Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Josh Smith’s introductory news conference as a member of the Los Angeles Clippers was largely forgettable except for this little nugget.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the former Pistons bust explained how next year will be a financial challenge.

"At the end of the day, you know, I do have a family," he said. "So it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But I'm going to push through it, you know."

Smith will be paid a combined $6.9 million next season between what he’s owed from the Pistons and the $1.5 million contract he signed with the Clippers.

The Sentinel also notes Smith has made about $91 million so far in career NBA earnings.
Sporting News

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Latrell Spreewell all over again.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
He needs money more than wins (pass the first round).

·
Premium Member
51,479 Posts
Josh Smith: 'Harder' comment about moving family, not salary

Apparently the headline was: Josh Smith went to the Clippers press conference and said he didn't make enough money? Even the idea of it is kind of ridiculous. Anyone who knows me, or knows how one-year contracts work in the NBA, understood what I was saying. This is my third team in less than a year. I was talking about how moving affects my family. But the headline about greed was the one everyone ran with.

The whole thing about it being “harder on me” comes down to family. It seems obvious to me, but maybe I could have said it more clearly. If you know the NBA, you know that moving to a new team is a decision that affects an athlete's whole family. That's even more true when you're signing a one-year deal. With a one-year deal, there's less stability because you know you might be moving again in a year.

So I'm out there power-walking with the fam. My first response was, OK, who cares how a few people interpreted it? I know everyone on the Internet likes to be judgmental at one point or another. I try not to be too sensitive to any one thing. But it's funny, because if you look at my whole statement, no one present at the press conference had any issue with it. Everyone seemed to know what I meant. It wasn't until later that it took on a life of its own.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Majority of people on this forum couldnt take care of their families if they took a huge pay cut, so how is it any different than if Smith says it?

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Majority of people on this forum couldnt take care of their families if they took a huge pay cut, so how is it any different than if Smith says it?
Not sure if you're serious, but the majority of people on this forum haven't made 94 million dollars over the past 10 years. You can take care of your entire family for several generations with that much money.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
According to Josh Smith, nothing is ever Josh Smith's fault.

Or maybe some hack twisted a comment he knew would stick because Smith said it since nobody calls out this group of liars and bullshit artist that masquerade as "journalist" covering the NBA.

Reactions: Kidd

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Not sure if you're serious, but the majority of people on this forum haven't made 94 million dollars over the past 10 years. You can take care of your entire family for several generations with that much money.
Only if you live like a hermit. If you do exactly what majority of americans do you will be broke with any huge paycut. It's easy when you dont have the money to tell someone else how they should live with money.

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Your lifestyle and his are completely different, besides if you were in that tax bracket, you'd be spending on more as well

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Only if you live like a hermit. If you do exactly what majority of americans do you will be broke with any huge paycut. It's easy when you dont have the money to tell someone else how they should live with money.
:yep:

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
You're either a brilliant troll or a moron.

If someone is making $150k, they could absorb a 30% pay cut more than someone making $30k.

Reactions: Gormin71

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
The first two sentences are true but little to do with your original point.

A majority of Americans have crippling student loans and half their net worth tied up in cars. But I can live on a third of what I make now. And I don't make nearly 1.5 million.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Do you think he is worth 4-year 28 million contract this month?

·
19,803 Posts
The first two sentences are true but little to do with your original point.

A majority of Americans have crippling student loans and half their net worth tied up in cars. But I can live on a third of what I make now. And I don't make nearly 1.5 million.
Which is all that matters in this conversation because stats tell us that the rest of this country cannot take a 1/3 paycut and not adjust their lifestyle.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Which is all that matters in this conversation because stats tell us that the rest of this country cannot take a 1/3 paycut and not adjust their lifestyle.
Right, but why does "the rest of the country" being stupid excuse a guy that made 90 million plus whining about a pay cut?

I can sit on my high horse because I'm the anomaly with stats. But I don't think that was Pablo's original point.

·
19,803 Posts
Right, but why does "the rest of the country" being stupid excuse a guy that made 90 million plus whining about a pay cut?

I can sit on my high horse because I'm the anomaly with stats. But I don't think that was Pablo's original point.
Or you fall into another stat of internet liars.

:baseldance:

1 - 20 of 160 Posts