Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the ESPN article about how it'd be beneficial for Utah to trade Karl Malone (since they're probably not going anywhere next year anyways)... and it got me thinking about possible scenarios.

Here's one I just thought of:

Karl Malone, Greg Ostertag, and Deshawn Stevenson to Portland for:
Scottie Pippen, Bonzi Wells (sign and trade) and Zach Randolph.

It definately helps Portland for next year... Malone and Ostertag give them more size and strength up front, and I think 'Sheed is athletic enough, at least from what I've seen of him, to guard some/most SFs (and Patterson can come in and guard the ones that are too tough on the perimeter for him), so it'd be possible to have a frontline of Sheed/Malone/Davis(Ostertag), which is tremendous size, even in the West. Anderson can play more at the 2, and Stevenson becomes Portland's project (who still could pan out). But mainly the trade is to get Malone, who becomes a constant post-option, to go along with Sheed's all-around offensive game (that's developed tremendous range recently)

Portland's lineup:
Stoudamire/Daniels
Anderson/Daniels/Stevenson
Sheed/Patterson/Woods
Malone/Kemp/Ostertag
Davis/Ostertag/Kemp

Utah gets something for Malone, who realistically can't have that many years left. They get an athletic, tough defending two guard... that's 26 and becoming a very good player... and they get a huge body, who possibly can become a star PF, in the mold of Elton Brand. It allows them to get possible-star players at every position. Pippen, is obviously just cap filler.

Utah's lineup:
Stockton/Lopez
Wells/Cheaney
Kirilenko/Pippen
Randolph/Amaechi
Collins/Borchardt

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nah!

It seems to me that Bonzi Wells has WAY more trade value. Karl Malone is, what, 38 or 39 years old? I like how your brain works, but seriously, who would you rather have for the next 3-4 years, Bonzi Wells or Karl Malone?

Anyway, I spent a LOT of time a few weeks ago trying to figure out where The Mailman could go, and you know what, he's not going anywhere. Maybe the team decides to not re-sign him next summer, maybe they DO re-sign him--but he won't get traded this summer or during next season. It doesn't make sense for the Jazz and it doesn't make sense for potential trading partners. He and Stockton will both be in Utah next season.

I mean, the Jazz SHOULD trade both of these dudes and get some young talent in return, but they sort of can't. Stockton apparently would refuse to play for anyone besides Utah. And why would a team TRADE for The Mailman when they can just SIGN him next summer? Or at LEAST work out a sign-and-trade next summer?

If Utah trades The Mailman, they'll have to take $19 mil worth of salaries in return. If they wait and trade him NEXT summer, in a sign-and-trade, they'll only have to take on about, what, $7-$8 mil worth of salaries in return?

Maybe The Mailman for Derek Anderson straight up in a sign-and-trade next summer? But NOT Bonzi Wells!

And yes, I understand that Pippen's contract is up after next season, but he's a big player for Portland, they need him next year.

I SORT OF like your idea, to be honest with you--but it ain't gonna happen. Besides, Portland needs a CENTER, not Karl Malone!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trading Malone next summer would drastically lower his value... realistically, he has a few years left... and trading him next year would mean the team getting him gets a huge percentage less years.

For the next 3-4 years? It's close... but for next year, there's no question that Malone brings more to a team that Bonzi would... and Malone really doesn't look like he's slowing down, so maybe he stays more productive for the 3-4 years.

Yes, Portland needs a center... but adding Malone would give them post-scoring (that they didn't really have last year... Wallace shot more frmo the perimeter than he should've, and at times it seemed like Bonzi was their best post option, and he was at the 2/3), and Ostertag gives them a big guy that will foul Shaq as hard as anyone. And yes, Bonzi is a good player, and will be one for a while... but how much of a downgrade is it to switch to Anderson, while adding a young guy like Deshawn Stevenson to the bench (who athletically is very good... and he's still just 21)?

I just think that if Portland makes that trade... they clearly establish themselves as part of the "Big 4" in the West, with the Lakers/Kings/Mavs... and they'd put up a very good match against any of them.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Well, okay, maybe...

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, Rasheed is incredible as a 4 but as a 3, he would be UNSTOPPABLE. So maybe this trade isn't such a bad idea. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

I STILL say that Portland would be better off trading for either a center or a point guard. Bonzi Wells is their obvious trade bait, and Pippen (because of his expiring contract) and Randolph (because he's young and cheap) make good trade bait, too.

Seems like trading for a center (Michael Olowokandi, Brad Miller, Theo Ratliff, Elden Campbell, Radoslav Nesterovic, Erick Dampier, Adonal Foyle, Lorenzen Wright, Zydrunas Ilgauskus, Zeljko Rebraca, Nazr Mohammed, Jahidi White, and Hakeem Olajuwon are all guys who are or MIGHT be available) or a point guard (Nick Van Exel, Sam Cassell, Terrell Brandon, David Wesley, Alvin Williams, Eric Snow, Jason Williams, Penny Hardaway, Darrell Armstrong, Chris Whitney, and Chucky Atkins are all guys who are or MIGHT be available) seems like a more pressing need for Portland, that's all.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Technically, you're right... if they could get a pointguard/center it would be better for them... but I just can't see any that would be available that would make nearly the impact that Karl Malone would. (Olowakandi would be great for them to get, a big, young center... but I can't see how they pry him away from the Clippers. The Clippers really don't have a need for anything the Blazers could offer)

But a Blazers team, after the trade I proposed, would be very tough for any team to deal with.

