fight itself wasn't bad. Mendes didn't have a full camp and that coupled with McGregor working his body ultimately led to Mendes running out of gas and getting caught at the end of the round.

McGregor showed a good chin eating those shots Mendes landed while standing. Chad hits very hard for a 145er and would have dropped most people in the division with those shots. His overall striking strategy surprised me a bit as he seemed content just kind of standing in front of Conor on the outside which is exactly where McGregor shines.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
I actually think Mendes might have had it if he had a full camp. He was definitely not in good cardio shape on the short notice. He was so gassed by that second round.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I actually think Mendes might have had it if he had a full camp. He was definitely not in good cardio shape on the short notice. He was so gassed by that second round.
I believe Frankie Edgar would be McGregor's toughest fight in the division. His speed and striking would make it close with Conor but Edgar's timing with his takedowns and speed in scrambles would be too great of an advantage for him.

·
Have a GREAT day!
13,796 Posts
He was gassed after getting blasted in the ribs by two spinning back kicks from Conor IMO.

McGregor likes to run his mouth but he does it differently than a lot of other shit talkers like Sonnen. To me a guy like Sonnen runs his mouth to make up for his lack of fighting prowess. He makes it into a show as well. McGregor is the real deal and is just telling it like it is. McGregor's shit talking is a supplement to his fighting and Sonnen it appears to be the reverse.

·
Registered
345 Posts
He was gassed after getting blasted in the ribs by two spinning back kicks from Conor IMO.

McGregor likes to run his mouth but he does it differently than a lot of other shit talkers like Sonnen. To me a guy like Sonnen runs his mouth to make up for his lack of fighting prowess. He makes it into a show as well. McGregor is the real deal and is just telling it like it is. McGregor's shit talking is a supplement to his fighting and Sonnen it appears to be the reverse.
McGregor definitely took the wind out of Chad's sails working the body but Mendes not getting full camp definitely played a part in it.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Thanks @Wiz

I was looking for a couple of opinions on it, seems I was quick to judge Dean (nearly as quick as he was to stop the fight). ;)

I watched the fight on a shitty little stream while at work today. I'm glad the UFC has its superstar, it's been a sport that needed some good publicity for a while.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks @Wiz

I was looking for a couple of opinions on it, seems I was quick to judge Dean (nearly as quick as he was to stop the fight). ;)

I watched the fight on a shitty little stream while at work today. I'm glad the UFC has its superstar, it's been a sport that needed some good publicity for a while.
I mean it's tough on refs. I would have to watch it again to say for sure if I thought it was early. But Mendes was out if gas getting beat up and dropped like a sack of potatoes when Conor nailed him.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
I mean it's tough on refs. I would have to watch it again to say for sure if I thought it was early. But Mendes was out if gas getting beat up and dropped like a sack of potatoes when Conor nailed him.
Yeah, I think if the fight had 60 or even 30 seconds to go, I would understand Dean stopping it. Didn't it get down to like 1 second when he called it? Mendes was still defending from what I could see.

Conor took some big shots in that fight, really nice to see the kid has got a chin. I can't stand big mouths that end up getting dropped.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I was there. Absolutely insane atmosphere. The McGregor v Mendes fight was good but really overshadowed by the Robbie and Rory fight.

I'm glad to see McGregor get beat up a bit and still prevail. McGregor does need to work on his wrestling but striking he is special. When he does get shots in they are particularly accurate and often right on the chin, which is what dropped Mendes.

Funny in the post-fight press conference to hear Mendes talking about dropping bomb elbows on McGregor's head and Conor asking him if that is all he's got... McGregor has crazy on his side.

McGregor has 2 dangers right now...

1) with Aldo's power he better be less careless with his defense or he might get dropped. Lucky Mendes didn't drop him. Mendes hit him with some big shots.

2) Weight - he's going to have to figure out his weight situation. If he officially wins the belt from Aldo by beating him in their next fight we could see him moving up. Unless he does some different weight management he is going to have trouble continuing to make that weight and he's not going to be able to continue to fight the best in the world completely draining himself beforehand. Word is he was looking pretty terrible backstage at the weigh-ins.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was there. Absolutely insane atmosphere. The McGregor v Mendes fight was good but really overshadowed by the Robbie and Rory fight.

I'm glad to see McGregor get beat up a bit and still prevail. McGregor does need to work on his wrestling but striking he is special. When he does get shots in they are particularly accurate and often right on the chin, which is what dropped Mendes.

Funny in the post-fight press conference to hear Mendes talking about dropping bomb elbows on McGregor's head and Conor asking him if that is all he's got... McGregor has crazy on his side.

McGregor has 2 dangers right now...

1) with Aldo's power he better be less careless with his defense or he might get dropped. Lucky Mendes didn't drop him. Mendes hit him with some big shots.

2) Weight - he's going to have to figure out his weight situation. If he officially wins the belt from Aldo by beating him in their next fight we could see him moving up. Unless he does some different weight management he is going to have trouble continuing to make that weight and he's not going to be able to continue to fight the best in the world completely draining himself beforehand. Word is he was looking pretty terrible backstage at the weigh-ins.
If McGregor beats Aldo he still has a huge huge test in Frankie Edgar. Honestly if that was Frankie instead if Chad in there that night I think Conor would have lost.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts