Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am watching Oak Hill play Cardinal Dougherty out of Philadelphia at the Isles shootout. To call Josh Smith a top ten NBA draft choice is just plain silly. He is a taller version of Lenny Cooke. About 6-7, 6-8, left handed, slender. He's not anywhere near ready for the NBA.

He's been bricking shots and has been called twice for travelling. He did have one nice open court slam, but he does not have the handles to create his own shot.

DeShawn White from Cardinal Dougherty, who will be playing at Providence next year, looks like the best player on the floor. He's 6-7 also and he can really shoot. Dougherty leads at the half 39-24.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I heard a comment about him maybe being hurt back during the Randolph Morris/Dwight Howard matchup. It might explain a few recent weak performances.
I do agree anyway, having Smith in the Top 10 (including other mocks) shows how weak the draft really is this year.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>aeroe</b>!
I do agree anyway, having Smith in the Top 10 (including other mocks) shows how weak the draft really is this year.
No, it shows how dumb the mocks really are. This is not a weak draft. It is just a weak U.S. collegiate draft. There is an excellent crop of Euros plus three talented Brazilians who will likely go in the top 30.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I don´t think Josh Smith is ready to go to the NBA, but he will likely be drafted due to his potential. He will probably need around two years to make any kind of impact, should go to college...

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>LegoHat</b>!
I don´t think Josh Smith is ready to go to the NBA, but he will likely be drafted due to his potential. He will probably need around two years to make any kind of impact, should go to college...
If he declares I do not see him going in the top 30. He does not have enough potential to be worth guaranteed money. For one thing, his body is very average for the NBA. He is a sf who doesn't shoot that well or handle the ball that well. Again, a larger version of Lenny Cooke.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Josh Smith needs to go to college. I have never seen him play but I've heard comparisons to Tim Duncan. He needs to go to Oregon.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!

If he declares I do not see him going in the top 30. He does not have enough potential to be worth guaranteed money. For one thing, his body is very average for the NBA. He is a sf who doesn't shoot that well or handle the ball that well. Again, a larger version of Lenny Cooke.
Lenny Cooke handles the ball very well, and has a great mid range game, he just isn't a reliable three point shooter. At the same stage Cooke is far better than Smith, Smith is just taller.

I wouldn't take Smith in the 1st round, but the fact that Travis Outlaw went in the first round last year, means Smith has a shot also.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>duckman1734</b>!
Josh Smith needs to go to college. I have never seen him play but I've heard comparisons to Tim Duncan. He needs to go to Oregon.
You sure you got the right Josh Smith? The one their talking about has gotten comparisons to swingmen like VC and TMac, and I believed he signed a letter of intent to Indiana already.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Josh Smith is garbage
the only good players in HS

are Al Jefferson
Dwight Howard
and Shaun Livingston
i would take those guys in the lottery
as far as Smith
maybe 2nd round
he is a little better shooter but a little less athletic than Outlaw
y'all just wait till the Mcdonalds game and the other all american games
al jefferson will dominate
livingston will probably win MVP with his flashy passing
and howard will show his athetism
but josh smith and all the others(with the exception of marvin williams who is not NBA material but a very good player nevertheless) will suck

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
If garbage and sucking as you say is getting scholarship offers to national powerhouses since their junior year in high school? Is that your definition of garbage? :confused:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fjkdsi</b>!
Josh Smith is garbage
i totally disagree with you. he has major skill and potential but there is just no way he is ready for the nba.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
LOL
i kind of got out of hand callin them garbage
they are all obviously very good players
but i mean as far as being worth lottery picks this eason
or at least 1st round picks

smith will probably become a top 10 pick
and he definatly shouldnt be up there
i would take him in the middle of the 2nd
he is very similar to qyentel woods IMO