Picture them vs. the Mavericks... think the Mavs, with their interior defense, can stop Karl Malone from having a field day? Think the Mavs would want any part of a frontline of Wallace/Malone/Davis?

Picture them vs. the Kings... Malone helped take them to a 4-game series with Utah, and at times it looked like Utah should have won... now imagine if he had Portland as his teamates instead of Utah? I think that this would be a very good series... Peja/Webber, while allstars, would definately have their hands full with Wallace/Malone

Them vs the Lakers... yes, nobody can stop Shaq... but Ostertag will foul him very hard, and Dale Davis will act as a warrior, like he always does. Imagine how tough it'd be for Fox/Horry to guard Wallace/Malone?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Hmmm...

The thing is, yeah, Portland SHOULD be a better team after this trade, I GUESS--but don't you think team chemistry would be a pretty major issue? The four top teams in the West--Sacramento, L.A., San Antonio, and Dallas--would remain unchanged.

The Clippers AIN'T gonna be able to re-sign all those dudes next summer. My guess is that they'll max out Andre Miller and Elton Brand (and, assuming they can get him for relatively cheap, Corey Maggette). Lamar Odom and Michael Olowokandi will BOTH get MONSTER offers from other teams, which means they won't be back.

In other words, are you SURE the Blazers couldn't get Olowokandi? Shouldn't the Clips get SOMETHING for that guy? Because, if they don't give him the contract he wants THIS summer (and it's looking like they won't, obviously), he'll be an UNrestricted free agent NEXT summer. There will be SEVERAL teams out there with enough cap room to sign the dude, which means that a sign-and-trade won't be necessary, which means that the Clips' former #1 overall pick in the draft will be let go, and that the team will get ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN RETURN. Is that wise?

In other words, the Clips may have no choice but to trade Olowokandi within the next 6-7 months. Same thing with Lamar Odom--the Nuggets or the Jazz can offer this dude the max (or close to it). Olowokandi in a sign-and-trade (maxed out) along with Odom and filler (Derek Strong, maybe Sean Rooks) could fetch quite a bit! How about this:

Olowokandi (maxed out PRIOR to the trade by the Clips), Odom (maxed out AFTER the trade by the Blazers), and Strong to the Blazers; Bonzi Wells (signed to a REASONABLE extension PRIOR to the trade by the Blazers), Dale Davis, Zach Randolph, and Qyntel Woods to the Clippers

Portland after this trade goes down:

Starting lineup

PG Stoudamire
SG Derek Anderson
SF Odom
PF Rasheed
C Olowokandi

Key reserves: Pippen, Patterson, Antonio Daniels, Kemp

End of the bench: Strong, Jennings, whoever else

The CLIPPERS after this trade goes down:

Starting lineup

PG Miller
SG Bonzi
SF Maggette
PF Brand
C Dale Davis

Cheap/young/talented reserves (7 dudes!): Quentin Richardson, Marko Jaric, Keyon Dooling, Zach Randolph, Chris Wilcox, Melvin Ely, Qyntel Woods

Veteran reserves (won't be re-signed after next season): Sean Rooks, Bryant Stith

ALSO! The Blazers could LATER (before the season starts) package Pippen with Daniels and Strong, they could get a LOT for these two guys. Why? Because they make a combined $20.9 mil next season--and then their contracts expire! There are a TON of teams out there who desperately want to clear payroll. Portland could trade these two guys for SEVERAL nice (but OVERPAID) players, they could put together a NICE bench, and I mean a NICE bench. They'd have a HUGE payroll, but hell, they already DO have a HUGE payroll, you know? I could sit here and type out all the combinations of players that Portland could get for Pippen-Daniels-Strong, but it would take a WHILE! Suffice it to say that there are a TON of POSSIBILITIES!

We'll see!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Hmmm...

Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
The Clippers AIN'T gonna be able to re-sign all those dudes next summer. My guess is that they'll max out Andre Miller and Elton Brand (and, assuming they can get him for relatively cheap, Corey Maggette). Lamar Odom and Michael Olowokandi will BOTH get MONSTER offers from other teams, which means they won't be back.
Everything that I've read about them, as said that they realize that Olowakandi is the most important guy to bring back... I fully expect them to resign all/most of their core.

I just don't understand why the Clippers would make that type of trade... they get huge downgrades at the C and SF position, just to get Bonzi (who I dont' think is significantly better than Q or Maggette and the 2), Randolph (when they already have Ely, who will fill exactly the same role... not to mention Wilcox growing into whatever role he has), and Qyntel (who they passed on twice).

I honestly believe that Donald Sterling will resign the guys he should sign, and has to sign. He's never done anything that hinted to me that he won't sign guys that are worth the money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts